Old 08-18-2008, 09:09 AM
Musk Ox

Default Easton GameGetter Arrows

What kind of arrows would you guys reccomend for my setup?

I'm shooting Easton XX75 GameGetters II's 1816 Lite's
Shooting just over 40#'s with a 25" Draw.

I love the way the GameGetter's shoot, but do you think they're too light for my poundage?

-----------------------------
I'm Proof As To What Little Girls Are Made Of
**GUNPOWDER & LEAD**
Old 08-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Bighorn

If you can afford the kick in the wallet, I would take a look at the Easton Axis Nano. 400 for your set up if you are already shooting XX75 with no trouble.
The XX75 are around 9.1 gpi I think and the Nanos come in at 9.2. Had a guy this weekend try and tell her to shoot the 600's and I politely said no thanks. She's splitting X's at 40 with the Nanos.

The idea with a lighter shooting bow is to make up for the speed by banging out the KE. In other words, a slower set up could make up ground on the faster bow by shooting a heavier projectile. Duane, York Archer, had a really good analogy on another post that is slipping my mind right now.

The Nano are not as wide as what you are used to. Matter of fact, you might laugh when you compare the fat XX75 to the Nanos sleek build, but they will pack a wallup. Cheri's 42lb bow is shooting them at 24" with a 125 grain broadhead. BOOOM! We bought a new target and she is burying them as deep as I do out of my bow. They have the HIT (Hidden Insert Technology) inserts which at first seem a little strange, but you quickly find out it's an awesome thing.

The Beman ICS hunters are a good shaft too, and the newer versions are equipping the HIT insert now too, partly I'm sure because Easton now owns the Beman name. Again, I think if you are shooting the XX75 you should be just fine in the 400. I can not remember for the life of me what the gpi is on an ICS Hunter 400. I have a few of the 340 and they are 9.3 gpi, so it should be less, but in that neighborhood.

That's my input.

Last edited by Colorado Rick; 08-18-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Bighorn

Quick Follow-Up:

I went back and forth between the 500 and the 400 because she is shooting the 1816's, but ultimately, I'll stand by the 400 seeing what it does for Cheri's shots.

Anyone add to this?
Old 08-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Musk Ox

Thanks Rick! The Axis are nice, but they're Carbon right? Carbon just make me kind of leery with some of the stories I've heard. Mainly the ones where they blow up if they get cracked and you don't see it.

**GUNPOWDER & LEAD**
Old 08-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Bighorn

Yep they are, but it takes a lot to crack the shafts. Ummmm... I think we can all agree, other than the hot water heater, I've shot just about everything out there that isn't alive with my bow and carbon arrows.

I've seen them snap, and aside from a Robin Hood, I've not seen them splinter. I think the construction has changed some.

It's a valid concern, but the shafts that Bull shot into the water heater are carbon. GWH, Nate, Randy, Ralph, Vicki, Joe, Freddy, many many many others shoot a carbon shaft without too many issues.

If you want, I'll cut down a shaft for your bow... Better yet, I'll fletch up two or three with different vane sets and you can see which you like better. We have a bunch of spares because we were changing arrows like most people change socks.

If you still don't like carbons, then I'll personally research every aluminum shaft I can find and get you the reports. Sound good?
Old 08-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Bighorn

Oh yeah... I learned a real quick test to check for cracks.

Remove any broadheads and the nocs.

Hold the arrow at either end and bend it slightly.

No crunching sounds? Spin the arrow slightly in you fingers and repeat until you hear the cracking, or if you don't, until you have spun the arrow about 3 times.

The good thing about the carbons and this check... there is no mistaking a cracked shaft. you know instantly.

Not fool proof, but then again nothing is.

Easton makes some tough shafts. Seriously.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Musk Ox

Another good test for cracks...Unscrew the head and tap the shaft on a solid object, like the side of your bow. If ya hear any rattly, rasping noises don't shoot it.

I've broken one shaft(carbon) in the last year. This one went thru the target(it had most of the center shot out and I shouldn't have been shooting it anymore) thru 2 pieces of 1/2'' plywood and smacked into a pole that holds my chainlink fence up. I think it cracked from being bent after sliding around the pole.

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 08-21-2008, 08:40 AM
Musk Ox

Thanks for the info on the Carbons! I'll have to give them a better look now. It might even add a little speed too.
I appreciate the offer on the arrows Rick, but I won't put you out. I'll do a little fishing around and see what I might find. Checking out the Easton site now, headed for the Nano info now.

**GUNPOWDER & LEAD**
Old 08-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Bighorn

It's no trouble.

If you shoot a 24" arrow... send me a PM.

I have some Nano... Nanoes... Nanum... Nani... Nan... (what's the plural for Nano???) cut to 24" that Cheri can't use now, and they need a good home.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Elk

You'll get speed from the Gold Tip Ultra Lites too at less weight. They are nearly the toughest arrow out there. They use much more carbon than fiberglass in their weave.

I plan on changing at some point from my Maxima 350's to the GT Ultra Light 500's. They will be 50gr lighter, have a spine commensurate with my draw weight, and will increase my arrow speed (and KE) by as much as 16 feet per second. Plus they are stronger. They have more carbon in the shaft than the Maximas. They breakdown much slower an will pass a spin test long after the Maximas fail. But, currently I do love the Maximas and they are great arrows. I won't go to GT's until my Maximas are all busted or lost by hogs.

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak