Go Back   Archer's Choice Media Forums > Hunting Forums > BND - Bear'N Down

Old 06-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Whitetail

Default Your favorite place to bear hunt?

I would say this just might be the best place to ever get information on future bear hunts, so please if you have been a great bear hunt somewhere please let all of us know about it!

Here is one of my greatest experiences with an outfitter,

This year I went to Bathurst, New Brunswick for a spring bear hunt.
I arrived i Montreal after a long weather delay in DC and some how I got there without my clothes or my bow. I waited a full day in Montreal the I had to catch tha last flight of the day to NB. ( still with out my gear)

I can not say enough about my guides, "Grizzly Jim and Alta's Outfitters".
Bearnie my guide with them owns an archery shop and he actually was going to lend me all the equipment I needed to take my bear if my gear did not arrive. What outfitter have you ever heard of doing that for a client , not buy it from him ...but rather.....lend good quality gear that he would fit for me in his shop.

Bob Moore a fellow bow hunter from Kentucky was nice enough to drive me back to the Bathurst airport just on a hunch my gear maybe had arrived from Montreal 2 days later. I was so relieved that it was coming off the plane as we pulled in. Bob and I both arrowed nice size boars around the 275 mark and what started out as a really horrible ordeal ended up as one of the greatest hunts of my life!

I can't say enough about this bunch in New Brunswick. They really went the extra mile to help me when everything looked pretty grim.

It truely was a great hunt, lots of bears awsome country and I even got a
40th birthday cake too while I was there!
Old 07-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Moose

Sounds like you had a great hunt! And Happy 40th!
Old 07-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Moose

That's awesome!!! I'm so glad you had a blast!! I've heard horror stories. Happy belated 40th! I'm right there with ya!

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 07-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Bighorn

Wow! I have heard SO MANY stories about the gear getting lost, arriving late, etc. Glad it all worked out for you.

Hang in there for Timba and TLC's replies. They are BIG TIME bear hunters.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Antelope

Sounds like you had great time. A good outfitter truly does make the hunt memorable going the extra mile for a client we really do care that your hunt is successful as well. If your looking for another place for great bear hunting try Manitoba. I worked for Duck Mountain outfitters this past spring and the bear activity was consistent we also got some good bears also throughout the entire season.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:45 AM
Bighorn

Happy belated birthday bearaddict,My self have never used a outfitter for hunting bear and I would say this year was my best year too.I have done spot and stock in alberta,saskatchewan and also baited sask for my 2nd year in a row now.Both provinces have great bears,I put alot of work and gas $ into baiting bears this spring and had the best time ever in saskatchewan.I had seen lots of bears and got a nice 6' boar.Now I'm going to be picky and wait for a blonde

I feel bad for guys that when they dish out money(some guys its a one time deal)for a outfitter and have a crappy hunt.I'm glad you found a great outfitter and had an awesome bear hunt.

timba
Old 07-27-2008, 12:54 AM
Antelope

Timba...

seen lots of colours this year in Sask (both during hunt and scouting) but was holding out for a true 20 incher and didnt see one.

where were ya hunting?

Darton Pro 3000---Darton Wrangler---Elite GTO---Elite Synergy XT---Bowtech Allegiance---Archery Research AR-31---Carbon Express---Muzzy MX-3
Old 07-27-2008, 09:46 AM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by musky_xl View Post
Timba...

seen lots of colours this year in Sask (both during hunt and scouting) but was holding out for a true 20 incher and didnt see one.

where were ya hunting?
Just north of frenchman butte in the broson forest,I've heard there is lots of colour bear in there but this year only saw blacks.I might try either candwood forest or up around besnard lake next spring.

timba
Old 07-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Musk Ox

http://www.blackbearisland.com/Black bear island lodge, great outfitter with outstanding accomadations and world class fishing to boot. All sorts of color phases and some real monsters taken while I was there by some fellow bowhunters. It's in Saskatchewan northwest of La Ronge and I'd go back this fall or next spring .
Old 07-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Drawn View Post
http://www.blackbearisland.com/Black bear island lodge, great outfitter with outstanding accomadations and world class fishing to boot. All sorts of color phases and some real monsters taken while I was there by some fellow bowhunters. It's in Saskatchewan northwest of La Ronge and I'd go back this fall or next spring .

Besnard lake which I'm hoping to set up next year is just west of la ronge.I'm going up there is this weekend to scope things out and do a little fishing.

There is a old guy from saskatoon that keeps telling me I should be hunting the churchill river,he says there are a pile of bears there.

timba