Old 06-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Whitetail

Question crossbows

How do you feel about hunting with a crossbow?
Old 06-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Black Bear

I have no problem with people hunting with crossbow it's there choice. All I hope is that they are know how to use them and have took the time to practice with them.

I know that there are many people in my area that uses crossbow just for the simple fact that they are considered archery and it gives them a longer season. They don't spend enough time to sight in and practice with them then they end up wounding alot of deer and giving us archers that do take the time to practice an make sure that our equipment is operating right so that we can make quick and clean humane kills with our gear a bad name.

Matt
Old 06-18-2008, 04:29 AM
Moose

If its legal and you want to use it. Go for it! I never hunted with one but I promise you i will give it a try!
Old 06-18-2008, 06:41 AM
Musk Ox

If thats what you want to try, go ahead...

They look cool! No way I would carry that big thing into the woods!

The only thing that concerns me is people get overconfident with them. It is still an arrow (or bolt, whatever). And you still need to make sure of a clean ethical shot!
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 06-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Caribou

Send a message via Yahoo to Cherokeechass

I love my crossbow. YorkArcher you are right about the weight. It does get heavy. Where are you located in York? I'm from Fawn Grove. I use my crossbow in Maryland.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Whitetail

Wink Understanding the Crossbow; Myths vs. Facts

M: A crossbo is not really a bow.
F: Both weapons fira an arrow equiped with a broadhead designed to penetrate, hemorraging, and death.

M: Anyone can pick up a crossbow, practice for an hour, and head for the woods.
F: An experianced crossbow hunter will tell you that there are many ways to make a bad shot with a crossbow. Cocking a crossbow perfeckly straight, maintaining a proper stance, breathing control, trigger control, steady body, ability to judje distance, and follow through after the release are all important.

M: A crossbow shoot will much faster and farther than a compound bow.
F: Both compoundbows and crossbows produce simular ballistic results. If anything, the crosbow begings to lose velocity and energy slightly faster than a combound bow after 30 yards due to their lighter/shorther arrow.

M: The crossbow is the preferred poachinf weapon.
F: Studies in Ohio have shown that "From a law enforcement standpoint, violation statistics are just about equal between crossbows and vertical bows, and the both is an extremely small portion of the overall enforcement effort". (Michael J. Budzik, former Director of the Ohio Division of Wildlife.)

M: Crossbows are unsafe.
F: Statistics regarding hunter incidents show very little differance between the two bow types.

M: Permitting crossbows in bow season will decimate the deer population.
F: In 1994, Ohio puplished year-by-year deer harvest data going back to 1990. Ohio first allowed crossbows in archery season in 1976 and the conclusion is clear. Over the 18 year span since crossbow use was permitted, crossbows did not decimate the deer population; the archery season was not eliminated or shortened; and crossbow did nothing to diminish archers' oppertunities to hunt or their chances for success. On the contrary, the opposite occured. The deer population increased; the season got longer; more counties opened for hunting; more hunters participated; and the harvest-to-permits-sold ratio improved dramatically. Data available from Arkansas and Georgia support the same conclusions as that of Ohio.

(For more on this subject, please go to www.tenpointcrossbows.com and read the complete report from David Robb titled "A Detailed Truth About Crossbows.)

There is a need to bring all bowhunters together and grow this sport and our minds. Not everyone has the ability to use the longbow or the compound bow, this may be due to age or medical reasons, does that mean that he or she should kept out of the woods. If we don't come together soon we are heading for some long term trouble in the woods ahead. Their ia a fight brewing between the ATA and the Pope and Young Club that is just the start, and if the P&YC wins it will be like we just went back in time!

I used to shoot a recurve in the late '70s and know due to an auto accident I use a crossbow to hunt with. Maybe someday (another year or so) I'll be able to use a compound bow to hunt with, but if I can't this is what I have and I can live with it.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Musk Ox

Sledge,

Welcome aboard and thanks for the input.

I don't mind crossbows, myself. I think the use of them lets more folks particpate in the hunting scene.

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 06-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Musk Ox

Sledgehammer,

I know if something happened and I couldn't draw a bow I would be on my way to Cabelas to buy one tonight!!!!

Cherokee,

I live in Felton, just south of Red Lion
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 06-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Antelope

It's not the weapon that we should be talking about but the idea of getting out there to enjoy what God has created for us. I'd say to take your crossbow and have a wonderful experience.

Shane
Old 06-19-2008, 05:09 AM
Caribou

I have never hunted w/ one, but I have shot my dad's Tenpoint before, it shot great but...I like my Katera better!
NAP Spitfires