Old 05-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Caribou

Default Albinos

Apparently we've got a herd of 'em running wild around here. Rick saw a group of 3 of them Tuesday morning in a winter wheat field, a couple miles from my house. A truck driver told him he saw them later that day on the other side of the road. Then a buddy of mine called me last night to tell me I have an albino nearby. His mother had seen one in a feild about a mile from here, probably 1-2 miles from the others. I talked to some buddies about it, and they had heard about the solo last fall, it seems its a decent buck. He had been seen last fall running around with a pair of pants in his rack like he had attacked a clothesline. Now it's my mission for the next couple of weeks to catch them on video!!!

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 05-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Whitetail

There are certain areas that have the genetics to have them. Vilas and Buffalo Counties in Wisconsin they are not that uncommon.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Caribou

Well I went to look for them tonight, I had to put brakes on my truck so I was running late and didn't grab the camera Sure enough when I got there there was a family standing next to their truck with cameras in hand. The deer were standing about 200 yards off the road in some brush, I was able to get the bino's on them before they walked into thicker cover. So I drove down the road a ways to turn around and when I came back they had crossed a fenceline and were a little more visible but not much. I don't know if I could have gotten them on cam or not, it was kinda dark and pretty thick. But I was able to see them pretty good with the bino's. There is actually 4 of them 1 ghost white and 3 are piebald. It looks like 2 are last years fawns, 1 may be a doe, and the all white one is the largest. I couldn't tell if the big one had nubs yet or not and they were getting kind of spooky so I left so the family might be able to some pics of them. One of the fawns actually looks like a blackbuck antelope, and the other two have got white legs and the white starts to mix with brown just above the middle of the body. I'm going to try and get permission on the propety to try and video them, but in the mean time I'll try and get some pics for you guys from the road!

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:44 AM
Whitetail

that would be cool. never seen a white deer here in oklahoma, although i'm sure theres probably some out there. the only white deer i've seen were in illinois back in the summer of 03. i was haulin' trailers out of elkhart In. and saw them on I-70 in Ill. at about the 134 mile marker. one of them was a big 10 the other was a doe. haven't been back that way since then, but it sure was cool to see them. i saw them on several diffeerent times over that summer.

KEEP THE WIND IN YOUR FACE
AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Bighorn

thats cool,if you can get some pics that would be awesome.

timba
Old 05-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Musk Ox

At one time, back in the 80's, we had a bunch of the Piebald deer around here. They've slowly disappeared ,but one turns up now and again. What ever gene that was effected never effected their racks. There were some pretty goods, for around here, killed.

VA Hunter

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 05-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Bighorn

Piebald deer???

wow!
Old 05-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Musk Ox

Yeah, I've seen them with patches of brown or white all over them. Some are marked kinda like a Pinto horse.

Va Hunter

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 05-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Black Bear

hey Va hunter where are you located in Va.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:14 AM
Musk Ox

Wow a whole family of them? That's Awesome! Definitely try and get some Pics to show us!
We had a small Piebald Doe running around a couple years ago, haven't seen her lately or heard of anyone getting her during season. Kind of thinking she got picked off by someone during the off season.
I do have pics some place of a Piebald Buck that someone from the area got awhile ago. He was a small 8-point I think.