Old 07-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Whitetail

Default Bow draw weight

Great show on the Moose hunt today!! I'm heading to Canada in Late Sept for a Moose hunt, I noticed your draw weight today was 65 pounds, I think I'm probably set at 50. Do I need to start working up, I believe your shot was at at 18.5 yards and the arrow passed through. I'm comfortable at 25-30 yards whitetail hunting and have even gone a little further; but I'm unsure about this moose stuff. Is 25 yards okay with my with that draw weight?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2008, 08:04 AM
Caribou

You can never go wrong with more poundage on moose, but don't make your bow too heavy that accuracy suffers. If you can try and add a couple pounds of draw weight every couple weeks, if you can get to mid to upper fifities that would help. Don't get me wrong, 50 will work just make sure you use a quality cut on contact head like NAP's Hellrazors or Razorcaps, and don't take real long shots and try and stick to broadside or quartering away and you should be fine! Where are you going? Good Luck!!!

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 07-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Whitetail

Default Draw Weight

Thanks for the answer, I'm not sure what weight I'm at but I know I'm not in the 60's. My thought is I could move up but my initial pull might make a little shaky with movement but it doesn't sound like that will matter with Moose. I'm heading up to a place north of Ignace, Ontario it called Lumberjack Lodge. It's about 10 hours from here. By the way I don't think you need it yet, but I applied for a passport, I believe we're eventually going to need it.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Musk Ox

I think you already need a passport.

We needed one going to Quebec this spring...
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 07-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Musk Ox

I believe you will need that passport. Mainly to get back into the States.

My .02?
And I would recommend you gradually start working out to get those muscles strengthened for more draw weight. Go slow so you don't injure yourself. Get a bowfit strengthening tool (Cabelas sells them) to practice drawing and holding your draw for several more seconds up to a minute. Don't forget to stretch those arm and shoulder muscles before and after your workout and after you shoot. That's where alot of archer's injure themselves. My personal opinion is set a goal for another 10# so you're around or above 60#. And use a cut on contact broadheads like ACPOSSETIM mentioned earlier. I would be practicing with them before you go so you can hit a 3" circle at 30 yards. A moose hunt is a dream hunt for most hunters and with a bow you want it to be the best shot you can make to be sure it's in the boiler room and you put it down fast. Don't go under gunned is what I'm saying with a moose or any big game animal.

Last edited by Bow Drawn; 07-07-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Antelope

I'm just wondering what a moose hunt like your going on might run from home and back. It's one of my dream hunts and I want to start saving for it. Thanks
Old 07-08-2008, 02:22 AM
Bighorn

As I understand the laws, you will need the passport, but as long as you are only bringing the bow, you will not need the firearms permit. Gosh the permit number escapes me, but if you go to Quebec Outiftters website, they have all the skinny on the forms you need and everything.

It's an awesome website!
Old 07-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Caribou

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpking View Post
I'm just wondering what a moose hunt like your going on might run from home and back. It's one of my dream hunts and I want to start saving for it. Thanks

Carpking check out www.kashabowieoutposts.com Fern runs a great outfit and is very affordable. When I went up there unfortunately I wasn't able to connect but did have several close calls! He runs bow and gun hunts, and is out of Atikokan Ontario so I think it would only be about a 10 hour drive from Lacrosse if I remember right.

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 07-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Whitetail

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpking View Post
Well here's how it works. You can party hunt in Ontario so we got 4 tags 2 Bull and 2 Calf tags from the outfitter, this kept our price down. I'm not sure what the Bull Tags or the Calf tags cost again but the calf were substantially less the the bull as you can figure. We also figure if one of us gets a bull it'll be a successful hunt since none of us has done this before. So for the 4 of us it cost 4000.00 or a 1000.00 a piece. That's for the tags and the weeks stay at the lodge. We also need a Moose license the cost of that for each of us is $350 or so. We have to bring our own food and ATV's so you got to include gas and supplies. We plan on splitting a guide for 600.00 for the week. So I'm guessing it'll cost us a little over 2000.00 each. That's why we decided to do the bow hunt rather than a rifle hunt because the rifle hunts seem to cost a lot more.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Black Bear

Lots of moose up that way, The farer North you go the more there are. As for Bowhunting for Moose, which I have been doing for the last couple of years here in Ontario. Your Bow must be at least 48.5lbs draw weight and 0.87 of an inch wide broadhead with at least two sharp cutting edges.

The way I understand hunting moose up that way is totally different then the way we hunt in the area that I hunt. Up that way you tend to hunt alot from boats(Spot and Stalk) or in clear cuts(Calling). One of my main suggestions to you would be, to over the next few months learn to call moose as it isn't really that hard. Bulls will come along way when they hear a call in a short amount of time. Bulls will start the rut around the last week of September and will continue in to the beginning of October.

But never rule out calling as I have had them answer me and start to come as the beginning of September and as late as the third week of October.

Nothing gets the heart pumping faster then a bull moose at 20 yards grunting back at you with snot running down his nose.

Here is a link to the MNR website;
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business..._E001275P.html

Matt