Old 06-16-2008, 08:36 AM
Muley

i just wish they would ban them all. i love my fair chase.

diamond black ice
hostage rest
octane quiver
G5 sight
axis n-fused arrows
tekan broadheads

tc prohunter 50cal, and .300 win, 204 ruger
Old 06-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Musk Ox

Fences are optional. I have a problem shooting deer off a corn pile though.

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 06-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm69 View Post

2. What about the high fenced plantation who owns several thousand acres and fenced it in and manages the deer herd which already inhabited the land? They don't buy animals to stock the property but instill a very good management program to maintain the hurd they have.

I'm not sure if there is a place in the U.S, where you can do this?? In North Dakota you cannot fence in the publics property in an escape proof fence. The animals that are behind fences right now are private property.

We are in the middle of a nasty battle over high fence hunts in ND right now.

To me it is an alternative means of harvesting a farm raised animal.I wouldn't do it, but there are those who would for various reasons. Time, health, physical limitations, etc.

Here is a boy who might never reach the age to even be able to apply for a license!! Well worth the read IMO!!!

Hunt of a lifetime
By Gail McGee , Bowman County Reporter
Published: 02/24/2008
SAVE AND SHARE
Bookmark on Del.icio.us
Digg this Article
Share on Facebook
Comment on this Article

‘Logan’ Dancy of West Virginia, poses with the bull elk he shot with (left to right) Willard Swanke, Brian Solum and his dad Chuck Dancy. Photos special to The Forum
Related Content
‘Logan’ Dancy holds the rack of the bull elk he shot
Charles ‘Logan’ Dancy, Jr., is like most fifth graders. He enjoys the science experiments with Mentos candy fizzing out of bottles of Diet Coke. He likes playing soccer, baseball and basketball and spending time with his two Beagle dogs. He also enjoys hunting.

But unlike most fifth graders, Logan has leukemia. And unlike most kids in his hometown of Summersville, W.Va., Logan got to fullfill his dream of a big-game hunt in western North Dakota.

Through the Hunt of a Lifetime foundation, Logan got to hunt for elk in Bowman County last fall.

The national organization provides hunting and fishing trips for youth under age 21 who have been diagnosed with life-threatening illnesses. Brian Solum of Fargo is the ambassador for the North Dakota Hunt of a Lifetime chapter.

“Our mission is to make dreams come true for these special youths,” Solum said of the nonprofit organization that supplied Logan and his dad Chuck with plane tickets, hotel room, car rental and an expense account while partnering with the Cedar Ridge Elk Ranch for his memorable hunt.

Dinosaurs and elk

When daylight broke on Oct. 2, 2007, on the Cedar Ridge Elk Ranch in Bowman County, Barb Swanke was already preparing breakfast for Logan and his hunting party.

Barb and her husband Willard are owners of the Cedar Ridge Elk Ranch, which donated time, fuel and half the cost of an elk for Logan’s special hunt.

When Logan, his father Chuck and Solum ate their breakfast, they shared stories about southwestern North Dakota and West Virginia.

Stories that dinosaurs once lived in this area lit up Logan’s eyes. Willard Swanke assured Logan that he would more than likely see some dinosaur bones.

Moments after Willard loaded the hunting group into his Ranger for the long, bumpy ride into the Badlands, they spotted a coyote.

The anticipated dinosaur bones were spotted. Willard told Logan to take a few of the bones back home to share with his friends.

As they ventured on, evidence of elk became apparent. Tree bark now absent on several branches had been rubbed off by elk shedding their velvet. Suddenly, a lone bull was spotted – running from one hilltop, down into the valley and up to another hilltop.

As the party retreated down the bank, they saw a herd of elk standing majestically against the horizon – only for a short time – but long enough to look in awe at their beauty.

As the elk disappeared over the hill, the group decided to continue their trek on foot to the top of a ridge – getting in position for what was hoped to be a “Hunt of a Lifetime.”

Hitting his target

Logan, his dad and Willard hiked to the top of the ridge – where they sat and waited.

Looking down the hill and across the valley, they could see the Little Missouri River winding like a snake through the bottom land. Soon, they saw a herd of elk running up a steep incline, only to turn away from the hunting party.

Logan waited patiently. Then, a bull turned from the herd and headed in his direction. Logan sat motionless, waiting and watching as the beautiful creature came lumbering by.

Then Logan shot. But the first shot missed, just like the night before when he had practiced at a target.

He shot again. It was a hit, but it didn’t drop the animal. He shot one more time for fear of losing his trophy elk. It fell about 80 yards away.

Logan and his dad walked down the hill towards the elk. They examined the massiveness of the elk – the huge horns, the hooves and the feel of the hide. They snapped several pictures before the elk was field dressed and loaded for the journey back to the ranch.

Lifetime of memories

As they drove back, Logan enjoyed the breathtaking beauty of the badlands. Sharptailed grouse crossed the road in front of them. Whitetailed deer ran through the trees.

Logan and his dad retreated to one of the cabins the Swankes had built and decorated with comfortable beds covered with beautiful quilts. Trophies hang on the walls.

Relaxing on the couch and chairs in the balcony, Logan’s dad tells his party that he was in the National Guard with a guy from North Dakota. He heard many stories of the rolling hills of the badlands.

He said is surpasses anything he had ever imagined.

Logan explains that North Dakota is the 10th state he has visited. Out of those 10, he proclaims North Dakota as the best.

A red pickup with Wisconsin license plates drives into the yard. Logan jumps up to greet the newcomer, enthusiastically sharing his hunting story – one he will never forget.

A version of McGee’s story was published in the Oct. 19, 2007, issue of the Bowman County Reporter of Bowman, N.D.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Musk Ox

I personally would not do it. You start getting into a couple thousand acres and it gets fuzzy.

