Old 09-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Whitetail

Default Bow choice

Just new to the forum- great looking site. I have been asked to be a staff shooter at one of the local shops. I have a Protek with xt3000 limbs for indoors. What would you guys suggest for a 3D Bow. I only have a 27 " draw. Looking for something in the 35-38" A to A.

Along the same lines, what about a hunting bow?
Old 09-18-2008, 02:25 PM
Musk Ox

There are so many great choices these days...

Bowtech, PSE, Hoyt, Mathews....

All make great bows, it depends what your like.

I shoot a PSE X Force and love it....

I've shot Bowtechs and really liked them....

Its really up to you to shoot them all and decide what feels best...
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 09-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Bighorn

I have a hoyt vectrix and love it and my buddy has a PSE x-force Super short and I have shot it a few times a really like it too.

there is alot of good bows you just have to try a few at the store and see what you like.

timba
Old 09-19-2008, 12:41 AM
Muley

Shoot all that you can get your hands on and choose from there. I like the drenalin ld, katera xl, diamond marquis and my favorite the Elite xlr which is fast and forgiving, 36 ata and 8 3/8 brace height.
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Aftershock archery fieldstaff
OutfittersEdge fieldstaff
Easton Field Staff
08 Elite Z28
HHA 5519
Octane hostage
Easton camo axis 340
Old 09-19-2008, 07:21 AM
Whitetail

Thanks. I'm not a repair, fix, adjust type of guy, so anything I get I will need to get serviced at the pro shop. Pretty small shops here, so I'm limiting my choices to Hoyt or Mathews. My Hoyt really fits my grip well with sideplates. I took the grip off my Mathews SBXT, sanded it down as thin as I could get it.

Trying to get feedback on the 737, Prestige, Ultraelite, and Apex 7. I figure these 4 bows are all in my specs for length and trying to get as much speed as I can for 3D. Figure 27" draw, 60 lb draw wt, and 305 grain arrow.

I owned a Bowtech Liberty. Sweet hunting bow, but no bowtech dealers around here.

Any recommendations?
Old 09-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Moose

I've seen a lot of Apexes on the range. Will you be shooting hunter class? If so, you might save a couple of dollars by using one bow for hunting and 3D.

If you didn't know, all the single cams, including the Liberty, are in the Diamond line and the duals are in the Bowtech line.

Like York said, check 'em out and find what fits best in your hand. Try to get a smooth bow, if you can. I think that's really important on the range. You'll be doing a lot of hiking, and you don't want to have to fight with your bow, once you get to the next station.

BTW, welcome! It's nice to meet new friends!!

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 09-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Bighorn

Bows are like shoes. Have you ever had a pair of shoes that were just too small? Not wide enough? Or too big? That's the way the wrong bow feels.

When you are ready, the first thing you need to do is handle the bows. Go to the big box stores. Gander, Basspro, whatever. Pick one up. Walk around with it in your hand. Lift with with your right arm and hold it out as if at full draw. Put it down and pick up another one. Do the same thing. Cheri and I did this at Basspro for 5 weekends straight. We were finally asked what we were doing, and we told Doug, who now is a good friend, we're just trying them on. "Oh... ok... well let me know if I can answer any questions you have." Then we went to Gander and did the same thing. Then we went to Sportsman's warehouse. Did the same thing.

After handling the bows, I picked out three that I really liked and Cheri did too, and we hit all the websites we could find. We read review after review after review. And not the ones in the magazines either. They are typically paid by the manufacturers to write those. We went to Bowsite.com, Archers Choice, Hunting.net, etc etc etc. I asked more questions and more questions and more questions. People hated me. But I got the info I wanted and I feel like I made a good decision on my bow. You'll never hear Cheri say a bad thing about hers. I have an email address for the Customer Service Manager at Bowtech because of my persistance, and a friend I think too. Matter of fact, I called Bowtech and got a service guy, "He said.. Oh yeah...Rick... how's your Kryptic?"

The long and the short of it is that anything you chose should be because you've taken the time familiarize yourself with the bows, their feel, their capability, and more importantly, because you like it. GreatWhiteHunter shoots a Diamond, Cheri shoots a Diamond, I shoot a Redhead made by Diamond, & Preacher shoots an original Diamond Stinger. We bought the bows not because they have the Diamond name, but because we truly like the bows. If Martin or Hoyt or Matthews made my bow, I would buy my bow from them.

Finally, when you do get your bow... Watch the Tech as he/she sets up your bow. Learn from them. There really isn't much I can't do on my bow now. I asked questions along the way. "Hey why are you tying it that way?" or "Hey what does that do?"

You would be amazed as to how open these people are. Heck I still asking questions.

Bottom line... You'll know the second you lay a hand on the bow if its your bow or not. Not to romanticize this, but it really is as if the bow speaks to you.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Black Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittingguru View Post
Trying to get feedback on the 737, Prestige, Ultraelite, and Apex 7. I figure these 4 bows are all in my specs for length and trying to get as much speed as I can for 3D. Figure 27" draw, 60 lb draw wt, and 305 grain arrow.

I owned a Bowtech Liberty. Sweet hunting bow, but no bowtech dealers around here.

Any recommendations?

Out of the 4 bows you mention the 737, ultraelite and Apex 7 are great for 3-d. They all are very accurate bows to shoot. The Prestige is by far the fastest of them but with a 6Ē brace and 35 ĹĒ ATA not the most forgiving of the group. Now in the right hand with good form, it will tear up a 3-D course. I canít tell you if it would be a good fit for you or not because I donít know how you shoot. Only you know that for sure.
I know Iím already looking at what I want to shoot for next years 3-Ds. I shot a Drenalin LD this year with great success. I am also thinking about an Apex or Conquest 4, leaning toward the C4. With a slight interest in an Apex 7. Now if I was a Hoyt shooter I would look close at the proelite, ultraelite, 737 and pro38. All of these bow are very accurate and forgiving with good speed for 3-D. If you want to shoot with the big dogs donít rely on speed. It will never make up for all of the short comings of not being able to judge distance. Its accuracy and judging distance that wins. Just my 2 cents.

Take a kid out shooting. Try 3-D, they love it.

Hoyt Carbon Matrix Plus- Now On Order!!!
FMJ
Scent Lok
Old 09-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Whitetail

Here in Ohio you can shoot both crossbow and conventional. I shoot a parker compound and as far as the crossbow goes there no other way to go but TenPoint.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:42 AM
Whitetail

Arrowmike- thanks, that is the kind of info I was looking for. I know speed isn't the only factor, but this past year I was shooting 256 fps in MSR, so any 1-3 yd mistake in judging distance tore me up. I know, short of something like the Elite GT500 or the old Bowtech Black Knight, I'll probably not see 310 fps with my short draw. I was hoping to get at least 280 !! I shot the 737 the other day. That will be a tough bow to beat for smoothness !