Old 12-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Black Bear

Default remington 710- 30-06

my parents are getting me this gun for christmas.., but i dont know... and i have read one forum who hated the gun and they were all mostly my friend said this and i heard that. another forum was made from guys who owned the gun and for the price they liked the gun. now this will be my first rifle, in illinois you cant use rifles for deer, so i am looking for a good starter rifle. i trust you guys more than others so i was wondering what you guys thought..help please
Old 12-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Caribou

I have a Remington 700 with Stainless Steel Barrel and synthetic stock. I have had this for many years and it never failed me. In fact,it has been rare for a deer to run after I shoot them with most just dropping in their tracks. I shoot usually at 100-200 yard range. I have dropped running coyotes at that range as well.

I bought this rifle back in the early 90's before they came out with the detachable box magazine. That is a feature you may want to have.

My Rem700SS is my main gun although I have the 700 also in muzzle loader as well as some Rem .22's.

I have a Marlin 30.30 before the Rem but I retired that good gun and have not used my Marlin for all those years.

Remington is a fine gun and I would not worry about "hearsay" or "they-say". Get what you like and fits your budget.

Perhaps the naysayers are just trying to justify their purchase of whatever they use in their mind.

I did mount a Leupold 3x9x50mm scope which I think costs around the same as the rifle. That is another consideration for you.

George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2Scott Strauss NYPD ESU

Last edited by Flintlock1776; 12-16-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:32 PM
Whitetail

Default Rem 710

FFAHunter, I had a Remington 710 in .270. I read about how everyone did not like them and they are no Remington 700 blablabla.
For a package gun with scope mounted and bore sighted for $350 when I bought it, I was completely happy with it.
After sighting it in at 50 yards, I shot an 8pt buck with it in Minnesota at 170 yards.
The only reason I sold the gun is because I wanted a 30-06 due to more/heavier bullet options.
Since I did have more money to spend second time around I opted for a Remington 700SPS in 30-06 and put a Leupold Rifleman 3-9X40 on it.

Hope this hepls.

COPPERDOG
Old 12-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Musk Ox

My youngun has one of these in 270. He's had it for a couple of years and has experienced no problems with it. With the scope that came with it, you can easily shoot 1.5'' groups, at 100 yds. For what he paid for it, it's a pretty good rifle. If it had been me, I'd have gotten the Savage, for about the same price. He likes Rem a little better than me and it was his money, so that's what he got.

Proud Parent of a Marine