Old 08-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Elk

In Texas a buck a lb.

In Montana deer = 45 bucks any size, elk are 200 any size where we go. Pretty good deal but we've been using the same guy up the road for like 20 years.

These are regular cuts, steaks, chops, roasts, stew meat, ground, etc.

Hogs are also a buck a lb in Texas regular cuts = pork chops, ham steaks, breakfast sausage, ribs.

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak
Old 08-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rick View Post
Yeah we get killed out here too.

I should really take the time to learn this aspect of it. Any suggestions?
There are some awesome videos out there that can get you started. I'll try to find the one I have and send you the name. It really is a good way to bond with your kids also. My 10 yr old has been doing it for 3 yrs now and my 6yr old for 1 yr. It might take a little more time with them helping but it really helps with talking and teaching them about the whole process of scouting, hunting, and then taking care of the animal you harvested. Not only that they get a sense of satisfaction when you take meat from the freezer and they helped with it. I'm done rambling now.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Elk

When you're cutting up 11 deer, it's midnight, and the mountain of shoulders doesn't ever seem to get shorter...it sucks!

Season before last we started cutting at 5:30 PM and worked non-stop until 4:30 the next morning. My brothers-in-law told me if I shot another deer it would still be hanging there when I came back the next year!

Can't tell you how many times I had to stop and resharpen or clear the grinder. Good lord! We processed, packaged, labeled, and put away over 400 lbs of deer meat that night! It was excruciating. I'm happy to take mine to the processor.

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak
Old 08-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Antelope

I used to pay a butcher 100 per deer and I got any cuts or sasauge I wanted. I have been cutting my own for years now. I hang in the garage and de-bone, then put on ice for 3-4 days. Then I cut the whole thing into steaks and package all in single size meals. all the scraps go to the "stew" meat bag for winter time.

Note: take any cut off a deer, elk ect.(or any duck breast)

rub with kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and garlic, put in zip lock, submerge in extra virgin olive oil. Put in fridge for a day, grill rare to med rare, eat. You will love it. For all you waterfowlers, it even makes ringer breast taste like a filet.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Caribou

Wink

If I take it to the Butcher it is about $80 for steaks, burger, sausage, cubed back strap.

I also do it myself and it does not take that long so cost is zippo

George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Old 08-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Antelope

Send a message via ICQ to yogi

here it is $25.00 just to skin .. and $0.68 a lb to cut, wrap and frezze ..last year my elk cost in the range of $450.00 to have the meat shop do it.

but put it in the oven at 375 dec. for three hours and what do you get ...GOOD EATS.....