Old 07-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Black Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rick View Post
Yeah we tried the extreme archery version. They are interesting things.

I like the fact that you can put a helical on them with relative ease, but what we found was that inevitably, one of the vanes, typically the odd one, would fly off after 2 or three shots.

The other thing I found, and this may be ticky-tack, but let's say you wanted your vanes to align with your broadhead. After tinkering with 3 of them, I found that you would need to start off them mis-aligned, then after the shrinking, they would be close. And never exact with the strong side of the spine.

If you need a quick fix in deer camp, they are great. If you care little about the intricate aerodynamics of arrow flight, right up your alley. The purist will be greatly disappointed.

Just my opinion.
A friend of mine gave this brand a try and the shrink had air pockets or bubbles under it. This didn't seem to affect the performance he still shoots them.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Musk Ox

Burrhead,

From what I've been told and read(we all know how this stuff works), these smaller vanes are supposedly the cat's meow along with the Biscuit. "Supposedly" they won't get deformed from the rubbing and the vane fronts aren't supposed to get pulled up. I was advised against using the quikspin style because of that extra piece on their vane ends.

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 07-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
A friend of mine gave this brand a try and the shrink had air pockets or bubbles under it. This didn't seem to affect the performance he still shoots them.
Yeah I noticed that too. For what it's worth I have a 2 shafts that have them on and I shot one of them at the hog I hit high. That was my own mistake.

I might try the NAP versions just to see.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va Hunter View Post
I was advised against using the quikspin style because of that extra piece on their vane ends.
Yep.. same thing here.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Musk Ox

I question the fact you can put the same helical twist consistantly from one arrow to the next with these. I have talked to some who have done them and they say each arrow is slightly different than the other. They weren't pleased with the results.

I know if you do a hand fletching properly you can be the same on each shaft.

And NAP needs to increase color choices so there will be a full selection like there competition.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Musk Ox

As this was the first time I've used something like this, I didn't attempt putting any twist on them. I'm gonna sound a little dumb, here, but do ya need to put a twist on them? It looked like they had a little twist built in already.

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 07-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Bighorn

Only if you want one, but to be honest the "helical" is like bow drawn says, impossible to get exact with those for a number of reasons. More to the point, because the inner glue dries at a fairly inconsistent rate, I noticed that one of the vanes would "twist" slightly more than the other two. I was just experimenting anyway, so it's not like I was looking for the perfect fletch.

You can buy them with a 1' offset already built in. All the twist does is add more "spiral" to the shot. Some feel that the tighter spiral may add more to the shot in terms of stability in flight by making the shaft spin faster. Think of a well thrown football in flight or a bullet fired from a rifle. The trouble with using those analogies is that the football and quite possibly the bullet do not flex or wobble in flight like an arrow shaft does, but hopefully it gets the idea across.

Some want more, some want less, some want none at all.

I say if you're hitting the target well, don't mess with it.

Last edited by Colorado Rick; 07-29-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:27 PM
Musk Ox

Okay, of the three that I did the other nite only one remains intact. Re-did one of tehm last nite and the fletching slip forward after 3 shots. The shrinky stuff didn't draw down between the vanes again. My youngun did 3 of his at the same time and all of his drew down just fine and stayed where they belong. He's using the quikspin vanes.

I called Extreme Archery this morning and talked one of the guys there. He asked me to remove the screwed up vanes, put them in a box and return them. They're going to replace them at no cost. Maybe I got aholt to some bad ones? I'll find out soon!

As for accuracy, these things are more accurate out of my bow than standard 4'' ones. My youngun asked me if I'd been shooting without him! I've not ever shot like this and am surprising myself.

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 07-31-2008, 12:35 PM
Bighorn

That's cool!

Make sure you sand the shaft down first with a light sandpaper... 320 is what I use, then clean it really well with a nickle sized dab of acetone on the cloth.

While in the water, let the bubbles come up for a few seconds than quickly remove it from the water.

I shot one within 4 minutes of using them, and then let another sit.

Either way, hit the front tips of the vanes with a dot of quick-fletch, or any other superglue you have on hand.

The two I have left are doing really well considering, but I really think using a fletching jig is the better way to go for now.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:08 AM
Caribou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Drawn View Post
And NAP needs to increase color choices so there will be a full selection like there competition.
they are working on that.

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!