#11  
Old 01-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Bow Drawn's Avatar
Bow Drawn Bow Drawn is offline
Musk Ox
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC View Post
Maine will have some of the least expensive hunts offered in the states. but if you look, you have to get all your own tags and such. make sure you see how many days the hunt is for also. some have 3,4,5,6 day hunts.

NC has some huge bears, but again, check the fine print.

where I go in idaho, everything is covered, for two bears, for $2705. 6 days hunting, all color phases, meals, lodging, licenses, permits. easier to say that the only extra costs are travel, butcher, and taxidermist.
TLC sounds like a great hunt, can you say who the outfitter is? It sounds like the price is right and how easy is it to get your tags? Over the counter there? Is it a bait, dogs, or spot in stalk I ask because I'd be bowhunting.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Bow Drawn's Avatar
Bow Drawn Bow Drawn is offline
Musk Ox
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmcntry View Post
Go here monie. Great folks

http://conmans.homestead.com/
Thanks Farmcntry their website looks pretty good - I'm going to ask them for a brochure and more details.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-16-2008, 05:16 PM
TLC's Avatar
TLC TLC is offline
Caribou
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: southern, Il
Posts: 640
Default

bow drawn, their site is: www.idahooutfitters.com

they have a great set up. stay in an old forest service cabin. has a bathroom. typical day was as follows. got up and went to the cooking cabin and drank coffe for an hour or so. told stories during this time. ate breakfast, and told stories at this time. after breakfast, you could do what you wanted. go hunt at your stand/site. go elk shed hunting, spot and stalk. at noon we had a lite lunch. told stories. usually soup and sandwiches. headed for the bait sites around 2. in the stand til dark. or right before it. if you are interested, I'll either tell you or send you some of the stories that happened to me. anyways, you got back to camp, ate a very good supper, and then had a drink if you wanted, told stories, then went to bed.

the name of the outfitter is Weitas Creek Outfitters. they may still have some openings this year, but now sure. I will be there the first full week of may.

normal hunting is at a bait site. dog food buried under logs, covered in grease. they also did grease burns and put honey out. the licenses are INCLUDED in the price. same with the permits. and they take care of that for you. everything you will need as far as paperwork is there when you arrive. and they are in a 2 bear area. and the price IS for 2 bears. their phone number is 888-983-9378. names are Gary and Sue. if you decide to call, tell them Todd from illinois sent you. no, I do not get anything for it, but have told them I promote them whenever possible because of the great job they do.

forgot the most important part, they cater to bowhunters, but do take gun hunters also if thats what you want to hunt with. last year, shared a camp with 3 other bow hunters. all traditional bow hunters. 2 out of 3 got a bear. and the third got a shot. I also hit a bear. and saw 17 total, including all 4 color phases.

Last edited by TLC; 01-16-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-16-2008, 08:06 PM
farmcntry's Avatar
farmcntry farmcntry is offline
Black Bear
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Drawn View Post
Thanks Farmcntry their website looks pretty good - I'm going to ask them for a brochure and more details.
Mike's a good guy. You'll enjoy hunting that part of the state. It's on the beaches.
__________________
Youth Outdoor Connection
www.youthoutside.org
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Bow Drawn's Avatar
Bow Drawn Bow Drawn is offline
Musk Ox
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC View Post
bow drawn, their site is: www.idahooutfitters.com

they have a great set up. stay in an old forest service cabin. has a bathroom. typical day was as follows. got up and went to the cooking cabin and drank coffe for an hour or so. told stories during this time. ate breakfast, and told stories at this time. after breakfast, you could do what you wanted. go hunt at your stand/site. go elk shed hunting, spot and stalk. at noon we had a lite lunch. told stories. usually soup and sandwiches. headed for the bait sites around 2. in the stand til dark. or right before it. if you are interested, I'll either tell you or send you some of the stories that happened to me. anyways, you got back to camp, ate a very good supper, and then had a drink if you wanted, told stories, then went to bed.

the name of the outfitter is Weitas Creek Outfitters. they may still have some openings this year, but now sure. I will be there the first full week of may.

normal hunting is at a bait site. dog food buried under logs, covered in grease. they also did grease burns and put honey out. the licenses are INCLUDED in the price. same with the permits. and they take care of that for you. everything you will need as far as paperwork is there when you arrive. and they are in a 2 bear area. and the price IS for 2 bears. their phone number is 888-983-9378. names are Gary and Sue. if you decide to call, tell them Todd from illinois sent you. no, I do not get anything for it, but have told them I promote them whenever possible because of the great job they do.

