Old 05-22-2008, 08:58 AM
Muley

Default Alberta ....hunt report

Just returned from my hunt in NW Alberta. There were some really good things...and some really weak things. Firstly...after sitting in the same stand for 3 nights...the big one finally shows up...very wary. We ae talking a 7" solidblack....in the 325 lb.range...VERY nice bear. The bait was aroung 22 yds from stand. The bear was around 18 yds in front of me and "barely" to slightly quartering away. If you saw Bear'n down 5...it was the exact angle of Ralphs first bear that he shot in Alberta on that video. My shot was a little high and a little far back for my liking....the bear took off faster than any bear I have ever seen move....gone! There was absolutely NO blood trail whatsoever...NOT good. The guide and I looked until our feet hurt...I lost 'em.

I have a policy (to myself) that if I dont recover the first bear, I dont shoot a second. So...my hunt ended on thurs. night. Still had a great time in incredible country. Unfortunately, I cann ot say that I would recommend this outfitter....some really un professional stuff about the hunt. Maybe I'll talk about it later. Well....thats the gist of it. On another note: going to Manitoba in 3 weeks to hunt a bear with a 5 1/2 ' front pad. Outfitter emailed me and told me that he has the bear that I am looking for. Great
Old 05-22-2008, 09:02 AM
Bighorn

Man that's a bummer! Sounds like that would have been a good bear.

I can appreciate the "policy".

I would be interested to read about what you didn't like. It would give those of us that are unfamiliar a sense of what to watch for.

I'll think good thoughts for the Manitoba hunt!
Old 05-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Moose

Thumbs up

Dang, that stinks. I'm sorry you lost him.

Good for you on your personal policy. Some guys fall to pieces and just lose another animal.

I wish you the best on your next hunt!!

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 05-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Musk Ox

Thanks for posting your hunt report although it didn't turn out the best. That to me says something positive about you right there on your morals. Sorry you lost your bear and I applaud you on making the decision of filing your tag even when the bear didn't make it back to camp.

I'm curious too as to what went wrong with the outfitter? Maybe you can share that later.

Best of or better luck in Manitoba!

Last edited by Bow Drawn; 05-22-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Moose

Thats a bummer losing the bear! Good luck in Manitoba!
Old 05-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Muley

Guys thanks for the encoraging remarks. I am a real 'nut' about getting into isolated and remote spots. I was in one the most remote spots that you can get into in Alberta....at the end of a 90 mile gravel road and then another 25 mles on the worst dirt road I have ever been on. The guide that I was with had problems. I am not a mean person so, I dont want to be miscronstrued here. I think that the guide that i had was somewhat emotionally imbalanced which put a strain on me to put up with him. Nothing beyond that...but, it was difficult to purely enjoy the hunt. Other guys at the main camp had disastrous reporst...faulty tree stands, dope smoking guides and 4 wheelers that were useless. I am VERY disappointed in the outfitter and probably won't go back or recommend others to go. It is a total shame...as I have hunted in Alberta before and love the province...ecspecially the real remote areas.

My next conquest is going to be Manitoba. I am going in 3 weeks. Outfitter told me there is a boar in their that has a 5 1/2 front pad...in the 500 lb. range. I possibly may make Manitoba or even Saskatchewan my new hunting spot. I never could figure out why Alberta is almost double the amount of money. It has less "boonies' than either Manitoba or Sask.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Moose

Go get that 500 pounder!
Old 05-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Bighorn

Thats too bad that it didn't turn out very well for you,I have lost a bear before and its not a good feeling but there isn't much you can do.I'm a alberta resident but hunt in sask,seems like less hunter and more bears.

I hope your next trip goes way better,good luck.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Antelope

which outfitter are you using in MB.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Muley

Cory Grant...All Terrain Bear Hunts...Thompson