Old 02-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Caribou

Default Scouting

I did some scouting on the properties I hunt this past weekend. One property is POLLUTED with turkeys! Sign absolutely everywhere!

The other propter didn't have any sign but they always seem to show up in the spring!

Anyone else out?

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 02-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Moose

As soon as I shake off the flu clold or whatever I have. I will be out looking. I heard our lease is polluted with birds again this year. I hope 08 is a better year then 07. Turkeys were tough last year all across the country. When we did get one to come in we some how managed to blow the shot. My scout wont be able to go listen every morning. This is the first spring she will miss since her work hours changed. I may possibly be changing jobs real soon so my spring Pa time maybe limited.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Caribou

I had a tough time too last year, I worked loads of birds but they were always henned up. I could've had a monster the first day but had my bow in hand instead of my gun and the shot was out of my comfort zone. He was HUGE and in a wide open field... I worked him several more times but he never came in again.

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 02-19-2008, 01:49 PM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I had a tough time too last year, I worked loads of birds but they were always henned up. I could've had a monster the first day but had my bow in hand instead of my gun and the shot was out of my comfort zone. He was HUGE and in a wide open field... I worked him several more times but he never came in again.
That happen to me in 05 in PA. Luckily I took the T/C encore 12 gauge muzzleloader with. If I didnt it would of saved me a couple bucks though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg base in room.jpg (76.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullmoose38 View Post
That happen to me in 05 in PA. Luckily I took the T/C encore 12 gauge muzzleloader with. If I didnt it would of saved me a couple bucks though.
when you have the turkey mounted, do you skin it so you can get the meat? or how do they do that?
Old 02-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbg40g View Post
when you have the turkey mounted, do you skin it so you can get the meat? or how do they do that?
I take it right to the taxidermist if I shoot one local. He skins it right away so I can keep the meat. The ones out of state I didnt keep to eat.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Moose

Adam when you are scouting year to year. Do the birds roost in the same general area? It seems like they do here. Once spring season comes the birds just appear.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:21 PM
Caribou

i haven't gone on any offical scouts yet...we're probably doing a burn tomorrow, so it looks like thurs. will be my first morning out....i've been seeing one or two toms with small groups of hens these last fews days....I hope all of y'all have many birds around ya this spring.......
Old 02-20-2008, 03:41 PM
Caribou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullmoose38 View Post
Adam when you are scouting year to year. Do the birds roost in the same general area? It seems like they do here. Once spring season comes the birds just appear.
Yeah, for the most part. Barring any disturbance from logging or developments of course.

I pretty much decided that from now on, if I'm hunting with a buddy, there will be a bow and a shotgun in the blind with us so that situation doesn't happen again! haha

That bird was an absolute toad, definitely would've been my biggest ever and would've been the 3rd year in a row we killed a bird on that property on opening day. I still kick myself when I review the video...

Old 02-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Caribou

There's still to much snow up on the ridges to get up there, and now there seems to be 10" of mud ever were, but hey the more water the better the horn growth!!

DOUBLE G OUTFITTERS