Old 05-16-2008, 01:13 AM
Whitetail

Default Idaho Elk

Hi Ya'll
I'm new to this , so please bear with me.
I'm going on my first elk hunt in Idaho this year. It's a DIY that some buddys and I have put together. Archery only! First week in Sept.
Panhandle Zone.
Any sugestions would be apperesiated (SP?)
By the way we Love your show. Problem is, Direct TV says now after all this time, I have to buy the preiam Pk to get Out Door Channel. That Sucks!
I have to buy 100 channels I don't want to get the one I do? HELP!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Moose

Welcome!!!! Glad you made it. As far as the Outdoor Channel, switch to Dish. You can go with a cheapie package and then order O.C. for 1.99 extra. That's what I do. I don't have the time to watch all those channels that you get when they INCLUDE the O.C., so, it's a waste.

I haven't been elk hunting, yet, so the others will have to fill you in on that.

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 05-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Bighorn

Nononononono! They tried that stuff with us too. We went to a Sportmans SHow and talked to a D TV Rep. If you call the customer service and push the issue, you can have ONLY that channel added for just a buck more a month.

Call them and talk it over.

Welcome to the forum and good luck in ID!
Old 05-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Elk

I went onto DirecTV.com and sent email through their customer service link to add Outdoor Channel. You have to specifically request it "A LA CARTE" to get it by itself.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Caribou

buckeyebigfoot, if you're going to the panhandle to hunt, you had better get into aerobic shape. you have never seen hills like they have out there. start walking with a backpack with extra weight in it. and you'll think this is a joke, but after a while, start breathing thru a straw when you walk. closest thing you can get to when it comes to the lack of oxygen you'll be in. good luck. you going to the dworshak zone?
Ted Nugent United Sportsman of America
Bowhunter
Hunt hard, go home happy, thank God for all he has given you
Old 05-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Antelope

Send a message via ICQ to yogi

Welcome buckeyebigfoot

If your going elk hunting in a new area to yourself... first time in a new area what i do is take a night ( yes all night) and drive around stopping every mile or so and call either cow call or bugle .. and just locate them .. elk do travel but once you locate them you can start your morning hunt in the right place .. sometimes elk go silent with the daylight but will be very vocal all night.

PS once you locate them don`t call in that area again till shooting light .. and keep your eyes open . they will come in silent.. and i do mean silent..

just one of my trade secrets to locating elk in a new area...lol
Old 05-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Whitetail

Default gooooood elk

Hey there,

I live in the Idaho Panhadle zone and I bowhunt for elk here every year. There are alot of elk around here. Where are you gonna be? Where are you from? It is steep, thick, gnarley huntin grounds. You'll want to be in shape. You will love it though. North Idaho gets overlooked alot when it comes to elk hunting (which suits me just fine) but there are elk everywyere you go.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Whitetail

Thank ALL of you for all the help!!! Sorry it took so long to reply! (Not very good at this computer stuff). Took a while to figure it out. It all sounds great! Answer to where-St Joe River around Simmons Creek. Hopfully there won't be many ATVs and such. We are trying to get away from civilazation.
Plan on hoofin' it up Simmons about 2 miles and camping. Hunt around that area. Travel light and move if we need to. Maybe around Swimming bear lake.
Any Advice????
Is this a good area?
Thank You All for all the help, it's really appreceated and needed!!
Thanks
Rick Morrison
Old 06-27-2008, 12:22 AM
Whitetail

First of all, Thank You ALL for the advise and input. It is all verry much needed and appriciated!!! And it has all helped!!!
To answer some questions;
From SE Ohio-Appalachain foot hills. Been working on gettin in shape for about a year. Figure the pack will weigh about 50#. Been hiking w/75 so the 50 will feel light. Like the idea of the straw-makes sence to me.
Will be hunting arround Simmons creek, unless we get any better advice-Ranger Jim said to hunt there, and try more down stream than up at first, then move up if we need to. The main objective is to be AWAY from motorcycles and ATVs. We want to be remote!!
Any other thoughts???
Thanks,
Rick
Old 07-02-2008, 12:45 AM
Whitetail

First of all, Thank You ALL for the advise and input. It is all verry much needed and appriciated!!! And it has all helped!!!
To answer some questions;
From SE Ohio-Appalachain foot hills. Been working on gettin in shape for about a year. Figure the pack will weigh about 50#. Been hiking w/75 so the 50 will feel light. Like the idea of the straw-makes sence to me.
Will be hunting arround Simmons creek, unless we get any better advice-Ranger Jim said to hunt there, and try more down stream than up at first, then move up if we need to. The main objective is to be AWAY from motorcycles and ATVs. We want to be remote!!
Any other thoughts???
Thanks,
Rick