Old 12-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Musk Ox

I am a member. I think there is alot of great information there. Like most things I think there is a happy medium. Yes I am looking for bigger racks. I think having a healthier herd will improve our bucks as well. Yes we are on a lease. Yes we do food plots. No there are no fences. No we don't have a bunch of bucks in a green field to pick from. I hunted hard for 8 days straight and saw 2 definite mature shooters. Alot of young really nice bucks. Like most groups there are fanatics. QDM die hards say you should only shoot mature bucks no matter what the rack looks like. I'm not opposed to shooting a smaller buck. I just know that on this property there is some real potential.

Take it or leave it is your choice. I just think there is alot of good information there.
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 12-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Antelope

if you are actually using QDM correctly, then i think its great. but around here we have different organizations trying to basically attack each other with all there management areas. but in all reality they have poor ethics so i shouldn't compare every group to them.

2009 count
1 bear (bow)
1 turkey (20 gauge)

www.bigwoodstaxidermy.com
www.bigbearscents.com
Old 12-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Muley

Send a message via AIM to nova scotia

To each there own not against it at all its hunting and if someone wants to hunt leased QDM areas thats there choice its a almost guarantee your gona get a nice buck and see alot of deer but to me it just seems like your just sitting there and all you got to do is pull the trigger on the right deer you payed for
Old 12-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Black Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova scotia View Post
To each there own not against it at all its hunting and if someone wants to hunt leased QDM areas thats there choice its a almost guarantee your gona get a nice buck and see alot of deer but to me it just seems like your just sitting there and all you got to do is pull the trigger on the right deer you payed for
We own over 1000 acres which are inrolled in our state deer management program and, I am a member of Qdma . we have shot so far this year on this property 2 bucks and over 20 doe I myself have not taken a buck so far. I know alot of guys who lease and manage the same way so I think maybe you never hunted property which was properly managed, and maybe your just have the facts wrong. We do more for a healthy herd than anyone. Yea we want to see bigger racks on our bucks but you have to thin out the doe and keep people from shooting the babby bucks to let them reach at least 3 1/2 years old then you have to try to outsmart a buck of that age. You should try it sometime and see how often you come home empty handed
Old 12-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Muley

Not aganst it at all and If anybody would come home empty handed on a leased QDMA area to hunt it would be me LOL. I have never been to a leased QDMA to hunt an maybe I got it all wrong but thats what I picture what QDMA is.The property I like to hunt are places that very few people go and is not privatly owned is 3 hours on an old sled road (rought path) with a bike(ATV) back to a 4 bunk camp in the middle of no where. No roads no people no vehicals and no hot showers for 5 or 6 days LOL thems the kind of places where I like to hunt deer. its just something that you dont see where im from.plenty of privatly owned land around here for somebody to start doing it.maybe I will start I will keep everybody away from out back of the house here put a gate up for 5 or 6 years let him grow to about 170 180 and charge somebody 10 grand to come sit on my patio an kill him.Im not meaning to be smart but would that be QDM
Old 12-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Musk Ox

Nova Scotia

QDMA was developed as a modern way of setting limits and deciding what deer would be harvested in today's world. 20 years ago there was a mindset of shot anything with horns and leave does alone. The environment and the deer herds suffered. All QDMA is doing is trying to educate people in what has been learned about whitetail deer and their habitat. It's not trophy management, its not high fences, its not canned hunts. It is a source of information for people who want to take a little more active role in their property and whitetail herd. There are alot of hunters that don't have access to the remote locations you are describing. We might have permission on a few small farms, or lucky enough to have a lease or own a bigger place. We are just trying to make the most out of what we have.
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 12-19-2008, 03:07 PM
Muley

Its all good its hunting
Old 12-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Caribou

"It's not trophy management"

"Yea we want to see bigger racks on our bucks but you have to thin out the doe and keep people from shooting the babby bucks to let them reach at least 3 1/2 years old"

so how does this NOT say its trophy management?

"You should try it sometime and see how often you come home empty handed"

thought we were deer hunters? seems to me, from what I've read, QDMA is all about growing bigger racked deer? as far as health goes, seems God had it down pretty well for a long time before QDMA came along.

whether you believe in it or not, its just another example of the deer hunting folks coming up with another way to make money on us. how else can it be explained when you see so many big racked deer coming out of places that do NOT practice it?

last time I saw any numbers on it, the nationel average for a hunter taking deer with a bow was around 33%. have never had a season that I shot less than 3. so what you say? well, how many here wear scent lock clothing? how many smoke in their stands? how many pee out of their stands? I do all the above. so where does the advantage come in? just like the c'mere deer stuff. have heard more negative than positive about it. folkks, hunting has become a money making deal. just this old guys opinion. want another example? why do they keep making bows faster? because the manufacturer knows that hunters will buy them. just look at the number of posts there are on the boards you go to that talk about the new bows and how fast they are.
Ted Nugent United Sportsman of America
Bowhunter
Hunt hard, go home happy, thank God for all he has given you
Old 12-22-2008, 07:37 AM
Musk Ox

I'm not going to get into an argument. Like I said, take it or leave it. Call it what you want. Just wanted to share some knowledge.
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights