Old 02-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Whitetail

Send a message via Yahoo to Gary Lloyd
Default The back yard buck

The back yard buck

The 2006 deer season is one Iíll never forget. I hunted hard during bow season with no results. Gun season presented me with no shots either. Black powder also started off slow too. I had been traveling almost a hundred miles one way to a public land area in N.W. Ohio and had spent a lot of money on gas. I decided to hunt a small 3 acre wood lot in the middle of the fields behind my home on the last day of muzzleloader. I got up early and made the seven min. walk to my ladder stand. After three hours of not seeing anything, I walked back to the house to warm up. After getting my wife up for work, she wanted me to take her. I told her I planed to go back out to my stand. She was a bit upset with me when she pulled out of the driveway. I was back on my stand ten min. later. I watched as a couple of hunters went out to the woods directly east of my location. It was around 10:45 am when I heard something running along the tree line toward me. At 30 yards, a big wide racked 10 point jumped the old broke down fence in front of me. I took aim , and grunted to try and stop him. He was still on the trot , now 25 yards and quartering away. I squeezed off the shot and the buck made a hard right turn. Trying to reload and watching him slowly walk away, now going deeper into the woods. I took a second shot when he stopped at 90 yards and missed. I watched as the buck walked off to the west and lost sight of him. After gathering my nerves awhile , I got down to look for blood. I only found hair, a lot of hair. I looked for a good half hour and found no blood. I then started to walk in the direction the buck went , wondering how I messed it all up. Thatís when I seen legs. I slowly walked up to, and around a big oak to see his rack. I had the greatest feeling of accomplishment and relief come over me. I hit him a little far back but still got the liver. There was no exit hole. Not even a drop of blood on the ground. When my wife returned that afternoon , she couldnít believe her eyes. The buck has an outside spread of 20 inches, tip to tip measures 18 1/8. He nets 131 5/8 . Scored by BBBC Ohio. He might not have made book , but he is my trophy of a life time none the less.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_2007111413122375095.jpg (5.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_2007072219242070363.jpg (12.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_2007080317265041517.jpg (1.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Musk Ox

Nice story!!!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Caribou

Nice buck!

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 02-20-2008, 04:13 PM
Antelope

Awesome story and nice buck!!
Old 02-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Caribou

Yes great buck and great story!

DOUBLE G OUTFITTERS