Go Back   Archer's Choice Media Forums > Hunting Forums > Archers Choice

Old 06-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Musk Ox

Smile Bow Hunting From Ladder Stands?

I used a Blind last year for the most part and in other places where a blind wouldn't work I simply found a nice spot to hide myself on the ground. I found a deal on Ladder stands and I bought 2, 16-footers by Ameristep.
I plan to hunt from them this Bow Season and Hopefully bag my first deer with a bow.

Any tips on set-ups and hunting from Ladder Stands? Any and ALL is appreciated!
Thanks,
Laura

-----------------------------
I'm Proof As To What Little Girls Are Made Of
**GUNPOWDER & LEAD**
Old 06-13-2008, 08:46 AM
Bighorn

I'm also looking at getting a ladder stand this year,I have 2 regular stands that every time I put them up I fight with trying to get them set.I was looking at getting a treelounger ladder stand,I can fall asleep and not worry about falling after a few hours sitting in a stand with no action I get pretty sleepy.

timba
Old 06-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Elk

Laura:

I regularly hunt from ladder stands. I will post quite a bit about them in a little bit...I'll be back.

BTW, does the one you just bought have a seat? What model is it so I can take a look at it.

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak
Old 06-13-2008, 10:36 AM
Musk Ox

One piece of advice I can give is to make sure you've got plenty of help when getting it set up. This ain't a one man job! AND DON"T FORGET SAFETY HARNESSES!!!!!!

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 06-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Elk

LOOOOONG REPLY!

Okay, so here goes...

I have a ladder stand, a climbing stand, and a ground blind. I also hunt out of other ladder stands and lock-on stands. Here is my take on ladderstands.

I have a Rivers Edge ladder stand that I love. It’s a 15-footer with a padded seat, swivel-out shooting rail, and padded back rest pad that I use to bow hunt hogs. I have spent as much as 8 hours at a time in that stand. The most important thing is safety. I like ladder stands better than the others because they are, in my opinion, the safest; not only do you have it buckled to the tree with a strap but you have two “supports” in the way of the ladder legs. You also have a brace that supports the ladder legs and keeps them from bowing or bending in. The hardest part is the belly crawl up the ladder when you stand it up to secure it to the tree. You might have someone help you put it up. The climbing stands are a little more dangerous since because of tree surface, not biting enough with the floor teeth or biting too much and struggling to pull the floor back out of the tree are not the safest. Also, if the top becomes detached from the bottom you might have a problem (ask Monie). But they are also pretty darn safe and very easy to pack in or out. I use mine when I’m hunting in an area that I don’t have permission to have a long term stand in. Locking stands are cool too. I’ve hunted many, but the lock-on ladder pieces that you use to get up to the lock-on stand aren’t always as stable as one would like. Many times they have shifted a bit when climbing. They aren’t going to come off but the shifting makes me be very careful.

The number one thing to remember is that you should NEVER hunt without a harness. The regular harnesses are kind of a pain and can easily turn into a bundle of “Christmas lights” if you’re not careful to keep straps from entangling while in storage. I bought a new “vest” safety harness from Hurricane Creek that I like very much.The straps are snapped into the vest so it makes it very easy to take it on or off without tangling straps. When I’m standing in the tree stand I put the tree strap around the tree at about shoulder length or a little above (the idea is to take as much slack out of the strap as possible while in a sitting position without making it tight or restricting your movement), then I use a D-Ring or carabiner on my tie-on strap to simply snap myself onto the tree.

Here are some comfort tips, etc. I use a Mountain Dew bottle with a wide mouth lid on a lanyard and hang it somewhere in my treestand where I can reach it. I put any trash (food wrappers etc.) in it for scent control. You might consider another receptacle with a lid (for scent control) for when Mother Nature calls (also on a lanyard to hang within reach). Some go from the stand with now problems but I try to make sure I don’t add any scents that aren’t already there except for attractants on occasion. I carry a butt pack with all my stuff (range finder, binos, flashlight, scent spray, gloves, face mask, thermacell, etc.) and I clip the waste belt around the arm of the ladderstand chair. I have a long “arm” with a bow hook on the end of it with several little hooks along the length of the arm. When I get situated I nock an arrow then hang my bow on the hook. I hang my binos, thermacell, and range finder on those hooks. I drink bottled soda or water. I use a lanyard (like what you get at an amusement park) to put around the neck of my soda or water bottle. I loop the lanyard onto the arm of my seat.

