Old 01-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Caribou

Default Missouri river breaks

Just wondering if anyone has archery hunted elk in the Missouri river breaks in Montana before. Me and a couple of friends are thinking about appling and wondering if anyone has any info. Thanks.
SLICK TRICKS
APEX NITRUS SIGHT
Old 01-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Black Bear

Send a message via MSN to mnsqueeze

my boss was there this past year., they did real good ., he did say, make sure you know where your at ., there are some guides around there that don't take to kindly of even glassing there stuff!! the one guide came driving bent hell for election, drove right up to them and said: my guys saw you draw back on a bull across the river yesterday!! my boss said , really., we were not even here yesterday! just make sure your boundary's., i will talk with him wed. when he is back and ask him more of where they were!
Old 02-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Muley

I read this several times and had to comment. I too have had outfitters confront me and even drive dangerously close like they wanted to run me off the road. One time he even had clients in the vehicle with him.

So here's what I did. I wear a sidearm, mine is a .44 magnum, in plain view. It is legal here. When the outfitter starts his rant I rest my hand on the revolver the whole time and do not say much at all. I just look at him like he is stupid or something.

Make sure you know you are not trespassing. I always know where I am at and where the boundary is. It is better to have at least two people doing this, one getting the rant, and the other in an overwatch position.

Don't let the outfitter's words bother you. He won't come back unless you are trespassing. DO NOT threaten the outfitter or remove the revolver from the holster, such as brandishing. You are not looking for a gunfight.

Montana Code Annotated 2007

87-3-142. Harassment prohibited. (1) A person may not intentionally interfere with the lawful taking of a wild animal or fishing by another.
(2) A person may not, with intent to prevent or hinder its lawful taking or its capture, disturb a wild animal or engage in an activity or place in its way any object or substance that will tend to disturb or otherwise affect the behavior of a wild animal.
(3) A person may not disturb an individual engaged in the lawful taking of a wild animal or fishing with intent to prevent the taking of the animal or the capture of the fish.
(4) This section does not prohibit a landowner or lessee from taking reasonable measures to prevent imminent danger to domestic livestock and equipment. This section does not prohibit or curtail normal landowner operations or lawful uses of water.

87-3-143. Penalty. A person convicted of a violation of 87-3-142 is guilty of a misdemeanor and is punishable by a fine not to exceed $500 or imprisonment not to exceed 30 days, or both. A person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of 87-3-142 is punishable by a fine not to exceed $1,000 or imprisonment for a term not to exceed 1 year, or both.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Caribou

OK now we now what the outfitters are like, what are the elk like??
SLICK TRICKS
APEX NITRUS SIGHT
Old 02-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Caribou

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrhead View Post
OK now we now what the outfitters are like, what are the elk like??
Sounds like a place I don't need to go to

George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Old 02-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Muley

This year most people that got an elk got them from there. If you let an outfitter run you off from public land he wins. They are just passionate about making a living. Know the laws and boundaries and you will be fine. SRM
Old 02-11-2009, 06:58 AM
Elk

I hunt up there every year in the Bitterroot and the Gallatins with the inlaws who live 1/2 hours South of Missoula. Good hunting in the Bitterroot. Isnt the Breaks tough to draw in? It's one of the few places if I recollect that is by special draw on bulls unless I'm mistaken. Hard for nonresidents to get drawn and if you do you have to trade in your normal bull tag.

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak
Old 02-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Caribou

I believe they came out with special archery only tags this year, so it whould be a little easier to draw, but i'm not sure, that system is a little confusing.
SLICK TRICKS
APEX NITRUS SIGHT
Old 03-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Muley

I just wanted to add not to be discouraged. Because of the wolf situation the breaks is the place for elk the last few years. Study the rules and you will be fine.

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks