Old 08-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Whitetail

Default selfguided elk?

I missed a tv progam 8-17 " Elk Mania" w selfguided tips. Any help out there?

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Bighorn

Look for water, use GPS and Goggle Earth in combination with a good Topo map.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Whitetail

This is something I have thought about for years, just I can not find anyone in my area that wants to do this sort of thing.

Rick , Do you hunt Elk ? and do you have any advice for areas or locations to start ?...
Old 08-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Bighorn

I wish. This year may be the first year. I was just giving a synopsis of the info from the show today.

What I know of elk you could fill a thimble with. So I am going to "borrow" some info from the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, and maybe this can help some others out too.

http://www.rmef.org/AllAboutElk/WhatAreElk/

I'll create a new post for this one. Look for Elk 101.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Antelope

Send a message via ICQ to yogi

1# elk tip ..GET A GOOD COW CALL. if you ever watched an elk hunt on tv ..you see the cow call is the most important call.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Musk Ox

In my honest opinion....you have two choices.

#1 Read up as much as you can on elk hunting and give it a try on public land. Your chances are not that good so treat the hunt as a camping trip in the Rockies with an elk encounter being a big bonus.

#2 Read up as much as you can to get a good understanding of the basics....then then book a drop-camp hunt with a reputable outfitter....preferably on private land.

I've been on several DIY hunts in different areas of Colorado and one thing is consistent....crowded. If we got lucky and found that we had the area all to ourselves.....what did the crew that may have been in there the week before do? Did the booger all of the elk??? Are the elk even there??? They were last year....are they back again????

A successful archery elk hunt is a low percentage task at best. Put the odds in your favor by hunting private land where the number of hunters is controlled. Hunt with an outfitter that knows the area and knows the elk. Do a drop-camp hunt and you don't have to worry about packing all of the extra camping gear out west with you.

Back to the DIY's for a moment....friends and I have hunted the same area in Colorado for the last 4 years. Each of us couldn't make it every year but those that could hunted the same area. This location was selected after doing a lot of research.

It took us almost 3 years to really understand the area and one of us was able to put it all together on the 4th year. Each year we tried a different week of the season and each year had its challenges.....crowded, hot weather, etc.

We are very confident this is a great area.....the planets just need to be in perfect alignment to make everything come together...with the biggest hurdle being too many hunters.

This is why I now prefer a drop-camp hunt at a minimum. You may still be hunting public land on this hunt, but you will probably be a long way from any public road.

Don't get me wrong.....DIY's are fun but there are no great expectations of being successful. Those trips were fun but now I want to increase my chances the best I can. I don't want a guaranteed kill.....I just want an opportunity or two...or three

We can't control the weather or the elk, but we can at least control how many people will be sharing the mountain with us by going with an outfitter on private land.

I paid $1800 for a drop camp hunt a few years ago and saw more elk (and less people) on the first day than I had in my previous 5 attempts. We were there at the peak of the rut and I never saw another hunter. Try that on a public land DIY as a rookie!!!

We were on a large private ranch surrounded by private land. All of those years on the DIY hunts where I found myself glassing the beautiful valleys glassing elk....knowing that I would never be able to hunt them because they were smack dab in the middle of private land.

I was now on private land and loving it.

It is early in the morning, I'm no elk expert, and I am rambling on......I'm just trying to give you a head's up of the challenges of elk hunting.

One thing is for sure.......once you spend a night in the mountains, you are hooked for life!!!!

PS...there is a 3rd option, a fully guided hunt...but those can get expensive. I like the drop-camp hunts because they still give you a taste of DIY. There are also options of hiring a guide for a day or two while on a drop-camp hunt.

GOOD LUCK

REAL PEOPLE.
REAL HUNTING.
REAL ADVENTURE.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:31 AM
Whitetail

Thankyou very much for the advice and your time...
Old 08-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Musk Ox

One more thing.......don't get caught up with how easy hunting shows make elk hunting appear. Many have the luxury of having their bags packed...just waiting for the outfitter to tell them "it is time".

You and I don't have the ability to leave at a moment's notice like many of them do.

Even if I didn't have an outfitter calling me....I wish I could narrow it down to a few weeks and leave when the weather is "right". That alone would make a huge difference.

REAL PEOPLE.
REAL HUNTING.
REAL ADVENTURE.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by firediver View Post
One more thing.......don't get caught up with how easy hunting shows make elk hunting appear. Many have the luxury of having their bags packed...just waiting for the outfitter to tell them "it is time".

You and I don't have the ability to leave at a moment's notice like many of them do.

Even if I didn't have an outfitter calling me....I wish I could narrow it down to a few weeks and leave when the weather is "right". That alone would make a huge difference.
Firediver is right elk isn't easy,I've gone 4 times 3 times with a buddy and once by myself.The only time I had a chance at a elk Was when I was alone and I called in a nice 6x6 bull to about 20 yards but he never gave me a clear shot.But is sure if fun hunting them,I'm going out again this fall in southern alberta.

timba
Old 08-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Elk

Here is a great articl of a DIY hunt..........enjoy!!!!
http://www.bloodbro.com/2007_09_01_archive.php
Click on the Erdody Brothers and then click show article. I think oyu will really enjoy this.

Some excellent Elk hunting tips, guides and techniques can be found from Elknut Outdoor Productions as well.