Old 08-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Caribou

Exclamation Were Back & w/Bucks!!

Wish us luck!

I am just about to get off work, then it's off to load the camper, and at 5:00am tomorrow we head to the east side of the state, for our 1st hunt of the season!! Antelope can't wait!

We get back late Monday, so Tuesday I will let you all know how it goes.

Have a great weekend everyone!

DOUBLE G OUTFITTERS

Last edited by bowing4bulls; 08-27-2008 at 11:12 AM. Reason: change title
Old 08-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Bighorn

Good luck soldier!

We're all rootin for ya!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Bighorn

good luck

timba
Old 08-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Elk

Waiting for the pics!!! Good luck!!!!
Old 08-21-2008, 07:45 PM
Moose

go get'em tiger!
Old 08-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Muley

Good luck. Can not wait to see the pictures.
Steel Force 125gr Phat Head
12 Gauge Browining
Realtree AP
Old 08-22-2008, 07:36 AM
Black Bear

Good luck and take lots of pictures.

Matt
Old 08-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Musk Ox

Good luck and be careful!

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 08-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Caribou

Hey everyone we're back and man was that a fun hunt! Antelope were everywhere! When we got their Friday, we set up the camper at the KOA, and then went to our ranch to check it out. We found the ranch crawling with antelope, and a few nice bucks! in which put a on our face.

The next morning was cool and crisp, as we headed down the road from camp to ranch, eating breakfast burritos, both of our minds racing, wondering what this cool New Mexico morning had in store for us. We got to our ridge top and waited to see what the rising sun would revel to us in the valley below. It was not long before we could see antelope on the other side of the valley! Well now we had found them but the hard part now is getting close enough for Dana to get a shot, the buck we spotted was about a 1/4 mile away, so off we went started off walking then went to a low walk and then to a all out craw (all the way hopping not to run in eye to eye with a rattlesnake) for the last 150yrs or so. now we were about 200yr and the buck (a nice looking one) new we were their, but was unable to figure out what we were, and ended up coming 50yrs closer, making the shot 150yrs! Now before I go on remember, this is Dana's first hunt ever so you know how she was feeling right about now. She was set up on the bi-pod, and for the first time ever she was looking at an animal through scope not a target! " how dose the shot feel?" I asked, "good" she replied "are you comfortable? "yes, he looks good" "well when he gives you a shot and it feels good to you take it" "ok" she said. My Harte was racing,the seconds felt like minutes, and I wasn't even the one shooting! BOOM! The buck was now on a died run away from us no sign of being shot he then stopped looked back at us for a minute or two and then just walked over the ridge unharmed.

After that we made a stock on a few other bucks, but were unable to close the distance for a good shot. Then we went back the truck to move to a different part of the ranch, and when we were about 2 hundred yards out the gate we spotted the buck she had shot at earlier! Going back in the gate we parked the truck and walked up the hill, the buck was now 100yrs and working his way toward us!! at about 80yrs he stop and turned just perfect, he was looking at something down the hill, BOOM!! a shot racing out as the buck dropped to the ground!! I looked at Dana and she had the BIGGEST smile I had ever seen!!!

Now it was my turn to try my luck at a speedgoat! That evening after we had Dana's buck all taken care of, we headed back to the ranch this time we went to the east end of the same valley we'd been hunting. We got out of the truck to go glass a water tank, and as soon as we got over the ridge we could see antelope, about 13 antelope were watering at the tank out in the middle of the valley, so here we went again low walk/crawling toward these antelope. Finally we were 230yrs and the antelope had no idea we were their, But the cows did! yes about 10 cows come right up behind us looking to see what was going on, and I mean Right behind us as in 15ft!! behind us, but the cows seemed to have helped us! not only did they brake up the back ground, but since the cow were not alert nether were the antelope, so we had all the time in the world, we sat their for at lest 10 minutes scoping out the bigger bucks and just wached the antelope feed there way up the hill. Now its time for a shot I pick out an nice buck about 200yrs away, layed the cross hires right were they should be and squeezed the trigger BOOM! through the scope I could see the bullet fly right over the buck and into the hill behind him! "MISSSED!!" I said! the antelope ran a little ways and stopped looking around confused? and then they all went over the hill, "come on maybe we can cut them off" I tolled Dana, so up off we went to go see where the antelope were heading! We got to the top and could see the antelope spread out below us, some were running some were walking and some were doing both. We set up on the Bi-pod and ranged them at 263yrs! There were 3 bucks behind the rest of the herd, and one looked like a nice buck, with him in my cross hires I let out a loud whistle and all 3 bucks stopped, I put the hires just right and BOOM!...the buck dropped dead!!

http://pictures.aol.com/ap/viewHoo.do?type=photoPile&size=LS&logoUrl=http%3A% 2F%2Fpictures.aol.com&aimName=kressnmbigbulls&aolA lbumId=1uXYxRKKm4TigLsKh%2B0wXNarvgerCkqeQTqtsYu%2 FE9uJJdNX5w59hg%3D%3D&noLogo=true&bgcolor=000000

DOUBLE G OUTFITTERS

Last edited by bowing4bulls; 08-26-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Musk Ox

Except for the green grass, that area looks a lot like the land just below Boise, Idaho. Congrats on the hunt! Maybe one of these days I'll get back out that way.

Proud Parent of a Marine