Old 09-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Muley

what can go wrong next?was planning on taking the dog out this morning for geese,but yesterday she broke out in a rash!don't know what she got into and to top that off i was up all night because she started throwing up every hour and a half.hope she's not allergic to geese-lol.brought her to the vet,nothing plugged up inside, glad of that ,last year when she was 6 months old she missed the season when we were up north and she slid the side window open on the cap and jumped out at 50 mph.on the highway,lots of road rash and a chipped bone above her knee on her back leg that needed surgery to remove.won't be doing that any more-unless she can get out of her crate too.there's alot of wasp around maybe she snapped at one and got stung.or found something in the yard to eat that i didn;t see.---encore ps nice bunch of geese adam,good shooting!
Old 09-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Musk Ox

Encore,
She ain't been running around with BullMoose when he's playing in his poison oak tree, has she?

Seriously, Some dogs will break out in a heck of a rash if they're having allergic reactions to flea bites. Hope she's better soon.

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 09-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Muley

no poison ivy around but saturday evening she was running in circles like something was biting her rear,did check for fleas-kinda hard to see on a choc. lab,so i put some frontline plus on her anyways,because that is what i thoght it was too.i'm sure she'll be fine. thanks encore
Old 09-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Bighorn

Starting to sound like me.

Don't ask "What next?" because you WILL find out.

She'll be ok. Did her diet change at all?
Old 09-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Muley

no diet change,she doesn't get no people food either. learned from the last dog,people don't seem to like having, a dog staring at them and drooling on there feet while their eating!this one just lays down somewhere out of the kitchen when were eating.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Whitetail

Send a message via AIM to reed2204

congrats! we have piles like that from snows last year.. not canada's.. Hopefully the pictures get sent to me tonight and i'll post from the first day and today.. we hunted a local farm and had a flock of about 20 come in and circled until we didn't think they were going to commit and knocked them down then the went like 150 yards and came right back in and we ended up shooting at the same flock 3 times but only knocked down 10.. we got 7 bands out of the 10 birds tho.. and lost one in the creek.. we're shooting the local bands like crazy.. we have 13 bands so far out of maybe 20 birds
Old 09-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Caribou

encore, that's too bad about the dog, I hope she's ok, monitor her closely and keep the vet abreast of her condition. Hope she's ok.

reed, unfortunately, we don't have much in the way of snows though we did get one wayward goose last year.

We shot like champs, one volley put 12 birds down then we called them back around and I dropped a sailer. A little dog work and he was recovered though.

We took 21 birds out of 3 flocks in the morning and then took 8 of the 15 out of 1 flock in the evening.

We don't have much in the way of bands either up here. A good year for us is 2-3. I think the most we've got in one year, doves, ducks, and geese combined was probably 6-7 over a couple hundred birds.

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 09-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Whitetail

Send a message via AIM to reed2204

we were like that as well, last year we shot 100+ canada's and 1 band out of those, the snows we had somewhere between 450 to 500 and 4-5 bands.. my one buddy shot a snow last year that had "write d.c." on the band and the number.. he called it in then and it ended up being 19 years old.. and i'm not sure if we got any duck bands last year.. but this year they banded probably 75% of the local flocks.. i heard they banded doves around my area as well but haven't seen or heard of any being shot..
Old 09-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Musk Ox

I've heard of them banding ducks and geese for years but haven't heard of the dove banding. They are migratory birds though. Reckon this is about the only way they can track 'em. Be kinda hard stringing that on a call cord.

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 09-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Caribou

The very first bird my lab ever retrieved for me was a banded dove, the first I'd ever seen! I have it clamped around the cord on my call lanyard that holds his whistle.

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick