Old 09-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Bighorn

There is just no substitute for shooting the night before to shake out any missed foul ups. Tonight we shot Cheri's bow and I noticed a very slight tail out at 30, and a major one at 40.

How nice. One night before we are supposed to leave, and I see this! Well easily fixed. We dumped the straight fletched 2" blazers in favor of 4" vanes with a right helical. Problem solved.

We even got a prairie dog hunt in tonight just to see what's what. Ever hunt dogs with a bow? Well unless you can shoot 70 yards or more, forget it out here! The little buggers dove deep quick! I took a shot at one that was straddling his hole but I understimated the shot and missed by 2 yards. I did get a good giggle as his little butt suddenly inverted and he skeetered down his hole as the shaft hit the dirt. Man that was funny. We camped out about 40 yards away from two more for Cheri to get a shot in, but they wouldn't surface. She got bored and saw some sparrows that were raising cane about God knows what, so she centered the 50 yard pin in the middle of the group and let fly.

I laughed like crazy when the flew off, but then Cheri turned to me with her hand on her mouth. Turns out her arrow clipped the tail of one of them as it came in and sent feathers flying! I thought it was dirt. Oopps.

Well... what can you do. It flew off cursing her I'm sure. Earlier in the day I got bored so I got a hair cut. I'll never understand why I have hair in my ears. Little ones, but they are there. The gal that cut it took her neck shavers and tickled the heck out of me when she cut those little ones out. It makes no sense. I'm losing hair where I need it and getting hair where I don't???

Well... We have one more day. We're loading the van tonight, and then off to bed. Sure hope we can sleep. Tomorrow is gonna be a long day at work.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:00 AM
Musk Ox

Give a few years...The hair thing just gets worse.

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 09-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Bighorn

For those that don't already know, I work for a major investment company. We work mainly in mutual funds, at least on my end of the business. We trade funds, we change investment allocations, we discuss retirement options... what have you.

The trouble with mutual funds, as opposed to other types of investments, and more to the point, the trouble with mutual funds in regards to my situation today, is that all trades are effective when the Stock Market closes. That would be 4 pm Eastern. Part of my job, when I take a trade request, is to inform my client that the change would become effective as of 4 pm Eastern. Any other day but today, I would not find a quarrel with this statement.

Today... saying 4 pm is like being in a crucible that is slowly tightening around my head. And the closer we get to 4 pm, the tighter that becomes. Granted, 4 pm Eastern is 2 pm my time. I still will have 2 and a half hours to go until I can dawn my civies, drop the tie, and head out. But still... 4 pm... its like nails on a chalkboard at this point.

Last edited by Colorado Rick; 09-22-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Bighorn

And we're off!! Confidence is very high as we embark onto yet another journey! Cheri met me in front of my office building and I think I nay have set a world record changing from my cloth pants and button down shirt into my much preferred t-shirt and shorts. Ah. Mo Bettah!

I have droned on enough about getting there, so I will spare you the details of the trip up the mountain. Besides... seen one... seen them all, right?

so... from lovely Evergreen, Colorado... good day!

Last edited by Colorado Rick; 09-22-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Moose

Where have I been! This is the first I saw this post Rick! Please forgive me buddy. When you get one make sure you give me a call.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:34 AM
Musk Ox

Rick,
I hope ya'll both put the SMACK on a biggun.

Keep us informed...

Be safe.

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 09-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Bighorn

Day 1 ended as it began: Empty. It was dark as dark can get. I've never seen so many stars. My dad used to describe deer camp nights as, "Someone spilled salt on a pitch-black table cloth." I would say he was right on the money. They were everywhere. I wish the same could be said for the deer.

The landscape is absolutely outstanding. From the highway heading east from my inlaws house, 80% of the view is filled with Mesas. I'm not sure how many make up the chain, but there are a lot, and they are right there. Not more than five minutes away in fact. My beloved Rocky Mountains are in sight from my house, but they are 45 minutes out with light traffic.

Once you reach the 10000+ foot table-top of Grand Mesa, (really just matter of minutes via numerous switchbacks) you are greeted by a wide variety of vegetation ranging from scrub brush to eons old Juniper trees. They were once just bushes, but I say any plant that is taller than me is a tree. These things are huge.

After a morning filled with plenty of mishaps and too little sleep, we drove to a state wildlife area near the city of Colbran. We toyed with the idea of walking the area in order to break the Mule Deer out of their beds, but the heat of the day and head to toe Realtree AP forced us to settle nicely into a makeshift natural ground blind.

Coyote howled and barked in every direction. Rifle hunters readied their weapons for the coming rifle season, and the pounding, unrelenting sun sealed our fate.

The last estimate I saw on the Grand Mesa Deer herd population put them somewhere near 29000+. The tracks and droppings we found might very well support that estimate. There are literally trails that intersect four different ways that are loaded with prints of various animals on the Mesa. I'm fairly certain we were able to identify a rather large and unsettling black bear track as well. Front paw-print to back paw-print was about 5 to 5 1/2 feet. Good bear for out here. I would love to get an idea of what the skull could...

Last edited by Colorado Rick; 09-23-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Bighorn

square out at. I imagine it would be significant. At any reate. day one is in the bag... and we are too. As I feared, first day anxiety kept us both up last night. I am slipping away as I write this, and 4:30 is fast approaching. Tonight... we will sleep.

Sorry for the break in posts. My phone can only contain so many characters. Cheri has been taking pictures when she can, and I hope to get them on here soon, so you can see what I am trying to impart here. It's a beautiful setting. It really is.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:57 AM
Musk Ox

Good Luck buddy!!!!
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 09-24-2008, 07:42 AM
Musk Ox

Good Luck!

-----------------------------
I'm Proof As To What Little Girls Are Made Of
**GUNPOWDER & LEAD**
-----------------------------