Old 01-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Whitetail

Default Bear Hunt Question For Ralph or Vicki

After many years I am finally giving in and going to do my first bear hunt and I was hoping for a recommendation on a good outfitter. I have hunted whitetails with many outfitters so I have seen the good, bad, and sometimes ugly. I have no real preference for location other than the hunt being a spring hunt. I guess what I am looking for is the same thing everyone else looks for. Quality bears, comfortable accomodations (doesn't need to be a 5 star lodge, just have a hot shower, comfortable bed and edible food) comfortable stands set up for bow hunting, and personable hosts. This hunt will not be cheap so getting burned is something I want to avoid.
Other than an outfitter recommendation, what about timing? Is it generally better early or later in the season? Does that depend on province?
Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Joe
Old 01-30-2009, 08:07 AM
Musk Ox

Do you want to fly or drive?

Where are you looking to go? Canada, or stay in US?

I know I'm not Ralph or Vicki but I just went on my first trip this year and I did get burned by the first guide I tried.

The guide I ended up with was real good. But not at the level of the guides Ralph and Vicki use.
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 01-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Musk Ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2206 View Post
After many years I am finally giving in and going to do my first bear hunt and I was hoping for a recommendation on a good outfitter. I have hunted whitetails with many outfitters so I have seen the good, bad, and sometimes ugly. I have no real preference for location other than the hunt being a spring hunt. I guess what I am looking for is the same thing everyone else looks for. Quality bears, comfortable accomodations (doesn't need to be a 5 star lodge, just have a hot shower, comfortable bed and edible food) comfortable stands set up for bow hunting, and personable hosts. This hunt will not be cheap so getting burned is something I want to avoid.
Other than an outfitter recommendation, what about timing? Is it generally better early or later in the season? Does that depend on province?
Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Joe
You know they list the outfitters they have used in or under the TV SHOW button listed right above this post in the green bar. Jus t click on it and the drop dwon will list the outfitters. Good luck on your first bear hunt.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Muley

JD,
Bear hunting can get in your blood and here is one that has been doing it since the 70's...yikes now you know my age! You are right on, we have had great hunts, ok hunts and hunts that really were BAD! Here are few things you need figure out.
Do you want to travel far? Are you looking for a color phase? Do you want more than one oppurtunity? HOw much do you want to $$$ and how much time can you take off?
There are some really good outfitters, like they said we have them on our outfitters page but before we get to that try and answer those questions.
Western Canada is great, BC is only spot & stalk it will cost a little more but you can take two bears and it really is a cool way to hunt..My Favorite!
Bait hunting is done all across Canada Alberta you can take 2 bears also and depending on where you go color phase oppurtunity can increase. Most of these camps are by wall tents and very comfortable. Sask has some great hunting too , some very good color phase and in any bear hunt if the outfitter really does his or her job you will have oppurtunity. Manitoba check out our two outfitters there you can't go wrong with either one, adn they all ahve color phases. Quebec has some very good bear hunting and normally if more affordable than most, mainly black bear there, not to many color.
Depending on the spring but here is what we base most of our times we pick each year on...Teh farther west you go the earlier you can count on, we will be hunting with Trophy West in BC the first week of May, then we head to Trophy Book Outfitters in Alberta middle of May and then we rap it up in mid June in Manitoba with Ken Gangler or Adreneline Outfitters. The more we get into June the more the sows get ready..(if you know what I mean) and this is when the big NO Brainers bears like Vicki likes to call them come out and want to play...The later in June the more rubbing you will see but we still ahve not seen any of those big boars rubbed like you see the smaller ones and sow later in June. Rubbing sort of looks like the top of my head......Doesn't make for a good rug or full mount. Hope this helps and let me knwo if you have any other questions. BEAR N DOWN 8 is almost here are you READY?????
Old 03-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Whitetail

Default Trophy Book Outfitters

Ralph- Vicki,
I will be hunting with Dan (Trophy Book Outfitters), May 16-24, will be hunting the main camp, is that the week you will be at the spike camp? Hope to meet. I hunted with Dan last year made my booking after I saw your program and you hunt with Dan.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Whitetail

Hello, I'll be at Trophy Book the 10th > 16th hunting Spike camp... This will be our first trip north to hunt bears... Can't hardly wait.... How many hunters does Dan run out of the main camp? Maybe we will cross paths on your way in... GOOD LUCK
Old 03-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Whitetail

Default Trophy Book Outfitters

When I talked with Dan he told me that he was having 4 hunters in camp the week of the 17th to the 24th. If you are staying at Chez Dube' on the 16th then we should cross paths. Good luck on your hunt.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Antelope

Don't forget Canada,isn't the only place to go to hunt bears.I liked my outfitter in Idaho,and the have colored phase bears also.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:34 AM
Whitetail

Question What would you do?

Yesterday I had a PM message on Bowsite warning me of an Outfitter that I had picked for this Spring's bear hunt. I'm now very concerned that I may have made a big mistake for not only myself but also the other 3 guys I talked into making this "once in a lifetime" guided hunt. This will be the first guided hunt for all of us and something that none of us can really afford but wanted to do while my dad is still able to make the trip.

We have all paid in full so it's too late to back out and go with another outfitter, so I'm now wondering if I should bring up my concerns with the guide now so he is also aware of my concerns, or just hope for the best when we get there.

Here is the review that was sent to me.... Any recommendations on what I should do?

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/OUTFI...?reportid=1245
Old 03-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Muley

Stickflinger...We are not sure who wrote that report but let us make some sense of it on our end.
We are not sure who all is fiming up there with Dan but we can speak for V & I on behalf of that report.
First....Yes we do stay longer, becasue Vicki & I film eachother, if we didn't we would only have a couple of days each to hunt, we normally switch off each afternoon so this way we can get in at least 4 sits each if we stay a few days longer. This year we are heading up to hunt with Dan again and arrive in Alberta May 16th and depart the 27th, this gives us each 5 sits.
Last year we hunted the spike camp and loved it, the first two hunters that hunted the spike camp with us both shot 2 bears each, and none of us had ANY baits that were only theirs to hunt. We did put up our Stealth cameras at numerous baits and on some of those the other hunters took thier bears. Almost on every bear hunt we send up some scent or we bring it if we can, anyone can do this, we buy it and send it up and we use this to sweeten up the baits we are running and checking everyday.
We don't sit in camp all day, we go out and run the baits with the guides, this allows us to learn and see more and we like this part of bear hunting. It is hard long days but normally pays big dividends. We have always felt the more you put into anything the more you get out.
Just for the record we only took 1 bear last year between V & I, yes it was slow, there were no beavers, and we thought that hurt the activity.
We were just not seeing a lot of pad prints in the dirt, hardly any scat on the roads and we traveled a lot each day. It seemed to us the bears were just not moving a lot, we saw other bears, but most were smaller than what we wanted. We know that the area has a lot of bears and that is why we are going back.
If I were you I would call Dan and be blunt about your feelings and let him know your concerns, we would do this with anyone we are going hunting with.. If you need anything from us please understand we are always here to try and do our very best for all of you, we are real and don't play games. If you feel something is wrong then face it and if we can help we will surely try. Let us know waht happens after you talk with him....