Old 06-13-2008, 04:48 AM
Caribou

Default Hand Guns

didnt know where to post this so i'm posting it here....
I want to get a handgun...I just don't know which one....
I've only shot a 9mm and a 357, both too big to be in my pocket,lol...i was thinking of something flat,small, but fierce.....any ideas?
Old 06-13-2008, 06:30 AM
Antelope

I carry a Glock M36 45 ACP, small and fierce. It packs well and is an excellent CCW. I also carry a Kimber CDP Pro II Custom Shop 45 ACP. Kimber makes alot of fine pistols in various size and caliber combinations but they prove to be too pricey for most as I paid $1200 for mine and put an extra $400 in it at Novaks. I also recently purchased the new Ruger LCP 380 pistol. This pistol is basically a glorified Kel-Tec but with Ruger badging. It makes a nice light holster-free pocket pistol for hot summer months, but its only a 380 caliber which is not my ideal choice for personal protection. There are several light small framed revolvers to choose from as well in 357 and 38 Special +P. It all boils down to what you like and what caliber you want. My personal preference is a 45 ACP for my CCW and personal protection weapon. I would go to a good sporting goods store with a wide selection of autos and revolvers and put your hands on them and see which fits you well and what you like. Good Luck and keep us posted

Last edited by Buckfever4life; 06-13-2008 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:45 AM
Caribou

Sigarms has a new pistol out is very configurable, its the Sig P250. There is only one static unit which is serialized. All of the other components are modular. It is configurable as subcompact, compact and full and can be configured as 9mm, Sig 357, SW40 and ACP45. I was at the Sig Academy about a month ago and had one fit for me and tried it out. It is lightweight due to the composite materials. I picked mine out and should get it soon. www.sigarms.com
Old 06-13-2008, 06:50 AM
Caribou

I have a Glock 23 in .40cal its a compact gun but you can get it in a more sub-compact version as well. The compact fits in the palm of my hand and could easily be put in a purse or pants pocket. Its what a lot of law enforement officers are now carrying....40cal packs nice punch. Best of all you don't ever have to worry about a Glock failing on you, they fire under any condition!
NAP Spitfires
Old 06-13-2008, 07:15 AM
Bighorn

I bought the a new ruger p345 last fall and love it.Its a little big for carrying around I think.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:55 AM
Black Bear

I personally like the springfield armory xd 40 subcompact. The keltech .380 is supersmall and if your just looking for a "get up off me" its great.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Musk Ox

I know the term "FLAT" generally means an auto, but have you considered a revolver? S&W makes some lite weight 38s or 357s that are pretty concealable.

If you have a local shop that has a gunrange and gun rentals, try different ones to see which one fits you and your needs. Be sure to explain your reasoning and they'll be a lot more helpful in helping you make a good choice.

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 06-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Antelope

When I'm carrying CCW, I carry a full size 1911 in 45. But if I were looking for something smaller I would go for the subcompact Springfield XD.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Caribou

In my best "Bond" voice: "Bond...Huntma Bond"

Get yourself a Walther PPK, small, light, and good enough for James!

Plus, Hitler used his to "off" himself when the Soviets were closing in.

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick

Last edited by Adam; 06-13-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:20 AM
Caribou

hahaha HutnmaBond...thats too funny.
I really just need something to protect me while i'm at work....not that anything has ever happened but i carry a knife, it's one of the first things you see when you see me, i don't want anyone to see anything....element of suprise
I'm out there sometimes 10 or more miles from anyone, I'd feel alot better knowing i could protect myself properly if need be.....
I was looking at the 45's....
It doesn't matter if it's a revolver or not as long as i know how to use it, i'll be just fine...but I had been leaning against one just for the fact that i thought they'd be too bulky.....Thanks y'all. I'll write down all of the ones y'all talked about and go from there....i'm wanting to go to a gun shop next week.