Old 07-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Musk Ox

Default Shrink fit Vanes

Anybody used or tried these? I've been shooting carbons with the long vanes. Yesterday I was in Charlotte NC. I went by BassPro and picked up some of those little vanes in the shrink stuff. Do they sit further down the shaft or should I line then up with the backs of my other ones?

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 07-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Caribou

On the NAP quickfletch just line the back of the tube up with the end of the shaft. Some of the posse have been shooting them, and have had great luck with them. I'll be using them this fall. The way they are made, they are much more consistent than hand fletching. Also, if you go on trips you can bring a few extra w/ you and in a pinch you can refletch your arrows with a hair dryer, over a toaster, or even a campfire. Water is best, but really any heat source would work in an emergency. No more glues or jigs to mess with....Let us know how you like them.

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 07-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Bighorn

Yeah we tried the extreme archery version. They are interesting things.

I like the fact that you can put a helical on them with relative ease, but what we found was that inevitably, one of the vanes, typically the odd one, would fly off after 2 or three shots.

The other thing I found, and this may be ticky-tack, but let's say you wanted your vanes to align with your broadhead. After tinkering with 3 of them, I found that you would need to start off them mis-aligned, then after the shrinking, they would be close. And never exact with the strong side of the spine.

If you need a quick fix in deer camp, they are great. If you care little about the intricate aerodynamics of arrow flight, right up your alley. The purist will be greatly disappointed.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Colorado Rick; 07-28-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACPOSSETIM View Post
On the NAP quickfletch just line the back of the tube up with the end of the shaft. Some of the posse have been shooting them, and have had great luck with them. I'll be using them this fall. The way they are made, they are much more consistent than hand fletching. Also, if you go on trips you can bring a few extra w/ you and in a pinch you can refletch your arrows with a hair dryer, over a toaster, or even a campfire. Water is best, but really any heat source would work in an emergency. No more glues or jigs to mess with....Let us know how you like them.
Yeah I took one down toTexas with me and Preacher left in on his dashboard. Shrunk up like crazy.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Caribou

Not bashing anyone elses product, but give the quickfletches a try. They've worked the bugs out that some of this type of product have had. Also, not sure about the others but, DO NOT try and put a helical on the quickfletches...too hard to keep them consistent. As for aligning w/ your broadheads, on a new shaft....fletch them first. I know it only works the first time

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 07-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Musk Ox

How are they for weight???

How thick is the part that surrounds the shaft.

Weight and wind resistance is my concern....

Definite good choice if you are out in the field and have to make quick repairs!!!
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 07-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Bighorn

Not much actually. I would doubt it messes up the weight ratio. These things are really lightweight.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Musk Ox

I did three shafts last nite and don't know if I did something wrong or not. The shrinky stuff didn't shrink down completely around the shaft in one or two areas between the vanes. I know they have some kind of sealer or adhesive inside so it may just be that's what it is. I'll set them out in the sun and let ole SOL put the whammy on 'em!

As for lining them up, I put the back of the vanes where the original ones were. Looks kinda funny. I'll give them a shot or two tonite and let ya'll know. Heck the way I shoot, which ain't all that good, anythings gonna be an improvement.

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 07-29-2008, 08:07 AM
Caribou

How do they work with Whisker Biscuits?
SLICK TRICKS
APEX NITRUS SIGHT
Old 07-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Black Bear

I have some of the Quickspin ST 2" Blazers on some of my Beman MFX's that I bought last winter off of AT. They seem to fly the same as my Vapours do with no adjusting to the bow. Did blow off one of the vanes during an R-100 here in ontario this year never did find it.

I have got some Axis FOB's on the way to try on the back an see how I like them now. I have already switched my Vapours over already and will most likely do my Axis also now. Only time will tell.

Matt