Old 08-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Antelope

Send a message via ICQ to yogi
Question Need help choosing new arrows..

i want to try some new arrows this year, can some one please steer me in the right direction . my draw weight is 75 lbs .. shaft lenght is 26 inches . I have 125 gr G5 broad heards ..and would like to use those lighted nocks.. please help.. any info would be greatly appreciated..
Old 08-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Moose

Yogi, I'm kinda curious why you shoot 75 lbs. Do you shoot really long distances?

Beman's are great. I even use these shafts in my kites, and I have some pretty expensive stuff.

With that much draw weight, you'd probably want to go with a 300 which, I'm pretty sure, is the stiffest shaft they make. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If you don't have the cash for the Beman MFX, you could definitely use the Beman ICS shafts with great results.

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 08-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Moose

I would go with a Beman line. They are one bad A$$ arrow! I shoot the mfx and love them. But there is nothing wrong with the ICS either.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Antelope

Send a message via ICQ to yogi

thank you very much i was looking at beemans .. and why i shoot this much weight ... i will tell you but no laughing ok... years ok when my son was just getting into bow hunting..it was hard for me to get my bow from him at times ...so i went out and bought myself a new bow .. that was a 70 + lbs .. and i have been shooting that draw ever sence ...ohh and the 7o+ was because my son could not pull it..... my longest shot ever was 42 yards..

right now i shoot PSE carbon force 300.. but time to change up

again thank you ... basspro here i come....
Old 08-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Caribou

I think monie is probably right, but got to Easton.com or Beman.com and they should have an arrow calculator that will tell you exactly what arrow you need. I shoot the ICS out of my katera and love them, I actually just got them with the vibrake inserts but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet. I shoot the MFX's out of my recurve for a little extra penetration.

Good Luck!

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Caribou

Sorry, yogi we were leading you astray....I just looked in my Beman catalog and at 26" ARROW length (not draw length) with either a medium or hard cam they say you should be shooting a 400 spine. But you still may want to check into www.beman.com to be sure.

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 08-07-2008, 07:02 AM
Musk Ox

Check out the Carbon Express Maxima... I've been tossing up changing arrows as well...

Check out this site.. Lots of good info.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2007-Ca...ion-guide6.htm
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 08-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Bighorn

Well... I might as well be another dissenting opinion here...

I am VERY impressed with the Easton ST Axis Nano or the Full Metal Jacket Axis arrows. VERY. The FMJ's are a bit on the expensive side, but they hit like hammers.

Cheri is consistantly burying her Nanos down to the Fletching in out targets. It's sick. Matter of fact we took her bow over to our shooting range and at 40 yards she blew through 2 inches of foam and we had to dig some in the haystack behind. Granted, she also had the 125 gr Steelforce Phat Head broadhead on, but that thing is so dull it ain't funny.

I wish I had a pic of that shot. I was shocked. Anyway... the point I'm trying to make here is that she only shoots 42 lbs. You read it. 42 lbs and buried the shaft on her first shot at 40 yards. Those shafts rock. Her shafts are cut to 24". The Nano 400 she shoots is 9.1 gr/in. So her overall arrow weight is 343.4 gr. Not real huge.

Oh and before the nay-sayers pop in and want to argue about softspots... I checked when we got back with the range boss. We were the first to shoot through the new foam. No over-used softspots gang.

They have the HIT insert which I think is freakin cool too.

Anyway... that's my input, for whatever it's worth.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Musk Ox

Rick,
She's shooting 42#,24 in shafts and using 125 heads? HMMM? I'm shooting 50#, 25'' shafts and using 100gr heads. So basically, use heavier heads for shorter, lighter arrows? I'm getting 12 or so inches penetration on a BlockTarget now. If I went to 125s, you think it'd be better?

Oh ,sorry if this is a HiJack...

Va

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 08-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Musk Ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va Hunter View Post
Rick,
She's shooting 42#,24 in shafts and using 125 heads? HMMM? I'm shooting 50#, 25'' shafts and using 100gr heads. So basically, use heavier heads for shorter, lighter arrows? I'm getting 12 or so inches penetration on a BlockTarget now. If I went to 125s, you think it'd be better?

Oh ,sorry if this is a HiJack...

Va
By adding weight you increase Kinetic energy.

The more Kinetic Energy you have the more penetration you have but you also loose speed.

think of it this way. Would you like to get hit by a heavy rock going slow or a light rock going fast?

The heavy rock is going to be harder to slow down than the light rock...

But the light rock will go further flatter and faster...
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights