Old 06-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Moose

Default Teach them young

So, the kids were doing their usual, "Bam bam bam!! Bam BAM!!" They like to kill deer and usually do it on a daily basis. They fashion guns out of legos. Cool. They get points for being creative. In this playing stage, I'm taking the opportunity to teach them good habits now, instead of waiting until they have the real thing in their hands. First and foremost, they are NEVER allowed to "shoot" each other, no matter what kind of "gun" they have. That is a bad habit to get into. Period. They get a time out for that. Secondly, they can't just go shooting deer, because they are there. I explain that we kill deer to eat them and that we need to respect the deer and thank them. Because Faith is older and grasps the concept better, I have her "gut, hang, skin, butcher, wrap and freeze" her deer before she is allowed to go "shoot" another deer. One new thing they learned this weekend is to not shoot when there are people in front of you. They usually "shoot" their deer out the front window. The guy across the street was walking his Great Dane, and I made them wait, explaining that they should NEVER shoot when someone is in front of them. So they waited, until he was around the corner, then shot. They saw a "girl" coming from across the street and patiently waited for her to pass, without me telling them what to do. Cool.

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com

Last edited by Monie; 06-14-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Black Bear

Monie, Not that I would dare tell you how to raise your kids, but my brothers, cousins, friends and I played cops and robbers, cowboys and indians, and army all the time growing up. None of us grew up being serial killers or accidently killing anyone else. We were taught the difference between make believe and reality at a young age. We were also taught at a very young age that we DID NOT touch any of Dad's weapons without his permission and him being present. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Musk Ox

Here's one for ya...

I got one of the Lone Ranger pistol and Rifle set when I was about 5 yrs old. This was back in the mid 60's, so some of ya'll won't remember, but it came with silver cases that had a spring inside. You pushed the bullet down against the spring and it snapped into the shell. When the rear of the case was hit, by the hammer of the gun, the spring would propel the "bullet" down the barrel.
It was Christmas morning, 1964 or '65 . I'd opened my presents and was becoming THE LONE RANGER. Had on the holsters carrying 2 big chrome sixguns and carrying my trusty rifle, when my 5 cousins showed up. My aunt and uncle was pushing them into the house, from the cold, while carrying loads of presents. My bald headed uncle had to pull off that hat while I was looking down thru the bannister at them. When that head started shining, it presented the pefect target for a 5 yr old. I popped him right in the ole bean!
Next thing I know, he's coming up the stairs with murder in his eye! I took a butt whooping, from my uncle, on Christmas morning. Then I took a butt whooping from my Daddy! To top it all off, I lost all my guns until after my birthday in Feb. I don't remember aiming anything at anybody for a long time!

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 06-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Musk Ox

Ya gotta start them out somewhere, sometime. Knowing the whys, whens and what to do with it, are things they'll need later anyhoo. Rigt now they're sponges. Fill them up with the right stuff!

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 06-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Caribou

Send a message via Yahoo to Cherokeechass

My kids are not allowed to point there guns at each other. Although my son just can't help but to shoot his sister in the butt with the nerf gun every now and then! They have been taught they aren't allowed to touch any of our guns (or theirs) unless we are present. Except for the BB gun. Dalton is going to be unstoppable when he gets a little older. He shot a spider the other day at the shed in the pine woods. We don't usually let him shoot at critters but them big spiders need to go!