Then I sit and relax. I turn the volume on my phone to vibrate and many times I actually play video games (again with no sound) on my cell phone. I have pool and Sudoku as my favorites.

Make sure you use a rope and hook to raise your bow up to you after you climb and to lower it before you climb down. I use a Hurricane Fold-Back Buckle Release. The shaft of the release folds back towards my arm so that I can climb ladders safely and don’t have to worry about the release clanging against the ladder legs or rungs when I climb.

When you first set up your stand hop on the bottom rung a few times to “set” the ladder legs into the ground.

When you shoot from a stand (whether standing up or sitting down) make sure you maintain your “T” shooting form by bending at the waist! You’ll likely miss your shot if you don’t.

Use your range finder to get range information while still on the ground. When shooting from a stand. If you were 20 yards from your target on the ground, then you aim at 20 yards when your up in the tree even though the hypotenuse of that imaginary triangle is longer than 20 yards. Gravity compensates for the difference. Aiming at animals from a tree stand using the same distance as if you were standing on the ground makes things much, much simpler. Don’t try to shoot with a rifle shoot rest in the closed position. It gets in the way. When bow hunting, just keep it swung open. That shooting rail wouldn’t support your weight and your tied in anyway so don’t use it as a “comfort”.

You also want to place a ladder stand as close to a canopy as you can. This “hides” you for the most part but still gives you ample clearance to see, aim, and shoot. You may “brush in” around the ladder legs some so the ladder is not so conspicuous. Place a ladder stand so that you are downwind from the prevailing winds. Our prevailing winds blow to the East/Northeast so that’s where I place my stand in relation to where I expect to shoot. If the wind is different when I go out I use a ground blind on the other side (I keep my ground blind on the floor of my truck).

I hope this helps. I spend a lot of time in tree stands and these are the things I do. I hope to see pics soon!

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak
Old 06-16-2008, 07:58 AM
Musk Ox

Thanks for the replies! Let me google my stand and see if I can find a pic. It was the rails all around it and padded seat and backrest, oh and arm rests I think! I'm going to be one cozy hunter!
I do have a harness, although it's the christmas light one, but I've already tried putting it on and have started to master the process.
I tried climbers...SCAREY!!

Kevin, That was a Long but very imformative reply! Thanks!! I'm going to save it to a folder on my computer so I'll have it for later. It'll especially come in handy when I'm getting this thing all set up. Any other tips please let me know!

**GUNPOWDER & LEAD**
Old 06-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Musk Ox

Found the link,

http://www.ameristep.com/treestands/9402_gunner.html

I'm thinking I might be able to put some sort of fabric or something from about the arm rests to down to the platform, help conceal myself a little more.

**GUNPOWDER & LEAD**
Old 06-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Elk

Camo burlap at Wal Mart or Gander works well as a skirt of sorts around the sitting area.

Kevin

Old 06-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Musk Ox

I've used climbers and strap on stands religiously for deer. And usually go up at least 20 feet. I was in a ladder stand at about 12-15 feet for this last bear hunt and only 15 yards from the bait. The bear never new I was there. Check it for noise. If you set it up early enough, the animals will get used to seeing it and it won't spoke em!
Old 06-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Black Bear

I usally use hang ons that I put up at the beginning of Sept to give the animals time to get used to them. Have used climbers before also but find that you have to be careful that your bow doesn't hit the bars when you release. As for ladder stands I just bought one last fall and I never even used it yet, I've got a great place for it this year and It'll stay there till the season is closed.

Never had a problem with any of the hang ons that I've used but I make sure that once I'm done for the season they come down so that they are protected from the weather. No, stress on the chain or wear on the ratchet straps.

Matt