Old 05-21-2008, 02:58 AM
Antelope

Default 11 yrd miss

Made it out 3 more time's since my last post with my boy with 1 of them being and evening shoot. Headed out to 1 of my spots where i've been seeing a huge tom hanging out regular to try and put my son on his 1'st bird, with no time for scouting I did'nt know this birds pattern other then he was always in the 1 wheat field so it was a long shot. Seen him and 7 other bird's that I was'nt sure what they were but had no interest in the calls. Got out again this past Sat. morning but we HAD to be out of the wood's by 11 for an appointment which screwed thing's BIGTIME. Set up on the field edge with atleast 4 birds sounding off, had 2 toms enter the field dancing for us and 8 hens. I called agressively hoping to bring the hens over and have the toms follow which worked somewhat. All the hens came over and started too feed anywhere's from 4 yrd's to 15 yrd's from us but the toms would not come any closer then 65 yrd's. This went on for about an hour and we just watched them leave the area or so we thought. 10 am role's around and I tell the boy i'm gonna check the fields and if I don't see anything we're outa here. Get about 3/4's of the way to the vehicle and I catch movement in the wheat, sure enough it's the big boy and he's slowly working his way up the fence line, so I tell my son to sit up against the fence post and just listen to me on what to do because I could see the bird's every move. He would parascope everynow and then but was still comming but it was taking along time. Assoon as he got to about 75 yrds I told him to get the gun up and be ready. 20 min's goes by and he's maybe come another 10 yrds and the watch now say's 11:11....S%$T time to go and the bird was spooked...OHWELL....Had to be in Hamilton by noon!
Made it out again this past Mon. with 3 sounding off on the roost so I started to call softly to them and then did a flydown cackle, around 6:15 am I catch some movement about 30 yrd's from us and told him to slowly get the gun up and pointed to my side of the tree, sure enough 2 jakes and there comming right to the hen decoy, by this time i'm grinning ear to ear because he's gonna get his 1'st. Told him to wait for them to seperate and then told him to shoot the 1 on the right.BOOOOOOM!!! Smile gone because he missed and I just looked at him and asked how did you miss that. 11 yrds and we watched the bird run away. He patterned that gun and it was on bigtime and I am really confused as to why he missed, told me he was'nt excited but I call BULL because I could here him breathing heavy. Try again this Sat.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:09 AM
Musk Ox

Don't be too hard on him, missed shots happen. Tight turkey patterns can ruin a good close shot if your off even a slight bit. It'll happen for you guys, Good Luck!!
Old 05-21-2008, 08:18 AM
Black Bear

Craig,
don't beat yourself up too much, it happens. More shots are missed at closer distances than farther. So it happens. Keep at it it will happen
Old 05-21-2008, 08:50 AM
Caribou

I know how that feels...I missed two in one day already! Just be positive w/ him.
NAP Spitfires
Old 05-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Moose

Everyone misses... Dont be to bummed out. Down the road you guys will laugh about it.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Antelope

Won't be hard on him and was laughing after it happened. Made sure I let him know that we could've been back at home and having a snooze by 7:30 but instead we did'nt get home untill noon or so. The kid like's his sleep. Hopefully this Sat. we can make it happen because that's it for me being able to get back out.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Black Bear

Craig,
I missed two on camera in this season. Ouch! So don't be so hard on yourself. You will get em' next time.