forgot the most important part, they cater to bowhunters, but do take gun hunters also if thats what you want to hunt with. last year, shared a camp with 3 other bow hunters. all traditional bow hunters. 2 out of 3 got a bear. and the third got a shot. I also hit a bear. and saw 17 total, including all 4 color phases.
Thanks a bunch. A referral like yours is the best sort to base a hunt on. I'll call and get a brochure for maybe next season. How do you get there? Drive out or fly and drive? I'd be fly and drive myself.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-17-2008, 12:21 PM
TLC's Avatar
TLC TLC is offline
Caribou
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: southern, Il
Posts: 640
Default

BD, I drive all the way there. beautiful drive on the way there. not really, but do have some interesting spots to look at on the way back. also, if you remember an email going around about ted turner and jane fonda at a montana restaurant, I stopped at it last year and got the true story. anyways, also afraid the airlines will lose my bow and that would definately screw up the hunt. not sure that they have a brochure, and their website doesn't tell you much. but maybe they can put something together for you.

first night of the hunt last year, was sitting in my stand. saw my first bear at about 5. nice black/brown combo color. didn't come in but had the video camera on and the bow in hand in about 2 seconds. finally relaxed and had a beautiful chocolate show up around 7:30. excitement built until I saw the 2 cubs(1 year olds, not newborns). anyway, she chased them up a tree and then proceeded to do a war dance at the bait site. had her lined up 4 times, but between the darkness and her having cubs, wasn't sure if I should take the shot or not. didn't and got caught in the stand until after dark. not good!!! then all of a sudden she takes off like she's been shot. next thing I know, I see a light coming down the trail from the road. it's my guide wanting to know what I'm doing. can't repeat the words that I said, but told him he was standing in between a sow and her cubs. needless to say, made it up to the road in record time. took me 20 minutes to get my normal breathing back.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Bow Drawn's Avatar
Bow Drawn Bow Drawn is offline
Musk Ox
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC View Post
BD, I drive all the way there. beautiful drive on the way there. not really, but do have some interesting spots to look at on the way back. also, if you remember an email going around about ted turner and jane fonda at a montana restaurant, I stopped at it last year and got the true story. anyways, also afraid the airlines will lose my bow and that would definately screw up the hunt. not sure that they have a brochure, and their website doesn't tell you much. but maybe they can put something together for you.

first night of the hunt last year, was sitting in my stand. saw my first bear at about 5. nice black/brown combo color. didn't come in but had the video camera on and the bow in hand in about 2 seconds. finally relaxed and had a beautiful chocolate show up around 7:30. excitement built until I saw the 2 cubs(1 year olds, not newborns). anyway, she chased them up a tree and then proceeded to do a war dance at the bait site. had her lined up 4 times, but between the darkness and her having cubs, wasn't sure if I should take the shot or not. didn't and got caught in the stand until after dark. not good!!! then all of a sudden she takes off like she's been shot. next thing I know, I see a light coming down the trail from the road. it's my guide wanting to know what I'm doing. can't repeat the words that I said, but told him he was standing in between a sow and her cubs. needless to say, made it up to the road in record time. took me 20 minutes to get my normal breathing back.
I checked out the website and boy is that one a remote hunt. It be a very cool hunt and adventure. Thats a fur piece of driving my friend. I had my bow lost by Air Canada and it did come in late going to a Canadian bear hunt. It did come in the next morning just before I had to make my next leg of the trip north to La Ronge. Poor attendant for the AIR C - it wasn't his fault but I knew he could be sure it was on the next flight the next morning.

I watched bear cubs last June take over my bait site twice. Mother had to be around but she never showed herself. It was during the rut and I bet she sent her two cubs down to the mall to be fed and baby sat by me while she played with her new daddy. All the while I hoped daddy was coming down the hill for his din-din. I saw other bears but no good shot opps and the one did I couldn't make myself shoot 125# chocolate bear that trip. Didin't seem right. I have watched to many Bear 'n Down dvd so I now can size a bear pretty close.

Maybe I'll get to go bear hunting next season - who knows but right now it does not look like it's in the stars for me.

Last edited by Bow Drawn; 01-17-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Monie's Avatar
Monie Monie is offline
Moose
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kokomo, In.
Posts: 3,596
Default

Thanks a lot guys!!! That's a lot of info to look through!!
__________________
If you're not leaning, no one can let you down.

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump