Old 08-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Musk Ox

UMMM? Rick? Umm, uh, is this another story that you forgot to tell us? Wait! I just saw the title, "I did it again". WHat's the scoop?

My Marine was shooting his bow about ten years ago and missed the target, but stuck his broadhead in the side of my outbuilding. It went thru the siding and into one of the wall supports, which just happens to be a 4x4. Try as I could, I couldn't get it out. I used a large punch and larger hammer and drove it in as far as I could. A little DAP,sanding and paint and you can't tell there was anything ever there.

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 08-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Bighorn

Well let me just say this...

It's very important that we match the fletching to the broadhead. Very.

I swore I would never shoot a shaft with a broadhead on but without fletching again, and I didn't. I fletched up a good arrow and in honor of Bull's Water Heater VS HellRazor, I grabbed a 125 gr and shot it at 20 yards.

The aerodynamics were too much for the small 2 1/2" vanes I used, and the shaft flew left, past the target by a few inches, and burried itself into the door that seperates the garage from the kitchen.

I can barely see the blades, and that thick bell at the bottom of the ferrel made its way in by a milimeter or so. This ain't no weasley interior door either. Solid 2 3/4 inch exterior model.

Good thing I'm not afraid to fix things because the bad thing is I'm not afraid to fix things.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Musk Ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rick View Post
Well let me just say this...

It's very important that we match the fletching to the broadhead. Very.

I swore I would never shoot a shaft with a broadhead on but without fletching again, and I didn't. I fletched up a good arrow and in honor of Bull's Water Heater VS HellRazor, I grabbed a 125 gr and shot it at 20 yards.

The aerodynamics were too much for the small 2 1/2" vanes I used, and the shaft flew left, past the target by a few inches, and burried itself into the door that seperates the garage from the kitchen.

I can barely see the blades, and that thick bell at the bottom of the ferrel made its way in by a milimeter or so. This ain't no weasley interior door either. Solid 2 3/4 inch exterior model.

Good thing I'm not afraid to fix things because the bad thing is I'm not afraid to fix things.
Does going thru a 3/4" fence plank on a privacy fence and then sticking into a telephone pole count as tough. The hellrazor was buried into the pole and threaded part was sticking out once I removed the arrow. I pulled on the threaded part just a slight bit and the feral broke away from the blades completely. All I had was the three blades sticking in the wood of the pole and I could just see them. That's when I got my large water pump pliers out and dug the blades out and finally used the pliers like lever at an angle to lift the blades out.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Bighorn

Yep... I would certainly classify that as a tough broadhead. I was pretty shocked at the force I needed to bust that ferrel out. I put an insert on the threads in a vain attempt to save them. Should have known the thing was a total loss.

Somehow this post has become a rolling ad for the HellRazor, but why not. I sure was impressed with the impact.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:09 PM
Bighorn

Question Hmmmm...

Now I am starting to think that errant shot wasn't so much the unfletched arrow, (though I'm sure that had a part), but the fact that my new bow string is starting to loosen up some. I had that thing dialed in at 30 yards Sunday night, and I just shot it again tonight and now I am low and left.

How long does a new string and cables take to settle in???

The guy put 350 pounds on them for about 15 minutes, so I understnad if a little stretching occurs, but these shots tonight were off big time!

If I aim center, and we draw a 6 inch circle around the center dot, I am now at 7 o'clock perfectly. Every shot. Grouping well. Just not sure for how long if I adjust things again.

Any ideas?

Sorry I can't add to the carnage folks. I'm sure some were dying to see what I'd shoot next.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:28 AM
Musk Ox

Quote:
Now I am starting to think that errant shot wasn't so much the unfletched arrow, (though I'm sure that had a part), but the fact that my new bow string is starting to loosen up some. I had that thing dialed in at 30 yards Sunday night, and I just shot it again tonight and now I am low and left.

How long does a new string and cables take to settle in???

The guy put 350 pounds on them for about 15 minutes, so I understnad if a little stretching occurs, but these shots tonight were off big time!

If I aim center, and we draw a 6 inch circle around the center dot, I am now at 7 o'clock perfectly. Every shot. Grouping well. Just not sure for how long if I adjust things again.

Any ideas?

Sorry I can't add to the carnage folks. I'm sure some were dying to see what I'd shoot next.
If your string and cable stretched out one thing your timing is off on your cams and your poundage will show a bit less than what you last measured it. Also your ATA measurement is off too. I'd reommend to do some measuring of your bow setup before saying it's the bow and not the shooter.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Musk Ox

A couple hundred shots should do it...

You might want to take your bow to a proshop and make sure its still in tune like BowDrawn said...

Lots of things can go wrong when your string stretches!!!!
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 08-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Bighorn

Does this ever end?

I have a career I don't devote this much time to...
Old 08-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Musk Ox

Quote:
Does this ever end?

I have a career I don't devote this much time to...
Once they are both stretched or "shot in" they both should stay stable for some time, for an average shooter year or two of shooting before you should consider replacing them. After this season is over I'm replacing mine.

They're going to be just like Ralph's Ya right!
Old 08-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Musk Ox

Sorry to hear about this. I'd been considering changing mine but will be waiting until the seasons over. Least ya got a while before season starts to get it dialed back in.

Proud Parent of a Marine