Old 09-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Caribou

Hey y'all, I see Scott kept you up-to-date for the most part!

My dad is fine. He was kept in the hospital in Kremmling for 24 hours so they could monitor his heart through EKG's and some sort of enzyme test and they also did chest x-rays and it turns out that everything was normal with his heart. He was diagnosed with "acute pulmonary edema" meaning he had the fluid builing up in his lungs.

This whole episode really took the wind from mine and Brett's "sails" as we were worried about and really missing our dad. It was REALLY hard seeing him like that, struggling to breathe and beginning to panic. He NEVER panics. Frankly, it scared the heck out of Brett and I.

Dad's always with us on these hunts and his presence and words are always encouraging. He's a fun guy and pushes Brett and I to really "giver hell!". Without him there, it just wasn't the same. Even though he encouraged us over the phone, it didn't have the motivation it normally would knowing he was sitting in Ft. Collins alone.

The problem was we were un-prepared. We took WAAAAAY too much stuff into camp (though we were REALLY comfortable!). We should've just pulled off the side of the road and set up camp, then hiked in to hunt.

Oh well, live and learn, thankfully it turned out OK this time. By day 3 of the 5 day hunt, Brett and I were in better spirits but time was running out.

We had 4 bulls in range; a 5 x 5 that came into about 45 of my uncle but didn't offer a shot, a 5 x 5 and spike that hung up around 65-70 yards from me, my brother and our buddy Tom, and the monster that slipped in behind us and came to within about 75 yards of my brother and I. He was at least a 6 x 6. I still see him in my dreams! haha

Elk were everywhere, we saw some while driving into town to the hospital to drop our spare truck with my dad so he could drive to Ft. Collins, and everytime in the woods we were hearing and / or seeing them. In all, I saw 19 and Brett saw 28 of them. Most were glassed from a distance, but we saw fresh sign everywhere, we just couldn't put the pieces together to pull off a shot, but it was our first time out so we feel we did better than average.

On top of the elk and elk sign, we saw sign from mulies, bear, coyotes, moose, and mountain lion. Between driving out, hunting, and driving home, we saw elk, mulies, whitetails, moose, antelope, and 5 1-hump camels (yes, you read that right)!

I don't have the pictures uploaded as we just got home yesterday afternoon and I hadn't seen my 5 month pregnant wife in 2.5 weeks (she was in China the week before I left) and I was told I wasn't allowed to do anything but spend time with her! haha Not that I minded, especially when I asked if we could eat pizza and watch football all day and she said "Can we get half cheese and half pepperoni?" God I love her!

So, when I get pics uploaded, I'll post a link!

Thanks for the well wishes for my dad.

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 09-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Bighorn

Well... all in all I think it wasn't a bad trip considering. VERY happy to hear that your dad is ok. I KNEW I should have given you my cell phone number before you went out. I'm sorry for that oversight. I would have been more than happy to swing up and help your dad out. I'll send you a PM and make sure you have it for next time.

There are TONS of wildlife here. Yes, even camels. Odd as that sounds.

I for one was on the edge of my seat the whole time and when Scott took off... well... I held on as long as I could. You'll get one next time. Like you said... you learned a ton on this trip. That's a good thing. I guess from here... take care of momma and gear up for PA's opener.