Old 06-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Muley

Default Therma cell and bear photo's

Was out hunting last night Tuesday June 17 2008 Gods lake narrows, Manitoba. Got there at 6:45pm and had the therma cell on as soon as the landed the boat. Walked to the bait site and honey burned for 15 minutes.I have the therma cell on next to my right hip laying on the seat.
At 7:20pm this big bear came in. Walked by my stand, it is a new bear I haven't seen before as it has a white stripe just behind the left side of it's big head. It's well over 6 feet and 300lbs or more and was tossing the barrel around like a toy.
I took some video and thought I'd try and take some photo's with the therma cell and the bear. In the video you can actually see the smoke floating by the camera. I don't know where to upload a video. Any way this is a dominant boar as I could hear the other bears walking around but they wouldn't come in and he went and circled the area and smashed a couple of evergreens down. Some outfitters do not want their clients using therma cells. I think I would rather be bug free and comfortable for 4 hours than be covered in bugs. I also put a vanilla or strawberry scent hanging in the tree with me as well.
I also found that with it on I can hear better for twigs cracking etc as i don't have the sound of bugs in my ears.

Murph
Old 06-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Bighorn

Wow that a monster did you shoot him?I used a thermacell this year and never had any problems with bear not comming in.

timba

Last edited by timba; 06-18-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:55 AM
Whitetail

Well I was kind of wondering if the trerma cell was a reason I wasn't seeing a lot of bigger bears too? I had little guys around me and on the second night shut it off by unscrewing the cylinder rather than using the loud clicking button.

The bigger bear was in by the bait 30 mins later, and I took him with my bow?

I know their motto says ":take back the woods"..... I just don't want to ever have to take back my bear tag to the states because it does more harm to my hunt than help it?........ bug free , bear free?

Good question???
Old 06-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Muley

That bear looks huge
Old 06-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Muley

I will continue to use the Thermacell while spring bearhunting. I noticed no difference and actually had 2 bears in at once with it on ....... and only one in at a time while not using it. Do ya think my bears to be skeeter free too?
Old 06-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Caribou

I love the Thermacell. But, like you said, that click when you start it up and shut it down sure does seem like it resonates for 20 miles in the quiet forest.

I think that I would rather risk using it than suffer through a swarm of black flies and mosquitos.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Muley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearaddict View Post
Well I was kind of wondering if the trerma cell was a reason I wasn't seeing a lot of bigger bears too? I had little guys around me and on the second night shut it off by unscrewing the cylinder rather than using the loud clicking button.

The bigger bear was in by the bait 30 mins later, and I took him with my bow?

I know their motto says ":take back the woods"..... I just don't want to ever have to take back my bear tag to the states because it does more harm to my hunt than help it?........ bug free , bear free?

Good question???

The outfitter I use in Manitoba (Cory Grant) told me just this spring that no one took big bears with the thermacells. In fact, a 500 lbs'er didnt offer a shot...outfitter thinks it was the thermacell. I bought a bug suit and decided to sit without the thermacells...if I am after a particular bear....sacrifice is what is required.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Muley

Default Big Black Bear

Hey Timba,
been going hard baiting and video taping I was waiting for my brother in law to visit from Nova Scotia as he has never bear hunted. Also have taken several nice black bears so this one is what I would like.( Blonde )
He took the black one 2 nights ago 6 "4" approx 275lbs. he took it with a slug gun as the bow sights were off after falling from a tree 18 feet to the ground. Now it's my turn.

Murph
Old 06-25-2008, 07:03 AM
Caribou

Nice color bear...
Old 06-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Caribou

"A mat saturated with Allethrin, a copy of a naturally occurring insecticide found in chrysanthemum flowers, is placed on top of the metal grill."

OK, heres the word from the thermacell website on the active ingredient. and since I can't speil krys, chryz, that type of flower, will just cut and paste. the ingredient is from a flower, which will not bother bears, deer, or any other critter while it is being used. think the biggest problem with the lack of bears, especially big bears this spring, was the late spring we had all over. one guy went to manitoba, and they still had snow on the ground and ice on the lakes. we had snow on the ground in idaho also.
Ted Nugent United Sportsman of America
Bowhunter
Hunt hard, go home happy, thank God for all he has given you