Old 02-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Antelope

HuntnMa, I hope to get a couple more of those funny looking things at the Texas Shoot-Out this week at the Callaghanranchltd.com. I'll keep you-all posted.
Grant
Old 02-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Antelope

Ol Buck setteled in for a ride to the Texas Shoot-Out Sunday..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0452.JPG (67.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 02-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Caribou

Good Luck!!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Elk

Should've let me know. I would have carpooled with ya out there. I'm not going though. Too late. Maybe next year. Hope you have GREAT luck! Want to see pics when you get back. 175 bucks is a pretty good deal over there!

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak
Old 02-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Whitetail

We are leaving this weekend for a week in Texas hunting hogs. Have been there two years in a row and have yet to see a pig in bow light. I did take a javelina in 06 and that was fun.
The real highlite of the trip was riding around shooting armadillos. Brought one of those home and had it mounted too. Not as easy as you would think to kill them.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Elk

Hey 4PinkMuzzys:

Welcome to the site! Hope you make yourself comfortable and looking forward to reading your posts and checking out future kills, etc.

Yeah, we have a ton of hogs here. Whereabouts have you been hunting? Are you going to the same place. We have tons of hogs around where I live and there are some VERY affordable hog hunts around here. 250 bucks and less at a couple of places for a weekend.

Most of the hogs I kill are at night with a spotlight. Last one was with a bow. Use a 1/4" peep and a hawglite or hunt under a feeder with feeder lights. using a larger peep allows you to see the hog clearly in the artificial light. A peep too small will not allow you to see effectively when using the lights at night. use a red light. Hogs don't tend to spook with red light. I've heard the same for green. If feeder lights are used it doesn't matter after a little bit hogs get used to the light and come right in to feed. The important thing is to hunt with feeder lights that have been coming on at dusk and turning off at dawn religiously before you ever go to hunt so hogs have "warmed up" to the lighted area. Using a motion or security lighting may not be bad at first but hogs will quickly equate lights turning on to death and avoid feeding stations. They are incredibly smart animals. I don't care what anyone says! Also, if your using a sight light that shines down on your pins adjust it down so that it just barely lights up the pin tips. If it doesn't adjust (like mine) cover the light with electrical tape and put pin holes through the tape to allow enough light through to light up your pin tips. Too much light from your sight light will also blind you (kind of like driving at night with the dome light on). If your sight light is a side mount that lights up the coiled fiber optic wires then don't worry about adjusting it. Your're just trying to light up the sight pins without creating a bunch of illumination within the sight ring. Also hawglites come with a red lens and screw right into the stabilizer hole on your riser. They are about 45 bucks and shine out about 50-60 yards. My tree stand is 17 yards from my feeder and it lights up the feeding area very well from my stand. Hope some of this helps.

If you have questions or need advice on hunting them put it here and I'll try to help. I'm not an expert but I've killed my share.

I also forgot to mention you want to aim low. Their heart is lower and more forward than a deer. What I do is put it right in the front shoulder. You shouldn't have any trouble penetrating the shield and hitting a mess of vitals behind there. With a rifle shoot sows right behind the ear. They won't go anywhere. I don't like to shoot boars there because if the have cutters/wetters I want the skull.

I'd like to hear how your hunt goes. Best of luck!

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak
Old 02-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Caribou

Good Luck from me too.......
Old 02-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Caribou

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Falcon View Post
Me on right my friend Mike on left. Jacksburo Tx. We got 5 hogs that day, great day!!
Those look huge! Are they average size for that area? Some of the outfitters that I've checked out say that their average hog is 125-150lbs. Those in your pics look like they would double that weight......
Old 02-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Elk

125 -150 lbs is fairly small IMHO to consider an average unless your including piglets. I would guess that the average mature hog I see is about 200 lbs. The sow hanging in my pic was 200 lbs. the boar looks unimpressive because of the terrible angle. There was a big stick I used to prop him up because I didn't find him until the next day but he was 300 on the scale. He is the biggest I've taken. My buddy has a number of hogs that will go 300-400 lbs. The place where I shot the black boar in the pic, my buddy the landowner, was charged at 30 yards by a 600 pounder. He twisted his ankle in the process but was able to jump out of the way. He recently shot a 350+ pound hog with 3" tusks. He was a bruiser. I recently missed a 400 lb sow. I see them quite a bit pushing 300 lbs but I never seem to be hunting them at that moment darnit! They're short little creatures but they've definately got some weight to them.

Kevin

Old 02-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Caribou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great White Hunter View Post
125 -150 lbs is fairly small IMHO to consider an average unless your including piglets. I would guess that the average mature hog I see is about 200 lbs. The sow hanging in my pic was 200 lbs. the boar looks unimpressive because of the terrible angle. There was a big stick I used to prop him up because I didn't find him until the next day but he was 300 on the scale. He is the biggest I've taken. My buddy has a number of hogs that will go 300-400 lbs. The place where I shot the black boar in the pic, my buddy the landowner, was charged at 30 yards by a 600 pounder. He twisted his ankle in the process but was able to jump out of the way. He recently shot a 350+ pound hog with 3" tusks. He was a bruiser. I recently missed a 400 lb sow. I see them quite a bit pushing 300 lbs but I never seem to be hunting them at that moment darnit! They're short little creatures but they've definately got some weight to them.

Yes, I've heard that when hog hunting you better take them down with the first shot as they might charge. I can't imagine being chased by a 200-300lb hog, although I think my wife might like to see it filmed.