Old 08-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Muley

Default Machinery and hunting

I have read a couple threads on other sites how hunters were complaining about the farmer or rancher on hunting trips messing up hunts but here is one for you that goes the other way. My dad was bailing hay on our ranch today and each windrow he would get closer and closer to a bedded antelope buck. He decided to go get the Hunter that was sitting on a nearby waterhole and they made a little plan. Dad was just going to continue bailing like he would and the Hunter just walked beside the baler and when they got even with the bedded antelope buck dad gave the Hunter the signal and he just drew his bow back and stopped walking and there was the antelope 25 yards away. The antelope buck stood up and Hunter connected. Definitely not conventional but it sure did work. If somebody would send me a e-mail that knows how to post pictures I can send it to them. hunt@huntsd.net
Old 08-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Moose

Check your email Randy. Thats a pretty cool story! Holly and I have been talkig about antelope alot lately. That was an awesome experience. If the economy becomes stable and my job becomes stable. We will be coming out to visit again.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Musk Ox

REAL PEOPLE.
REAL HUNTING.
REAL ADVENTURE.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Moose

Super looking goat!
Old 08-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Caribou

Rick (not you CR) was combining beans last year and made several passes past a bedded 150's double drop. He got within 20 yds and the buck slowly gout up and walked off. I asked him, "why didn't you call me?" and he said he didn't really think about it. He called me later in the day to let me know. I was thinking of using the same strategy of walking next to the combine but I'm not sure if it would be legal or not here in IL? Or even just set up on the far side of the field and wait for combine to bump the deer and hope he runs my way.

I don't mind tractors, we hunt mainly farm ground and it helps get the deer moving.

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 08-21-2008, 06:47 AM
Musk Ox

Lets face it...

If it weren't for farmers alot of us wouldn't have anywhere to hunt!!!

We definitely wouldn't have anything to eat.

God Bless em!!!!
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 08-21-2008, 07:10 AM
Black Bear

In our area the machinery doesn't bother them much as long as it is an ongoing thing in the area. I shot afew deer on logging trails five minutes behind the skidders after they have passed my stand. Now if all year the animals don't hear an tractor or anything then one day there is alot of noise in the area along with human present it has an different effect, given time they will get used to it and settle back into there patterns.

Matt
Old 08-21-2008, 07:46 AM
Musk Ox

Nice Antelope!!

A Combine in my area is like a Dinner Bell going off!! They flock to the fields that evening after taking the crops off.

-----------------------------
I'm Proof As To What Little Girls Are Made Of
**GUNPOWDER & LEAD**
-----------------------------
Old 08-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Musk Ox

My cousin(another farmer) has told me time and again about deer standing within 50yds of his tractor while mowing or whatever. You can stop the tractor, leave the motor running and the deer just stand there. Turn it off and they haul butt! They don't pay much mind to his Gator either.

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 08-21-2008, 09:01 AM
Bighorn

There is a guy up here that was running his combine and a herd of elk wondered out into the feild to eat.He kept going for a few more hours and the combine didn't bother them so the next morning he went out there and the elk were still in the feild so he started up the combine and drove it close and as the bull elk stayed at it he snuck around and shot the bull with his bow.

timba