Old 02-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Caribou

Default Mineral Station

After determining where the deer are spending most of their time on one of the properties I hunt, by tracking them in the snow until I found the greatest concentration of sign, I hiked in with a 30 lbs mineral lick designed for deer. It provides them with the nutrients they need to increase growth and lactation in does. I spread some corn around and guarded the station with a trail camera. Hopefully no one steals it as I plan to leave it there all year and see how the deer progress and how often they use it.

Anyone else put in minerals stations?

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 02-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Moose

I been using Antler King for probably over 10 years. They go nuts over it. I did try the Antler King block this past year. The deer didnt seem to care for it as much as the loose stuff. I occasionally try other stuff when my store is all out. Another good mineral supplement is persimmon flavored stuff. It comes in a little burlap bad to hang it. I cant think of the name or who makes it.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Caribou

This was just some block I found at Tractor Supply.

I don't have the $ or equipment (or land really) to do any kind of food plot but wanted to put something out to help them and get some good pictures to see what's around.

I can't remember the name of the block but it's designed for deer. I have 2 more at home for other properties, I'll have to see if I can remember to write down the name.

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 02-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Elk

I haven't done one yet, but I'm going to get a mineral block this weekend when I get paid. I can't shoot any deer this time of year, and I can't rifle-shoot deer in my back yard during gun season because of all the houses around, but I CAN shoot one with a bow when archery season opens. I want to get them used to coming through my back yard for minerals, feed, whatever.

I have to remove any leftover stuff that might be considered "bait" 10 days before the season opens, but if they are used to looking for it here, they will probably keep coming anyway.