Old 06-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Muley

Default Alpen optics?

Any experiences with them? Research on the web gets lots of rave reviews on bang for the buck. I'm thinking 8x42, waterproof, camo of some variety or another. The Pro is very affordable, Apex somewhat higher, and Sport are dirt cheap.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Caribou

I have seen through them and they seem pretty good, I have a buddy that has one of their spotting scopes and likes it, but I've never tried it. I've got a set of Nikon's and love them. They've got a couple different price levels as well.

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 06-06-2008, 05:57 PM
Elk

Don't know about Alpen. I use Leupold 10x42 Wind River Cascades. They are excellent and I wouldn't trade them for Nikons or any other...well maybe Swarovsky. No Nikons though (unless someone was paying me to put little yellow Nikon stickers all over my stuff).

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak
Old 06-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Caribou

GWH, what nikon's have you used? Look at the monarch's and I'd put them up against just about any brand.

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 06-07-2008, 12:28 AM
Bighorn

and the gauntlet drops...

a hush falls over the crowd...
Old 06-07-2008, 05:31 AM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rick View Post
and the gauntlet drops...

a hush falls over the crowd...
rotflmao...I was thinking the same thing.

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 06-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Musk Ox

Not to step on any toes here, but I've used the Wind Rivers and love 'em. I had some Nikons and gave them to my brother. They seemed blurry or something. Not crisp I reckon. Ended up with some Pentax. Lost 'em somewhere this last season. Maybe I'll run across them this year as my stands are all in the same general areas. I gotta scrounge around to find my others, before season arrives.

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 06-07-2008, 08:40 AM
Caribou

I wasn't challenging anyone to a duel....just curious if he looked through a lower priced set of Nikon's. I have a Leupold scope, and I am really happy with it, it's an older model Varix-II 3-9-40. My thing is for the price of some of the big brands, I.E. Swarovski, Leica, Leupold, Nikon you get some very good glass with the Nikon's. I'm not slamming the other brands, just saying I think you get a good bang for your buck with the nikon's.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Black Bear

Send a message via MSN to HurricaneCreek

I would not dispute the Nikon's. My boyfriend uses them exclusively and swears by them. I have Celestron's and I swear by them I do have a cheap pair of Alpen's that I carry in my Jeep. They are just that, cheap. I don't have any experience with their more expensive bino's, maybe they are OK.

For anyone curious about comparing different bino's, here is an interesting (but somewhat technical) link. Scroll down near the bottom and you will find the reports/comparisons to click on.

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1769

PSE X-Force SS
Wac 'Em Tritons

You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need---Vernon Howard
Old 06-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Black Bear

If you are compairing cheap nikons like the sport modle (which I have) I can see why you like the leupold better just remenber to compare apples to apples or is it oranges to oranges, oh you know what I'm saying. I've also used the Monarch's (borrowed from a friend) and they were great. The same goes for the rifle scopes the pro staff scopes don't do as good in low light as the monarch I have one of each as well as a leupold vari x lll, and comparing the monarch and leupold I personally can't tell any difference.