Go Back   Archer's Choice Media Forums > Archer's Choice Media Forums > The ACM Hang Out

Old 06-20-2008, 08:23 AM
Caribou

Send a message via Yahoo to TxStarr

The polite thing for the neighbor to have done is tell you that he is having problems with all manner of stray cats and is going to start doing something about it so you would have a chance to keep your cat away from his house. We call the neighbors when we have an extra animal and, if it isn't theirs, we catch the wild cats in a live trap (a couple of small dogs, some raccoons and possums too!!), put the friendlier ones in a pet carrier, and take them to the vet if no one wants them. The dogs get tested to see if they will make a hog dog before they are given away or taken to the vet. Although, there was one time we knew who dumped the dog out so we returned the favor and "helped" the dog find his way back home!!

I've gotta tell you that the neighbor is probably going to deny killing the cats and never apologize (been there, moved away from the entire neighborhood to get away from them after they killed a cat I'de had since I was 5 and we called the sheriff's department when they were target practicing with the target being at their fence that backed up to our house). The only thing you can do is get another cat (if Holly wants one) and make it an inside only cat.

Good luck and tell Holly my thoughts are with here b/c I know how difficult it is to lose a cat that you are attached to (I know, I know, it is just a cat but you get attached to the little buggers!).
-- Lucille Ball
Old 06-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Moose

Jeff I see your point but I should have mentioned this earlier also. Hes pissed off because his mom and dad has tons of cats on the other side of his property. He isnt mad at a cat walking his property for any reason. he told me he just hate cats because of all the ones at his parents. Not to mention his dog visits my yard quite often. Do I care absolutely not. Would I shoot his dog for revenge or any other reason absolutely not. Besides where I believe he shot the cat from the evidence leading to where I found the cat was still on our property. The reason he killed the cats is because he doesnt like them. Hey no problem but dont go out on cat killin spree. If I dont like cows our other neighbor has. Is alright for me to go to a farm and kill them because I dont like them absolutely not. Even had neighbors cattle in my yard did I kill them absolutely not. I can see your guys point but this had nothing to do with the cat going on his property. Trust me on this I know.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Caribou

Send a message via Yahoo to Cherokeechass

Tell Holly I'm sorry for her loss! What a touchy situation. I don't know what I would do. I can think of alot of things but two wrongs don't make a right. I would definitely surprise Holly with a new kitty and keep it inside.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Moose

You can always report him for "Cruelty to animals" Most cops take it seriously and he could be fined, made to go to jail or both!

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 06-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monie View Post
You can always report him for "Cruelty to animals" Most cops take it seriously and he could be fined, made to go to jail or both!
I could but I wont go to that degree. I know he would get in some trouble! I know some people it happend to in the past. It aint like we didnt get along either. Heck he would go with me hunting on Mondays when I needed a camera man.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:08 PM
Muley

Thank you for the added details. I think you are right to be mad. I would defiantly talk to him. I would tell him that you found dead cats on his property and that you think some local kids may have done it and you are going to call the cops. Then ask him what he thinks you should do.

Then I would caution you to make sure cats stay within your boundrys.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Antelope

im not sure if this is true around where u live, but in wi, shooting cats is illegal. i'd get him fined.

2009 count
1 bear (bow)
1 turkey (20 gauge)

www.bigwoodstaxidermy.com
www.bigbearscents.com
Old 06-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Moose

Well its been a long tough day. And it ended the best way you could possibly hope. He called and left a 5 minute message explaining what happend and why. Make along story short he shot our cat thinking it was the one having the kittens under his place. Which it wasnt because our cat was a male. Which later he found out just happend to be our cat walking up the drive way. Anyway Holly called him and he apologized and he really was upset. So all in all it turned out better then it started. And everybody will be getting along. So now its just the healing process of which will take a little time. Just one of lifes obstacles to deal with for now.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Caribou

Tell Holly I'm sorry for her loss. I'm sure that he felt terrible for what he did to her cat. Never a good situation. Time will heal hopefully. I hope that he won't ever do that again.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Musk Ox

I'm sorry this happened to you good folks!!

But I'm glad I don't have to drive up there.

Your neighbor sounds like a stand up guy!
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights