Old 09-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACPOSSETIM View Post
sorry, forgot to add on the last post. Ralph is not ignoring you, R+V are currently Griz hunting in AK. It's kind of a mad dash from now until the end of the season so the schedule it pretty hectic, but I'm sure when he's in the office he'll reply as soon as he gets time.

I figured they were off killing something
Old 09-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Bighorn

Hey Caleb. I'm no expert, Lord knows, but I just re-read this thread twice and something just occurred to me. I figured at this point, what have I got to loose by asking...

Are you shooting a capture rest or a Whisker Biscuit by chance?

I used to have a biscuit on my bow. I spent hours and hours trying to get rid of the same issue. I went through 4 boxes of arrows. I changed the biscuit out for an Octane hostage rest thinking that might solve it. It shot ok, but after a few dozen shots or so, I was right back to the same thing.

I got my bow restrung about a month ago, and the guy who did it lazer tuned my center shot. Before the replacement, I was able to bullseye at 30 yards with little to no misses, but I saw that same cork-screw you mentioned every time.

The laser showed just how far out of whack the center shot was, but when he "corrected" it, my vanes were making MAJOR contact with the rest. Sounded like a bomb went off every time I shot, and I couldn't hit the same target at 10 yards.

I said screw it... I quit! I hung that friggin bow up one Sunday after 4 hours of pure Hell and took a few pictures for Ebay. It was gone... then my buddy Randy talked me off the ledge. I talked it over with a guy at BassPro, then Gander Mountain. Everyone I talked with suggested I try a fall-away rest, rather than the rests I was using. That has solved the issue. Period. I have shot at least 200 arrows though the thing since the change-over and I am back to splitting x's at 30 again, with no cork-screw. Its the darndest thing.

Cheri's bow was doing the same thing, though not to the same degree. She had the biscuit too, and we replaced it with the NAP 360 capture, but we never could get that center shot right. 2 weeks ago we put the same rest on her bow that I have now, and bam... problem solved.

You mentioned that you are shooting 2" blazers, so that's why I ask. I paid over $1200 for my setup, plus the other stuff I had to get along the way. Had Cheri not stopped me, I would have chucked that bow into the middle of Main Street from my driveway and never looked back. I understand the frustration. I really do.

Last edited by Colorado Rick; 09-16-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:32 PM
Bighorn

Dang here I go again...

You are shooting 400's??

I shoot my Kryptic at 57 lbs. I have a 29" arrow with a 28" draw.

Caleb.... I shoot the Epics at 340 spine with a 125 grain head/tip.

I think you have too much bow for the 400 shafts. Seriously.

Tim... tell me if I'm off base here, but I'm pretty sure that's the issue.

I am still curious about the rest too.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:59 PM
Antelope

ive actualy been using 400's and 340's during this whole ordeal. But according to easton 400's are right on the money for my arrow length, draw weight, draw length.

I do shoot a WB and am seriously thinking about a drop away, im just concerned about the whole moving parts thing with the drop aways.

Ive decided to put the paper away and just walk back tune it tomorrow and be done with it.

thanks
Old 09-17-2008, 07:12 AM
Musk Ox

I know alot of people who swear by a whisker biscuit... I'll actually start my kids with one...

I swear by drop away rests!!!!

I want as little touching my arrow after release as possible!!!!
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 09-17-2008, 08:21 AM
Bighorn

I cannot stress this enough. Dump that biscuit and grab a fall-away as soon as you can.

Also, shoot the 340's. I have the same thing. Easton says I should be shooting a 400, but they fly like crap out of my bow.

Easton says Cheri should be shooting 500 Axis, but her patterns are tighter with the 400.

We have the QAD hunter rests. They come with a bar that sits over the "Y" on the rest that almost acts like a biscuit would in that you can turn the bow 360' and the arrow won't fall off the rest. Easy installation. Comes with an instructional DVD, though I only needed it to verify I set it up right. Best of all... under $60.

Honest to Pete I really feel that biscuit is the root of all of your evils.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Musk Ox

dump the WB!!!!!

REAL PEOPLE.
REAL HUNTING.
REAL ADVENTURE.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Moose

If you want a capture rest and dropaway in one. Checkout the NAP sizzors. Holds the arrow in place but as soon as you shoot its a dropaway.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Antelope

alright, I got so agravated I took the rest off the bow and started all over this morning. Paper tuned again, BULLET HOLES!! walk back tuned, PERFECT LINE!! shot a bare shaft w/FP, fletched shaft w/fp, flethced shaft with mechanical bh, flethed shaft with fixed blade bh. all arrows touching(minus a few fletchings) thank god! No idea what it was but its gone. O' and perfect arrow flight.

thanks for all the replies!!

--c--
Old 09-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Moose

Glad you got it were you want it. Nothing is more frustrating then trying to sight a gun or bow in when it doesnt want to play nice. Now get out there and kill a big one!