Old 09-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Bighorn

Default Coyote Hunting

So Tuesday marked my 5th trip up to the grasslands in search of a bushy tail.

This time I was packin my 3040 Krag, all the camo I could come up with, scent killer, my distress call, my Thermacell, and one new item for this adventure.

Cheri and I were over to the Gander Mountain recently, and we were looking at the electronic calls. Man they are somethin... Different variations of calls from rabbit distress to pups yelping to lost Yote calls looking for the pack. Cool! Until I looked at the prices! GOOD NIGHT!!! $120!! You are freakin kidding me right??? Sure they are high tech and all, and easy to use... Blah blah blah. But $120 to take an animal that doesn't even have a season here????? PLEASE!!!!

Well if you don't know my ways by now, here it is. I look at something long enough, and I'll figure out a way to make it myself. So I did just that. I started on EBay and found:

a 5" Public Address loudspeaker. $9.95 + $5.00 shipping.
75 feet of speaker wire at Walmart. $7.00
4 Johnny Stewart Predator Cassette tapes. $14.00 @ Gander Mountain
1 Old Panasonic Cassette player. EBay estate auction - $15.00 + $5.00 shipping.
4 "C" batteries from Big Lots - $5.00
2 rolls of Camo tape - $5.50 total at Gander.
Total Spent = $66.45

I taped the heck out of the speaker and the player so well that I had a hard time finding the speaker when I was moving from one spot to another.

I had all the equipment loaded into my pack and headed off for a Yote hunt with hopes of placing a few LDP's on here for all to see... but alas... I am still 0-fer.

The call worked really well! I was suprised how heavy it was after about 5 miles of walking, but overall I am pleased with the performance. I did manage to call in 4 black cows that were wandering the plains, and about 400 head of Antelope decided to check it out too. But no coyotes were spotted period. I noticed too that the usual big numbers of rabbit I have seen out there were not present either. Hmmm...

Well it was a different spot than I normally go to, but that is where we saw a big red and grey one run into last time we were up there.

Oh well. I'll be trying again when the snow falls.

Last edited by Colorado Rick; 09-11-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rick View Post
So Tuesday marked my 5th trip up to the grasslands in search of a bushy tail.
When you say you went "up" to the grasslands I'm assuming your talking about PNG. There is some good hunting up there. I still go back there every 5 or 6 years to do some calling. I called in my first coyote there back in 1970. It was loaded with coyotes.............

Is your E-call load enough to call in the wind?

Last edited by wyote; 09-17-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:27 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyote View Post
When you say you went "up" to the grasslands I'm assuming your talking about PNG.
Yes sir. Pawnee National Grasslands.

Quote:
There is some good hunting up there. I still go back there every 5 or 6 years to do some calling.
I'll say this much for it. There are more antelope out there per square inch than I have ever seen before. Oh and some HUGE rabbit! These things pop out as we are headed into our chosen area and scare the beJezuz out of me. Little fuzzy Mack trucks!

Quote:
I called in my first coyote there back in 1970. It was loaded with coyotes.............

Is your E-call load enough to call in the wind?

I am told they are still up there. I think I'm just going too early. The hunger of fall and winter hasn't set in yet.

I believe the call is oud enough because the cattle keep coming in to investigate. Every now and again I'll even get one of the antelope to turn a head too. Plus my neighbor dogs freak out every time I tinker with it in the garage.

Where have you been??? We were about to form a western posse and go after you!
Old 09-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Antelope

Quote:
Where have you been??? We were about to form a western posse and go after you!
I'm around, I just been lurking! Hunting seasons are starting up so I'll get a little more hopped up seeing every ones post and pictures

Keep up the posting on coyotes (or any other varmints for that matter). There my favorite thing to hunt, and I really enjoy hearing about hunts.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Bighorn

I surely will! Successful or not!

If nothing else... October 1 small game season is open. Think I might be up for a little Rabbit ala Easton!
Old 09-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Moose

Quote:

Oh and some HUGE rabbit! These things pop out as we are headed into our chosen area and scare the beJezuz out of me. Little fuzzy Mack trucks!
I think bullmoose should help you with the rabbit problem. Right, bull???

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 09-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Bighorn

OK... Spill it.