Go Back   Archer's Choice Media Forums > Misc Forums > Recipe Book

Old 02-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Moose

Smash blackberries, add sugar, let ferment, enjoy!

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 03-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Black Bear

Pick 'em - Eat 'em! Or if you want to get fancy, get some of those little sponge cakes and put a heap of blackberries on one (or two) and then pour some half n half over them and eat them. Last year, the wife and I picked 10 gallons of them off the property. We froze a bunch and then vacuum sealed them. Thought they might last us 'til this year. I was wrong!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Moose

lol...one year I went picking berries with the family dog...she got the low ones and I got the high ones! It was a hoot watching her delicately pull off the berries with her front teeth then gobble them down!

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 03-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Musk Ox

Then she(the dog) probably squirted for days! Least that's what my 2 beagles do. My beagles can tear up some berries.

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 03-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Caribou

Send a message via Yahoo to TxStarr

Sigh. Well y'all obviously knew I made blackberry jelly over the weekend. 19 pints down, 1 1/2 gallon of juice to go. Plus 2 1/2 gallons of plum juice, and a gallon of mixed juice (one bag of blackberry juice and one bag of plum juice thawed and ran into the bottom of the tub I had it in). So, two recipes for y'all.

Blackberry Jelly
3 1/2 c. juice
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 pkg. Fruit Pectin powder
5 cups of sugar

Put juice, lemon juice, and fruit pectin in boiler. Bring to a rolling boil and add all of the sugar at one time. Bring to a rolling boil again, stirring constantly, boil for one minute. Let it sit until the foam is firmer then skim off of the top. Put in jars and seal (lids in hot water, dry them off and put rings on after you have made sure there is not any juice on the rim of the jar). Turn upside down and cover until cool (I check mine the next day to make sure they have sealed).

Blackberry Cobbler (my grandmother's recipe)

1 stick margarine
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
Enough sweet milk to make a thin batter
Sweetened Blackberry juice (enough to cover, I use at least a quart and NO I don't use the berries—I don't want to crunch a cobbler!!!)

Put margarine in a 9 x 13 glass pan and put in the oven on 350 degrees, you want the margarine to melt.

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and milk together. Pour into pan after margarine is melted. Pour juice over and around the dough mixture. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.

I usually poke a few holes in the dough with a fork and pour more juice (until the dough is almost floating) over it right out of the over. After it has cooled it will be so moist and juicy!!
-- Lucille Ball

Last edited by TxStarr; 03-09-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Black Bear

Ok, that's enough! I got to go to a cafe and get some dessert before going to work now. There goes the freaking diet!!!! j/k

Sounds great and I'll be trying those in August or September! Thanks
Old 03-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Caribou

Send a message via Yahoo to TxStarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF Hunter View Post
Ok, that's enough! I got to go to a cafe and get some dessert before going to work now. There goes the freaking diet!!!! j/k

Sounds great and I'll be trying those in August or September! Thanks
I freeze berries, plums, and juice. That way I can make the jelly/cobbler in the winter when it is cold and I don't mind heating up the house with the stove/oven.
-- Lucille Ball
Old 03-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Muley

Thumbs up

Homemade Blackberry Wine
PREP TIME: 6 weeks
MAKES: 4 1/2 gallons

Comment:
Due to the natural yeast clinging to the outer skin of wild fruit, such as blackberries, mayhaws, muskadines, etc., sweet wine may be made simply by adding sugar nd water to the fruit. The sugar not only sweetens the wine, but allows the yeast to grow and fermentation to develop.

Ingredients:

2 gallons fresh fruit (blackberry, muskadine)
10 pounds sugar
4 1/2 gallons luke warm water
Method:
Rinse a 10 gallon crock jar or plastic bottled water jar and turn upside down to drain. Thoroughly dissolve 10 pounds of sugar into 41/2 gallons of luke warm water, 100 degrees F. Measure out 2 gallons of fresh fruit and pour into the sweetened water. Cover the crock with a cheesecloth and secure tightly with butcher's twine or place an air-lock device, such as in wine making, in the mouth of a water jar. Place in a cool, shady room and allow to ferment for 6 weeks. At the same time each week stir the crock or shake the bottle vigorously to blend the ingredients and agitate the fermentation. When done strain the wine through a cheesecloth 2 to 3 times, then bottle and store.