Go Back   Archer's Choice Media Forums > Hunting Forums > BND - Bear'N Down

Old 06-03-2008, 07:08 AM
Muley

Default Will be using bug suit....help

I have always used Thermacells...it is not recommended where I am going because it will up my odds on a 500lber....anyone ever shoot a bow with a shannon bug suit?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:16 AM
Caribou

What will up your odds if you don't use your thermacell? R & V use theirs all the time and shoot monster bears and I've had plenty of deer around me while using one.
NAP Spitfires
Old 06-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Musk Ox

I've got one of the Shannon Suits but have never used it while shooting a bow. Wait until you get a blackfly inside of the hood and he starts doing laps between bites!

I thought the Thermacell isn't supposed to have any scent.

Va Hunter

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 06-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Muley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va Hunter View Post
I've got one of the Shannon Suits but have never used it while shooting a bow. Wait until you get a blackfly inside of the hood and he starts doing laps between bites!

I thought the Thermacell isn't supposed to have any scent.

Va Hunter
Thermacells does have a faint odor to humans....probably much more to animals. I use a "scent stick" of either anise or vanilla to mask the thermacell even more.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Caribou

It does have a faint odor but I don't think it affects the game at all. If your dead set on using a bug suit, I'd definitely use an arm guard to keep the material from hitting your string.
NAP Spitfires
Old 06-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Bighorn

I didn't think it would make much of a difference

timba
Old 06-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Caribou

I use my bugtamer all the time, it works great. Like youngbuck said, use an armguard, but I actually cut the leaves off the inside of my bow arm. It gives you plenty of room to shoot but really doesn't make much difference on concealment.

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 06-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Musk Ox

I used the Shannon's Bug Tamer 3D suit in Quebec for bear last week and it worked great. A couple got in the head net but no bites through the suit. I did use the Team Realtree EZ arm guard. Our guide specifically said no Thermacells. We used them around camp but not in the stand or around our hunting clothes. Practice with the headnet on and you will be fine.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Muley

Default Therma Cell & Bears

I HAVE BEEN USING THERMA CELLS FOR 2 YEARS NOW AND HAVE TAKEN 2 GOOD BEARS WITH THE UNIT ON. A 6 "9" NOSE TO TAIL AND A 6 "6".
I HAVE BEEN ON THE STAND FOR 3 DAYS NOW AND HAVE HAD THE UNIT ON WITH NO EFFECT TO THE BEARS I HAVE SEEN AND THAT ARE ATTACHED AS PHOTO'S. IT DOES GIVE OFF AN ODOR BUT I USE A VANILLA SCENT GEL TO HELP MASK THIS.

I was covered in mosquito's while baiting the site and after turning this unit on and a 10 minute time lag for it to heat up. I was bug free (amazing unit!)

MURPH
Old 06-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Whitetail

Default Thermacell It!!!

Forget the suit and use the thermocell. I don't think I have ever had a bear come into the bait that did not know something was sitting up in that tree. I had my thermocell running this year when my bear came under the stand from directly downwind. The best part was when I found him I put the thermacell on the ground beside him because the bugs were buzzing around all over him. While skinning I did not see one insect around me. Without it I would have been eaten alive!