Old 05-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Caribou

Default Screwed up...TWICE!

Today was just one of those days.

George and I got back in where he shot his bird on Friday as we know of 3 more long beards in there and we have them pegged. We know where they roost, where they like to travel, how many hens they have, everything.

So we sneak in today, this time I have my bow and my Cabelas Lightning Set blind and George is filming but brought his "12 banger" (as he likes to call it), just in case.

Well, we get in there and after a few minutes they open up and are gobbling at EVERYTHING! We hadn't set up yet as we were waiting to see where the most active roost was, so we snuck in as close as we dared to where a pair of birds were tearing it up. Well, that turned out to be a little TOO close, as apparently my "Lightning" set blind, was as loud as "Thunder" and promptly shut down the roost.

We stuck with it for a bit and I managed to get a couple "courtesy" gobbles out of them after fly down, but they just moved off with their hens and that was that.

So, after a while we pack up and then decide to head over to see which tree EXACTLY the birds are roosting in (we just knew the specific 50 yard area they were in before). I leave my stuff (bow, arrows, blind, vest, etc) where we were and we walk over to the roost tree.

We check out the area, and suddenly a gobble rings out about 200 yards away! George pops in a mouth call and yelps and he gobbles back and then a few seconds later he gobbles again and you can tell he's coming!

I turned around and RAN for my vest, trying not to break any branches or cause a racket and this bird is gobbling the whole time and he's COMING! I grab my vest, and take off after George to the field edge (the bird is in the field), while pulling on my gloves and facemask and putting in a mouth call myself. I tell George he's the shooter and we stop to call about 40 yards back from the field. GOBBBBBLLLLEEE!!! He's less then 100 yards out and we THINK we need to get to where we can shoot to the field because the whole border is thick with green briar.

We dart through the woods to a spot where it's fairly open up to the field and....BUSTED. He caught us moving and had swapped ends and was heading back the way he came at full tilt. DANG!

That was a dead bird walking and we knew it and STILL blew it. I hate when that happens! Oh well. That was the first time we'd screwed up this year and it was bound to happen.

We'll be back after them!

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 05-14-2008, 07:44 AM
Musk Ox

Ah Man! You were Soooo close!! Those birds that are smoking hot always seem to ruin the game plan. I remember one time we were just coming out of the woods but before we made it to the front we hit the call. Boom! 2 Gobblers sounded right off! YES! We started a mad dash closer to their location and we about ran into each other!! They were running to us and we to them. Dumb Buggers...
Sounds like you still have a really good chance of bagging one at that spot though, Good Luck!
Old 05-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Moose

Aint it funny when we manage to screw up the ones that want to be shot. Thats what makes us go back for more I guess. Good luck on bagging another.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Caribou

Back into the same place this morning and never heard a peep! Usually they are tearing it up in there! We were 75 yards from where they've roosted every night since March and today...POOF...gone. Unbelievable. We didn't bust them out either.

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 05-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Bighorn

Don't think it's you buddy...

EVERYTHING I touch this week has gone south on me. I think Mars is in a bad conjunction with Venus or somethin like that.