Old 06-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Whitetail

Default moose calls

I'm going on a moose hunt out of Delta Juntion Alaska this Sept. 7 with a couple of friends stationed in Fairbanks. This is a do it yourself flyin hunt. Id like some info on moose calling, and moose calls. Got any Ideas for a novice moose hunter? Thanks
Old 06-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Moose

You need a good moose call? Take a metal coffee can and drill a small hole in the center of the bottom part of can. Take a shoe lace and wet it and pull it through the hole in the can. With a little practice you can make some great moose calls. Also take a small boat oar with and whack the crap out of trees and brush. That will help get a moose attention.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Antelope

The coffee can works great good for some long distance calling. The lace actually gets tied off inside the can and the lace works best dampened. Just slide your thumb and finger down the lace with just enough pressure to create a moaning sound when your close to the can it's higher pitch and lower towards the end of the lace which you can make bull grunts with by pulling only a inch or two at a time. I have made several different sizes and not just with coffee cans a plastic sour cream container will work also just have a different pitch. You can also take the can and dip it into a lake and pour out the water slowly this sounds like a cow peeing in the water then splash with your foot and call with your can and wait at least 30min before calling again or even moving when a bull is on his way he will be grunting with every step. Keep him convinced with short cow calls and keep the wind in your favor if he gets hesitant then grunt back at him he will think that another bull has beaten him there and be on his way if he is the dominent bull in the area. If you don't have a decoy us a black bed sheet and pin it up in some trees to give the outline of a back and something that he can key in on.
Moose hunting is alot of fun and once you do it once you'll be hooked for life at least i am
Old 07-01-2008, 08:12 AM
Bighorn

Hey Oak...
that was some really good info man. seriously. I would have never thought to imitate an animal relieving itself. that bed sheet idea is cool too. and cheap! nice job!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Whitetail

For real? a coffee can? Hey am willing to try anything if it works. Would it be a cow or bull call?
Old 07-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Whitetail

oakcreek,

thanks for the details on the can. I was a bit unsure if Moose was serious or just sending me off on a snipe hunt. The black sheet makes good sense too. Thanks
Old 07-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Antelope

One other thing with the can wrap it with duct tape it will make it much quieter when walking through the brush.
This was my bull from 07
Old 07-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofilewa View Post
I was a bit unsure if Moose was serious or just sending me off on a snipe hunt. Thanks

bullmoose38 is VERY knowlegable on most things. If he says it... you can bet the farm on it.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofilewa View Post
oakcreek,

thanks for the details on the can. I was a bit unsure if Moose was serious or just sending me off on a snipe hunt. The black sheet makes good sense too. Thanks
I would only do that to Monie! When it comes to hunting you can take me serious. If its anything else good chance I am trying to pull a prank.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullmoose38 View Post
I would only do that to Monie!

Oh, really???

Next time we get together, I'll push you in the path of some vicious jack rabbits!!!!

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com

Last edited by Monie; 07-01-2008 at 04:13 PM.