Old 01-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Antelope

I agree this isn't teaching kids the proper way to check. I have always heard to check the eyes first...put a stick or something up and see if it blinks. I see I'm not the only one that checks for breathing. If I am hunting by myself, I will stand back for several minutes just observing the animal. I have been known to be a big chicken sh*t from time to time and I want to be absolutely sure that what ever I have popped with a bullet or arrow won't be jumping up for revenge I am certain if that ever happened, I would not only be known as a chicken sh*t , but also as the woman that wet her pants
Old 01-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Muley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monie View Post
I may be totally wrong on this but, I suspect it's already been checked when they went to clean it up for the camera. Then, they go back and get the "recovery" on film and because they already know it's dead aren't as "cautious".

I see your point, though and agree.
That one of the biggest things I hate with the some of the show on tv and videos, When they find the deer and they say there it is and the deer is between the hunter and the camera......FAKE and staged , For my self I would much rather see a over the shoulder recovery. I have talk to many other hunters about this and we all agree and laugh at bs talk that some hunter says about finding the deer when its clear they found it maybe 30 min to an hour before that and maybe had to do 10 retakes...

I say if you hunt fair chase then dont go staging the recovery...

ok, as to my self I go up to the deer and look for any movement and if its breathing and then get close and poke its eye with a stick,it it blink is sure is not dead, one other sure way to tell is to see if the tongue is sticking out. It is very rare for it not to be sticking out when dead.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Antelope

I just walk up and kick it in the behind that is if I have any question. Usually I am possitive the animal is dead and dont even worry about any of that.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Elk

It does seem to be a rather faked recovery when the sun appears to be shining brightly when the animal is shot, but when they go to actually find the deer, it's pitch dark and they have to use lights for the camera. Like they waited several hours to recover a deer that hit the ground on camera.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:18 PM
Muley

I approach cautiously and that's about it. I don't poke 'em. Normally the animals that I harvest go down within sight. If they don't get up by the time I hit the ground, they're not going anywhere. Bino's come in handy prior to climbing out of a stand. Ground blind is another thing. Approach cautiously.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:50 PM
Muley

Unhappy

Well...now I cautiously approach the downed animal from the rear and look for signs of life. I then touch an eye with a stick or even my gun barrel.

A few years ago my son shot a nice buck. It dropped like a sack of potatoes. The truck was closer than the deer, so we unloaded our rifles and grabbed the field dressing backpack and cart.

When I got to the deer I kicked it in the head, as I was accustomed to doing. That's when ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE. This deer jumps up and tries to ventilate me. I grab his antlers and fall back on the ground wrapping my legs around him. He is mad and trying to kick me too. Maybe stomp me is a better description.

I am thinking my son is going to see this deer kill me, so I pull out my knife and try to stab his heart. I remember thinking not to cut the artery in my leg while doing this. You have weird thoughts while something is trying to kill you. We are literally wrestling on the ground in a life and death battle and I was losing.

Finally the deer breaks away and runs off with my knife sticking in his side. Battered, but not really injured, we go to the truck and get the guns. We find the deer about two hundred yards away already expired. I put another bullet in him to make sure.

It turns out the first shot went high and must have knocked the deer out or something. I can tell you deer can fight better than most men and you better believe it.

I would appreciate it if you do not tell too many people about this. It is kind of embarrassing. SRM out!

Last edited by SunRiverMan; 01-29-2008 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:01 AM
Moose

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!! That goodness you're all right!!!!!!!

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 01-31-2008, 09:27 AM
Moose

Deer are strong animals. A few years back we tranquilized one to transport it. There was 4 of us moving the deer when it woke up. I was the last one hanging on by his head. Didnt take long for him to throw me off to. That day I learned a lesson!
Old 01-31-2008, 09:23 PM
Caribou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRiverMan View Post
Well...now I cautiously approach the downed animal from the rear and look for signs of life. I then touch an eye with a stick or even my gun barrel.

A few years ago my son shot a nice buck. It dropped like a sack of potatoes. The truck was closer than the deer, so we unloaded our rifles and grabbed the field dressing backpack and cart.

When I got to the deer I kicked it in the head, as I was accustomed to doing. That's when ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE. This deer jumps up and tries to ventilate me. I grab his antlers and fall back on the ground wrapping my legs around him. He is mad and trying to kick me too. Maybe stomp me is a better description.

I am thinking my son is going to see this deer kill me, so I pull out my knife and try to stab his heart. I remember thinking not to cut the artery in my leg while doing this. You have weird thoughts while something is trying to kill you. We are literally wrestling on the ground in a life and death battle and I was losing.

Finally the deer breaks away and runs off with my knife sticking in his side. Battered, but not really injured, we go to the truck and get the guns. We find the deer about two hundred yards away already expired. I put another bullet in him to make sure.

It turns out the first shot went high and must have knocked the deer out or something. I can tell you deer can fight better than most men and you better believe it.

I would appreciate it if you do not tell too many people about this. It is kind of embarrassing. SRM out!

I'm glad that you made it out of that one alright. It could have turned out a LOT worse.

By the way, your secret is safe with me.