Old 06-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Muley

Default Blind Set-up

I bought a new blind this winter and am really excited to take my kids bowhunting this fall. I've got a spot all picked out, but my question is this: How soon before actually using the blind should one set the blind on the spot? The land, thankfully, is private and hunted by only three other fellas I know. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Bighorn

Everything I've seen says about a month before the season opens. Gives the deer a chance to get used to it being there.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Moose

I know people that kill deer with same day setups. I am not one of them though. I would put it out a month or so before the season. Also brush it in a little. Good luck!
Old 06-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Antelope

I have had a ground blind for years now and love to hunt out of it with my oldest daughter and son. I have a rule of thumb of a month or more on time in the field before season. FYI if you have an apple tree anywhere in your property I highly recomend setting it up near it for great early season action. Your blind will be a great addition to your stand arsenal and it's a great way to spend some time bonding. LOL

Shane
Old 06-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Musk Ox

Last year I popped one up on the spot and hunted from it. It was by a nice little trail and just after I had exited to leave for the night I heard the leaves crunching. I was only 10 yards from the blind so instead of dashing back I got by a tree and waited. A little half rack buck was creeping closer, but had his eyes on the blind the entire time. It wasn't there before and he wasn't used to it so he was a little freaked. However, he did come up to it and check it out, but I think it would have been better had I had it up and let them see it there before hand.
I'm taking Carpkings idea on the Apple tree. We have an old tree in our horse pasture and the deer visit that thing, so I may have to get set up around it this year.

-----------------------------
I'm Proof As To What Little Girls Are Made Of
**GUNPOWDER & LEAD**
-----------------------------
Old 06-19-2008, 07:51 AM
Moose

Yeah, I can just see a buck stumbling home after a night at the apple tree with the boys.
Doe: "Where the heck have you been?"
Buck: Humming as he walks up, "Huh?"
Doe: "I said, where the heck have you be...is that fermented apples I smell on your breath?!"
Buck: "Umm... ahhh... noope. Is that Doe In Heat I smell on you?" He gives the doe a wink.
Doe: *SMACK* Anymore smart talk mister and those hunters won't have a chance to kill you, 'CAUSE I'M GONNA!!"

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 06-19-2008, 08:00 AM
Musk Ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpking View Post
I have had a ground blind for years now and love to hunt out of it with my oldest daughter and son. I have a rule of thumb of a month or more on time in the field before season. FYI if you have an apple tree anywhere in your property I highly recomend setting it up near it for great early season action. Your blind will be a great addition to your stand arsenal and it's a great way to spend some time bonding. LOL

Shane
Can't do this is PA...

Setting up next to an apple tree (planted or natural) is considered baiting in PA

Had a friend get busted for setting up on an old abandoned homestead up on the ridge that had an apple tree. Warden got him for baiting!
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 06-19-2008, 08:11 AM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkArcher View Post
Can't do this is PA...

Setting up next to an apple tree (planted or natural) is considered baiting in PA

Had a friend get busted for setting up on an old abandoned homestead up on the ridge that had an apple tree. Warden got him for baiting!
Your buddy should have fought it! There is no way the warden could legally arrest him. Heck that warden could try to arrest you hunting near a oak tree, beech nut tree, corn field, hayfield, or anywhere else. Think about it a deer has to eat. That warden could arrest anyone for just hunting then. I would have fought that because that warden is in the wrong.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:23 AM
Musk Ox

PA Title 34 Game and Wildlife code Chapter 23

Sec. 2308. Amended July 1, 1988, Act No. 1988-52, November 25, 1988, Act No. 125, March 29, 1996, Act No. 1996-13, December 19, 1996, Act No. 184, December 20, 2000, Act No. 2000-111, Effective February 18, 2001, December 20, 2000, Act No. 2000-125, June 28, 2002, Act No. 2001-79, Effective August 28, 2002 and December 22, 2005, Act No. 2005-86, Effective February 20, 2006.

Sec. 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.
(a) General rule. - Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:

(8) Any artificial or natural bait, hay, grain, fruit, nut, salt, chemical, mineral or other food as an enticement for game or wildlife, regardless of kind and quantity, or take advantage of any such area or food or bait prior to 30 days after the removal of such material and its residue. 

Nothing contained in this subsection shall pertain to normal or accepted farming, habitat management practices, oil and gas drilling, mining, forest management activities or other legitimate commercial or industrial practices. Upon discovery of such baited areas, whether prosecution is contemplated or not, the commission may cause a reasonable area surrounding the enticement to be posted against hunting or taking game or wildlife. The posters shall remain for 30 days after complete removal of the bait.

Nothing he could do about it.....
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 06-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkArcher View Post
PA Title 34 Game and Wildlife code Chapter 23

Sec. 2308. Amended July 1, 1988, Act No. 1988-52, November 25, 1988, Act No. 125, March 29, 1996, Act No. 1996-13, December 19, 1996, Act No. 184, December 20, 2000, Act No. 2000-111, Effective February 18, 2001, December 20, 2000, Act No. 2000-125, June 28, 2002, Act No. 2001-79, Effective August 28, 2002 and December 22, 2005, Act No. 2005-86, Effective February 20, 2006.

Sec. 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.
(a) General rule. - Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:

(8) Any artificial or natural bait, hay, grain, fruit, nut, salt, chemical, mineral or other food as an enticement for game or wildlife, regardless of kind and quantity, or take advantage of any such area or food or bait prior to 30 days after the removal of such material and its residue. 

Nothing contained in this subsection shall pertain to normal or accepted farming, habitat management practices, oil and gas drilling, mining, forest management activities or other legitimate commercial or industrial practices. Upon discovery of such baited areas, whether prosecution is contemplated or not, the commission may cause a reasonable area surrounding the enticement to be posted against hunting or taking game or wildlife. The posters shall remain for 30 days after complete removal of the bait.

Nothing he could do about it.....
That only is if you place the food there. Such as a corn pile, an apple pile, or anything else. If it grows there you are able to hunt there. You just cant place the goods there and hunt over it. If it was illegal to do so the warden could fine hunters over the state game lands too. They plant food plots and everything else for the game to eat. Its not considered baiting if you plant the stuff. Trust me on this one I worked real close to a warden to help nabs some outlaws in the past. I am on the up and up on most of the rules. I will agree they could have a lot of the rules not so confusing.