Go Back   Archer's Choice Media Forums > Hunting Forums > Archers Choice

Old 06-23-2008, 09:00 AM
Musk Ox

Default Questioning my stance on Speed and Lighter Arrows

Questioning my stance on speed and light arrows.

I used Carbon Express Maxima 350 arrows for my bear trip this year. Very happy with results.

I just started switching back to my whitetail setup this weekend.

HCA Speed Pro arrows

I have always leaned toward more speed for a flatter trajectory. However, I'm noticing I'm not improving my trajectory that much with the lighter arrows. The speed increase is dramatic!!

Not to mention the lighter arrows are much noisier!!!

Just an interesting topic I thought I would start. Not sure which way I will go yet.
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights

Last edited by YorkArcher; 06-23-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Musk Ox

I haven't been around bows for all that long ,but can talk in terms of bullets. Lighter and faster don't always mean accurate! Slow and steady will win out everytime. Which one does the best, accuracy wise?

Just my 2 cents worth...

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 06-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Muley

I was looking at Victory HV series for the last little while....... then I started thinking maybe a return to allum is the answer. Most of my shots are w/in 20-25yds max so what do I gain with carbon? And with Allum I could own 2x as many arrows
Old 06-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Caribou

Send a message via Yahoo to TxStarr

Our friend shoots aluminum arrows and I have seen one go through a hog, hit a rock, and shred. Will used aluminum arrows for years and has switched to carbon because they are tougher and will not bend as easily.

Everybody we shoot with (with the exception of one) shoots carbon. I will have to listen the next time we shoot b/c my arrows are 23," and they don't get much shorter than that!
-- Lucille Ball
Old 06-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Musk Ox

Both arrows are very accurate. I have no problem grouping in 5 inches out to 60 yards.

I would think the heavier arrows are less susceptible to wind planing (sp?)

The speed difference is about 40 - 50 fps

The kinetic energy works out to about the same. The speed of the lighter arrow makes up for the loss of mass.

No way I would ever go back to aluminum!! To many bent shafts, dented shafts.
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 06-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Musk Ox

Well I had my decision made for me last night.

Took a few minutes to shoot a few arrows after the kids went to bed and had a minor incident.

After about my 5th shot with the Speed Pro arrows, probably 30 total since I switched to them my string just came off of the Cams.

No explosion, nothing hurt. Arrow went right where I was aiming. It just sounded and felt a little different. I looked down to seem my string hangin loose.

I looked it over and nothing seems wrong. The bottom cam looks a little crooked but I think its because the string is off.

Just to be safe I'm having my Pro shop put it in the press and look it over.

Now I'm lookin at the Carbon Express Maxima 250s. I have the 350s.

Its just hard not pushing to get the most speed I can out of it.
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 06-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Bighorn

I am the last one to have an opinion worth a red cent here, so I won't begin to pretend I have one on this.

Just wanted to say that I am glad you didn't get hurt when the string let go. Ever since we started in January that has been in the back of my mind every time I draw. Hopefully it turns out to be just a string replacement, but from what you said about the cam... well I'll think good thoughts for you.

Again... glad you didn't get hurt man. Seriously.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Moose

Wow I bet that was scary! Glad your ok! I used to be a speed nut but I made the switch to Beman MFX a few years ago. To be honest the trajectory really didnt change to much. Plus the penatration really increased.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Musk Ox

I'm fine. I honestly think the bow is fine. The string even looks good. I honestly just think my arrow setup was to light.

The force from the string wasn't absorbed enough by the shaft and it bounced around after the shot and slipped off of the Cam.

I think....I hope...

I have had a bow let go at full draw before. I didn't get hurt, but my hand stung for awhile.

My bow let go of a few c clips though and it took my pro shop a week to get it put back together.

It is in the back of my mind some of the time. But you can't let it worry you to much. It mostly just stings your bow hand from the shock.
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 06-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Caribou

Just remember, you want to try and shoot 5 grains of arrow weight for each pound of draw weight. 70# bow....350 grain arrow (including head, shaft, fletchings, nock) if you get below that you might start to run into problems. Arrow companies usually have a selection chart to help you pick the right arrow for your setup.

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!