Go Back   Archer's Choice Media Forums > Hunting Forums > Archers Choice

Old 06-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Black Bear

Here's another option on stand locks besides what bullmoose showed.

http://standguardian.com/

Old 06-19-2008, 07:36 AM
Musk Ox

Thanks Again!
My Wally's don't carry the locks, least not that I've seen. Lately there "hunting" sections suck, ever since they got rid of the guns it's gone way down. I'll check around and find me the locks though, definitely worth it.
That StandGuardian is one beefy lock! Wow!

-----------------------------
I'm Proof As To What Little Girls Are Made Of
**GUNPOWDER & LEAD**
Old 06-20-2008, 07:56 AM
Black Bear

The lock that bullmoose talked about, I have also and was able to get it at Lowes.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Caribou

Talking Ameristep Double Stand - The Choice

I put the Ameristep Double Man Ladder Stand up last year on my property. Very comfortable!

I dropped this doe in her tracks, she went ZERO yards. She was 10 yards from me in my ladder.

George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Old 06-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Moose

SWEEEETTTT!!!!!!!

Congrats! ...and WELCOME!!!!

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 06-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Antelope

one suggestion i have is to make sure they are on a level surface. if they arent its hard to sit because everything is slanted.

2009 count
1 bear (bow)
1 turkey (20 gauge)

www.bigwoodstaxidermy.com
www.bigbearscents.com
Old 06-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Caribou

OC, coming here late, and the advice you have been given is very good. but let me add some things for you. first, I have the stand you have pictured, and the seat cushion is not comfortable for long sits. get yourself a nice padded noiseless cushion to either replace it with, or put on top of it. I replaced mine for the noise the 2 fabrics made together. next, look into learning to shoot while sitting. I know, I know, you have the rail on it. take it off!!! when moving in any stand, you have to remember SAFETY first, and you will also be adding movement that is unneeded. learned this the hard way. if you decide to leave it on, get that stand up as soon as possible. yes, the deer will learn that its OK, but when you add that burlap(good idea), it will blow in the wind. they do not ever get totally used to that. again, been there, still doing it for the F-I-L and his tripod stand. get yourself a bow holder that will hang on the stand. lot easier to sit back and enjoy when you don't have to hold the bow all day long.

as far as setting the stand up. GET HELP!!! I can do it myself, but have been setting them up for years. used to being on free standing ladders from my job. as Kevin said, jump on the bottom rung to get those 2 legs to seat in the ground. again, get help. someone who weighs a whole buck twenty is not going to seat them in hard dirt. the reason you want them seated is that the tree will sway in the wind, and seat those legs eventually. good thing. until the day you go out there and have the seat section strapped to the tree and it starts creaking when you are half way up the stand. the sections will come lose like this. FYI, do not completely tighten the strap on the seat section until you have the legs seated for this reason. after the legs are seated, do the tightening of the strap. use a ratchet strap instead of the cam buckle strap they send with the stand. it will pull the stand tighter, and keep it there, better than the one they send along with the stand. heard they were going to start sending ratchet straps, but not sure. and has been said, get a cable that is rubber coated and cut proof. meaning that it should be at least a 1/4 inch thick. bolt cutters have a hard time cutting on slippery surfaces. a good master lock will work if you can't find the treestand cable and lock. do not lose the keys. as I said, bolt cutters have a hard time with slippery surfaces. hint, hint.

sure there are other things that I should tell you, but between what has been said, and this, you will enjoy the ladder stand. good luck.
Ted Nugent United Sportsman of America
Bowhunter
Hunt hard, go home happy, thank God for all he has given you
Old 06-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Whitetail

I use ladder stands for bear a lot but have taken a couple of bucks from them too. They work great with use on a ridge shooting down on a trail on a shelf, Awsome in pines too!

I find 12-15 ft a bit low and exposed but hey thats just me.. brush em in, ratchet strap them down for a security , pad yur butt and enjoy the show.

before that , practice from it a lot to know how you peronally like to shoot from them then set it up how you know works best.

And as the other guy said a Safety belts a must.

Happy hunting,

Bearaddict
Old 06-22-2008, 10:04 PM
Caribou

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC View Post
s not comfortable for long sits.
Comfortable? How easy do we want it? thankfully I have a high degree threshold for pain or something. Uncomfortable to me is humping hose in an fully involved partially collapsed structure that also happens to be warm and smoky dark. Sitting on a stand in any weather is like a lounge chair day for me

George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Old 06-23-2008, 08:41 AM
Musk Ox

Lowes has locks? Perfect! I just got a thing in the mail that I get $10 off a $25 dollar purchase.

I'm already shopping around for my perfect trees, and I've been watching some does and small bucks feeding in our field so that's a plus! Actually a Doe was just back there about an hour ago and just left.

Extra Cushion, got one down the basement that will be perfect. I know that since I got a thicker cushion on my turkey vest, I'll never go back to the old thin one. Lol Have to stay comfy!

TLC, I'm saving everything you just said. I've already practiced shooting from a sitting position, never at that hieght, but once everything is all set up I'll be sure to get some practicing done from it.

Can't wait to get it all set up!

I'm Proof As To What Little Girls Are Made Of
**GUNPOWDER & LEAD**