Old 08-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Whitetail

Default The biggest deer you ever missed?

I hope that I am not the only one... But I have missed two bucks in the 160's in my life. One, which my brother shot was 164 inches, one is still running I hope, about a 160 inch 12 point that I missed last year.

Dan
Old 08-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Bighorn

Mullies I have made some bad miskates archery hunting them over the years the biggest I missed was probably 200+.He was beded down in a big slough in the middle and I snuck down the fence line in the tall grass and a buddy was going to try and push him towards me,the deer got up and ran hard right towards me.I thought he was going to run me over so I stood up and he cut right of me and over the fence into posted land and never seen him again.

I have shot the biggest WT I ever came across at 145 last fall.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Moose

The biggest I missed with a gun was probably in the 130's in 1993. The biggest with bow I think it scored in low 140s. It was shot later on in archery. If I remember right it was 142. I would love to have that shot back. Funny thing is that was the only time I hunted that piece of property. im spoiled with being able to walk out the front door and go hunting.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Bighorn

August 1996. 6:03 am

I was driving to Chicago to see a friend and this HUGE deer pops out from the trees on the river side of the highway. The sun had just started to rise, and I was bleary-eyed from driving all night.

I was in the only vehicle on the road and luckily was able to swerve, and I just missed a perfect broadside. Granted, his rack would have looked really good on the wall, but only after it was removed from my transmission.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Antelope

130+ 12 in Florida. It was killed two weeks later by a gun hunter. Missed him at 21 yards 30 minutes after killing a doe at 30 yards. Still kicking myself and that was in 1997.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Caribou

Biggest MISS was a 140's 10 in KS two years ago, that one is annoying but doesn't bother me too much. I just screwed up, it was about lunchtime and I was getting ready to eat. The deer came in from behind me and caught me off guard. I had a decoy out, he hade came to it and was a little uneasy. Well, he spooked and started to run away, I got drawn and stopped him at what I thought was 40 yds....must have been more like 35. I almost took hair off him...oh well it happens. The one that really bothers me is a 155-160 12 that I called in and he stopped broadside 25 yds behind a tree that I debated about cutting down for a shooting lane, aparently I should have. Then he tried to circle downwind, bringing him past me at 12 yds. I hit full draw, waited for him to step into an opening, put the pin on his chest, then mouth grunted to stop him. Let's just say I'll never grunt at a deer that close again he freaked, ran out to 60 yds, blew like crazy and then walked off. That is the one I want back, I think because he busted me, not because I missed. I hate it when the deer are smarter that us....like they should know grunts don't come from 25' up an oak tree!!!

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 08-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Caribou

I haven't see the really big one to miss yet. When I do I hope I won't be talking about the miss

George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Old 08-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Black Bear

The biggest with a gun is a 160+ in Ohio in 2006 and with a bow a 140 here in Va. in 1990. would love to have both to do over.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Moose

Well oneshot you dont need to worry about missing anymore big ones. I heard your wife is gonna call first shot on the big ones. And Im sure she will score!
Old 08-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Black Bear

I'll just find a tree covered with poison oak and I'll have it to myself she wants no part of that again