Old 02-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Black Bear

Default when is camo vital

Ok here comes a dumb question by a new hunter, but it's always been something I've wondered. What animals is it vital to wear camouflage. The reason I ask is that I watch numerous tv shows where the hunter is camo'd up from head to toe with $100's of dollars in camo and the guide is wearing a pair of wranglers, a flannel and a cap. So which animals is camo vital and which animals is it not. Thanks, I got that question out of my system.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Antelope

if im bow hunting...its all camo all the time.

rifle...not worried about bears seeing me. everything else i wear the camo again.

Darton Pro 3000---Darton Wrangler---Elite GTO---Elite Synergy XT---Bowtech Allegiance---Archery Research AR-31---Carbon Express---Muzzy MX-3
Old 02-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Caribou

cpd, has less to do with camo and more to do with breaking up your silhoutte. have shot deer with jeans and a t-shirt on. no face mask, no face paint, and a pink hat. came from one of my suppliers, not a normal hat I wear. on the bear hunt last year, guys were wearing wool pants and flannel shirts. turkeys, not sure as I don't hunt them. this isn't going to be the concensus on here, but it's whats happened with me. as long as you break up your silhoutte as much as possible, not sure that it matters that much what you wear. but do wash the clothes you are hunting in in something with a UV killer. or baking soda will work also.
Ted Nugent United Sportsman of America
Bowhunter
Hunt hard, go home happy, thank God for all he has given you
Old 02-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd realpolice View Post
Ok here comes a dumb question by a new hunter, but it's always been something I've wondered. What animals is it vital to wear camouflage. The reason I ask is that I watch numerous tv shows where the hunter is camo'd up from head to toe with $100's of dollars in camo and the guide is wearing a pair of wranglers, a flannel and a cap. So which animals is camo vital and which animals is it not. Thanks, I got that question out of my system.
hey, cpd! In my book, there is only ONE dumb question by a new hunter. That is the question you SHOULD ask but never do!
Old 02-20-2008, 06:48 AM
Caribou

I've notice other things in some of the shows. They'll get out of the sack, don their camo outfits and then sit down for a big breakfast of bacon, eggs and sausage and then head right out to their stands. As they leave the lodge they mention that they still smell the aroma of breakfast waifing from the cabin. They have just covered themselves heavily with the scents of people and food. I then find it interesting when that big buck bolts just as he starts to come within shooting range "must have smelled me". DUH!
Old 02-20-2008, 07:40 AM
Moose

lol...that reminds me of a show I watched months back. A mom and daughter were hunting/filming and a nice buck comes in, gets a whiff and runs the other way. You look at the mom and she is wearing makeup!! double duh!!!!!

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 02-20-2008, 07:42 AM
Musk Ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monie View Post
lol...that reminds me of a show I watched months back. A mom and daughter were hunting/filming and a nice buck comes in, gets a whiff and runs the other way. You look at the mom and she is wearing makeup!! double duh!!!!!
Bull's makeup doesn't seem to spook deer
Old 02-20-2008, 07:44 AM
Moose

The biggest thing is keeping yourself scentfree. thats the best camo in my opinion. Turkeys camo is an absolute must! Also for turkeys you dont need to worry about scent. Unless you are taking someone out on a turkey hunting date.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Caribou

Yes you don't have to have camo for everything, but I just like it, can't have enough camo in my book

Speaking of camo I need to get to Sportsmans Ware House, so I can get the little lady some camo for turkey season, it will be her 1st hunt!

DOUBLE G OUTFITTERS
Old 02-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Elk

Camo is important for the following reasons:

Paramount! = to break up your silohuette (sp?) Many animals don't see color (ie. deer, hogs, etc.) but all can see a shape that doesn't fit in it's normal environment. Many times you see people hunting deer with blaze orange camo clothing. I don't wear flat orange vests, it doesn't fit in the environment when walking in the woods.

2nd most important = some animals DO see color like turkeys. Turkeys can see color and see very clearly. it's been said that a turkey can see a blink at 50 yards. Any color - you'll get busted. Camo head to toe including face mask, gloves, etc. They can see your jewelry and anything shiny.

3rd most important = I say this but actually it's the most important in all situations possible. The best concealment is to NOT MOVE.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak