Old 07-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Antelope

Send a message via ICQ to yogi

you all want to know the secret to using one of these calls .....try this with one wet the string and pull it .. you get a close imatation .. of a moose grunt.. now for the secret part .. try it again this time fill it about 1/8 full of water and try it again...if you ever heard a moose grunt .. sounds like they are under water... try it .. mades a big differance...
Old 07-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Muley

I drew a tag in Northern VT. It is an antlerless tags... so How do you call in a cow moose?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Antelope

dail ..1-800-cow-moos. and follow the online instructions....
Old 07-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Antelope

not sure about cow moose ...but here are some other calls the might be helpful... for squirrels... climb a tree and act like a NUT.... for rabbits hide behind a tree and make a sound like a CARROT...
Old 07-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Black Bear

If you catch them right in the rut you can't do nothing wrong. Shot my first bull in '99 with my rifle at 25 yards one shot too the head, that is all I could see.

Had heard him coming as I approached my stand that morning and seen him once I was on stand as he cross the marsh in front of me. But remembering everything that my dad taught me about hunting "let them come as close as they will come before shooting" so I let him come. He even stop an looked directly at me several times as he approached me find he step right up into the hardwoods with me an I fired the single round that was needed to kill him.

Moose calls are some of the simplest be made in the calling world. Can calls and Birch bark calls are the most commonly used. Some people including myself prefer using just their hands and mouth.

Matt
Old 08-23-2008, 06:54 AM
Whitetail

Moose calls come in a number of different devices. As stated above Birchbark cone shape calls have been around a long time, much like the Ol Can and cord trick. Leather lace is best on the can too

The moose calls have changed over the years and different ones have surfaced that all seem to have their own tone. When it comes to calling it depends on the hunter and how much he can or will put into making the Cow moose call to sound proper.

Some companies have reed type calls out that will work but they also sound totally different from the natural voise type calls. The QuakerBoy moose mate is one such call and I was the one that was behind that call, as well as the instructional tape that goes with it. It kills moose and I've seen it with my own eyes.

Fiberglass calls for natural voice are also out and I worked out a call that works great and is different from the rest.

Air quality is important at the time of calling and change the tone of a call from day by day.

Calling moose boils down to the calls you are doing and the moose that your after. Calling cows, you are going to work on the calf call, or the cow which is much the same only a little higher in pitch and longer done. Some of the sounds that work best when practicing is the O OOOO nasal sound for a Cow , AUUHH for the Cows and UUOOO for the Bull Grunt. Its had to get the right sound typing this out but you may get the picture.

To do the Cow call you want to draw out the sound from a low pitch into a louder higher pitch and the length of the call is about 12-15 seconds really using your gutterly balling sound.

The calf is the same but is higher in pitch and is much shorter more 5-8 seconds long.

The Bull is a call of challenge. The grunt is something that is done a few times or can be done a number of times to keep a bull coming your way. They also will grunt back to a Cow to let her know she has interest.

Hope that helps