But if someone else wants to do it and they are following the law more power to them.

Just don't go on CNN saying your teenage kid killed a world record hog with a handgun just to find out it used to be someone's pet!

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/h...ory?id=3378412
Old 06-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Bighorn

I gotta go with Monie's Onion and almost everyone elses opinion here.

Cale and I picked up his small game license yesterday and drove about 150 miles to the Pawnee National Grasslands here in CO trying to find a coyote to plunk.

We hunted all over ducking and hiding, squalking on the call, glassing every hill and valley. Never saw one yote. We found signs. We found plenty of food sources for them. Massive cover. But never saw one all day.

As I see it, even if we had to do all that in a high fence area, eventually we would have cornered one and then we would have taken the shot. Cale would never had learned the lesson he learned yesterday. Lesson? Sometimes we work our butts off, getting stuck by cactus, slipping into well concealed rabbit holes and hurting like crazy, we sit on thistles, we chase antelope and rabbit over MILES of prairie, and we do everything right on a stalk... but we still go home empty handed. Or do we?

See, Cale was about as excited to go as I've ever seen a kid get. He dreamed the whole way up about dropping a grey one, skinning it, and leaving it on his sister's bed to scare the crap out of her. Even 7/8 of the way through the day, when my knees were shot and my back was wasted from the heavy pack, he still held out hope that we would get to see one just over the next ridge.

On the way home, he was disappointed, but when his mom asked him if he would do it again, he didn't hesitate. "Of COURSE!" he said, as if she had asked him if he needed a lung to live. He learned that part of hunting is walking away with nothing for your troubles. That just adds to the next hunt because you get the chance to do it again, and maye, just maybe, walk away with what you came for.

As he gets older and his scope widens a bit, he'll come to the realization that all of us who had someone take us have come to. "Hey do you remember the time we went after coyote, and you stepped in about 400 cactus? Man that was funny. I've never seen you dance like that." He'll say. And then it'll hit him. It's the time we spent together, when his dad didn't want to, that will be the ultimate gain from the hunts we'll share in. "We chased that same rabbit for 5 miles that day. I thought you were gonna die on that ridge!"

Sure, some can get that from the high fence jobs. But can they get the same degree of satisfaction? I doubt it.

Last edited by Colorado Rick; 06-16-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va Hunter View Post
What's a food plot then?

Keep in mind that there is also no difference in a "corn pile" than what we all love to see R & V to which is let the air out of bears over baited stations. The bottom line is very simple, agree or disagree, but always make sure you respect others' rights to choose.

I once heard, since I do hunt hogs over feeders, that's not hunting. That's fine. The person that told me that likes to fish. I told them to fish with an empty hook. No matter how you look at it whether it's a food plot, a watering hole, or a feeder there is some form of baiting involved. If it's legal, and you can make an ethical kill, and you're okay with it then by all means go for it. I would not turn down a hunt over feeders. I would also not turn down a hunt in high fence. I have done all of the above and have had a great time doing all of the above. I have hunted free ranging elk and deer up and down the National Forest Mountains and done high fence as well. Having said that I DID disagree with Jimmy Houston and others bowhunting drugged deer in a 3-6 acre pen. I will concede that that is not hunting.

No problems here as long as it's legal...each person's priveleged choice.

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak

Last edited by Great White Hunter; 06-16-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Muley

Yeah the corn pile thing could open a whole new can of worms. Is it any different hunting over a picked corn field? Or unpicked for that matter. In IL you would be hard pressed to not hunt on some kind of field, were corn and bean country. Is it any different to use deer lure like doe urine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va Hunter View Post
www.benpearson.com
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
www.mossyoak.com
Starr Flight FOB Pro Staff
www.starrflight.com
Pro String Pro Staff
www.prostring.com
Predator Pendulum Sight Field Staff
www.predatoriv.com
Old 06-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Musk Ox

Kinda figured I'd step on my crank with that statement.

Where I hunt, baiting is illegal, so I've never used that method. I can see the benefits, just never tried it. Maybe one day I'll get the chance.

Hope I didn't bend too many feelings.

Va Hunter

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 06-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Moose

1 I wouldnt call it hunting thats just my opinion. I did it in my teenage years just to get my confidence up with the bow. Plus it was for exotics which I would have never left the country to hunt. I will admit it was fun to make a weekend out of it with friends. And it really got my confidence to where it belonged plus those animals can fight back. I did get my butt kicked by an emu. I will save that story for another time. I also know a guy that manages a deer farm close to me. He had a client call him and tell him he wants the biggest deer he can find. He was from texas and was in a buck pool for high fenced hunts. He wanted to win just so he can win the "jacket". I guess he thought it was the Masters. Well he won it! He paid my buddy over $35,000.00 to get him that jacket. Flat out crazy!!!
I will say though when I hunted the "100 acre pen for exotics there are some deer we never saw while hunting a whole day.

2. I dont have a problem with this one either but its not the same as fair chase.

It all comes down to what you are looking for in a hunt. Its for some people and not for others.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Whitetail

From personal experience: my company previously belonged to an 8000 acre high fence club and I can promise you that on a tract of land that big it is absolutely just as hard to hunt as any public land. The owner fenced it so tha he could control his herd and keep it fro being poaced be all the local goos ole boys. Its kinda hard to justify spending 10's of thousands of dollars on a deer management program only to have it wiped out by outlaws.

Option 1 is not hunting. Thats like going to rooms to go.
scott mongoose release
alpine soft loc quiver
sword twilight hunter sight
octane 7in stab
Whisker Biscuit
STRICKLY A KILLA!!!