Old 03-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Antelope

Have you talked to your father-in-law about those bait barrels yet? I'd be interested.

Gord
Old 03-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Musk Ox

The beaver carcass I have seen put out haven't been boxed up. They were in a metal bar cage with just larger enough openings so some of the beaver was available but the bear couldn't get the whole thing. The cage would allow the wind to carry the scent away to bring in the bear and was a high enough up that you judge how large a bear it was by how tall it stood.

Around here a used barrel can be bought fairly cheap then cut the top off and hing it. But I bet money the bear will tear it off before the weeks up. The last outfitter left the top off and put enough logs on it to make the bear hang around and it works to distract the bear while working to uncover it.

Barrels make for a good yard stick on how tall that shoulder is on mr. big.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liege View Post
Have you talked to your father-in-law about those bait barrels yet? I'd be interested.

Gord
I haven't yet he's away at ft.mac setting up some of his tailers.But as soon as I can I will talk to him.I would like to make them too.

sheldon
Old 03-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Drawn View Post
The beaver carcass I have seen put out haven't been boxed up. They were in a metal bar cage with just larger enough openings so some of the beaver was available but the bear couldn't get the whole thing. The cage would allow the wind to carry the scent away to bring in the bear and was a high enough up that you judge how large a bear it was by how tall it stood.

Around here a used barrel can be bought fairly cheap then cut the top off and hing it. But I bet money the bear will tear it off before the weeks up. The last outfitter left the top off and put enough logs on it to make the bear hang around and it works to distract the bear while working to uncover it.

I usually pack sticks in a standing barrel with the meat scraps and put the lid back on,it makes them work a little bit for the meat but I find oats keeps them going for weeks.I lay a barrel on its side with 6-1" holes and fill it with oats and tie it of with a 10' chain to a tree and they play with that for the whole month.

timba
Old 03-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Drawn View Post

I usually put sticks in the the barrel with my meat scraps and put the lid back on so they have to work to get the meat out of a 6" hole.

One of the best ideas I got from a member here was lay a barrel on its side full of oats with 6-1" hole stagered around it and then have a 10' chain from the barrel to the tree.The bears will roll it around to get the oats out,It will usually last a month with out having to refill it.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Musk Ox

I shot the first bear that came to the bait and looked as big as my 3D target...

Next trip I'll be more picky...
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 03-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Antelope

I guess I should have been a little more detailed in my explanation. When I say "box", I actually meant just what you described, BowDrawn. I have used expanded metal "boxes" before, I just don't have any right now, as I sold them all when I sold my bear camp. Now, I have to get some new ones made up for my own bear hunting. Some of the antics the bears will pull trying to get that beaver out of the box are pretty hilarious, but it will keep them coming back. Timba, what are you mixing in with your oats? I was going to use old fryer grease, liquid smoke and sugar to start with, and maybe some molasses. The other barrel (I have two at each site) will be meat scraps.

Gord
Old 03-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liege View Post
I guess I should have been a little more detailed in my explanation. When I say "box", I actually meant just what you described, BowDrawn. I have used expanded metal "boxes" before, I just don't have any right now, as I sold them all when I sold my bear camp. Now, I have to get some new ones made up for my own bear hunting. Some of the antics the bears will pull trying to get that beaver out of the box are pretty hilarious, but it will keep them coming back. Timba, what are you mixing in with your oats? I was going to use old fryer grease, liquid smoke and sugar to start with, and maybe some molasses. The other barrel (I have two at each site) will be meat scraps.

Gord
I just use plain oats but spread cooking oil from the restraunt around on the ground.Another good thing is mix fish guts and liquid smoke in a pail let it sit in the sun for a week then take it to the bait and drill holes around the top and hang it high in a tree.It seemed to work real well last year for us.

I think I'm going to try the expanded melt box at a bait I'm going to run at the father in laws.When I head home to the farm next month I weld one up.

sheldon
Old 03-23-2009, 12:31 AM
Muley

I can get old steel barrels for like $20 and sometimes for free. You just have to look. Good idea on the cage for beaver tho. And that reminds me I have to call some of my trapper friends. Bear season starts soon here